Author Topic: Job losses in 2009 likely bigger than thought  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Job losses in 2009 likely bigger than thought
« on: October 07, 2010, 01:13:47 PM »
Job losses in 2009 likely bigger than thought

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The economy likely shed more jobs last year than previously thought, but analysts say the undercount by the government should prove less severe than it did during depths of the recession.

The Labor Department on Friday will give an initial estimate of how far off its count of employment may have been in the 12 months through March. The government admitted earlier this year that its count through March 2009 had overstated employment by 902,000 jobs.

The department blamed its 902,000 miss on faulty estimates of how many companies were created or destroyed, and it has not yet made any changes to the so-called birth-death model that produces this projection.
Reuters
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Job losses in 2009 likely bigger than thought
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 01:16:29 PM »
There's something on Drudge from Gallup, which states that the actual unemployment rate is 10.1% . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 01:21:10 PM »
The BLS has the unemployment at 9.6% for August 2010.
The government's final unemployment report before the midterm elections is based on job market conditions around mid-September. Gallup's modeling of the unemployment rate is consistent with Tuesday's ADP report of a decline of 39,000 private-sector jobs, and indicates that the government's national unemployment rate in September will be in the 9.6% to 9.8% range. This is based on Gallup's mid-September measurements and the continuing decline Gallup is seeing in the U.S. workforce during 2010.

Gallup
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 01:24:24 PM »
Nothing, nothing they say is the truth. The only truth he has kept is "fundamentally transform this country" :bird: :banghead:

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline true_blood

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 01:32:55 PM »
You mean to say the gubberment made a "mistake". Say it ain't so!! :banghead:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 02:55:06 PM »
Job losses in 2009 likely bigger than thought admitted

Fixed for truthiness.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 08:13:54 PM »
Problem is, I'm willing to venture out on a limb here and say that the figure will be "spun" as 9.7, not 10.1.

10 percent is the magical number.  If it's CLOSE to 10, it can be spun, but if it's over, this administration goes into the midterms well and truly screwed, because double-digit unemployment is what the voter is going to carry with them into the booth.

9.6 for August, no higher than 9.7 for September.  I just have a very strange feeling on this one.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline true_blood

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 08:28:03 PM »
Fixed for truthiness.
H5 for that. You are correct sir. :hi5:

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 08:28:18 PM »
this revised job loss report wasn't supposed to be released until November 3rd.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 11:12:46 AM »
Hey we have record number of people on food stamps now so according to Pelosi our economy should be booming any day now.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.