Author Topic: Shower Curtains  (Read 7309 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Shower Curtains
« on: October 03, 2010, 03:41:43 PM »
I bought a few shower curtains at Target to see what would look best with our bathroom. I found one that actually looked great and the background color blended with the wall color. Here it is below:

The color is different than the picture.

Anyway, my husband hung the shower rod and it's one of those curved rods that you have to drill into the tile to secure. The shower curtain is too short. It is the size that the great majority of shower curtains come which is 72x72. I have been searching for just white waffle weave or something similar in a 78" length. Most of those are shower stall curtains and 54" wide. I can find a ton of vinyl liners that are 72x78 but nothing else really. I could get an 84" length and shorten it but I would rather not. This is really frustrating.

Has anyone ever made a shower curtain before?  If I could find a fabric I like that came wide enough it should be fairly easy. Who would have thought finding a shower curtain would be so hard....oh and the great majority of shower curtains are butt ugly or tacky.

We are keeping that shower curtain and making a wall hanging out of part of it by stretching it over a wood frame. 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Shower Curtains
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:15:31 PM »
Hummmm, I can't figure out what it's trying to say........
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 02:23:26 PM »
I bought a few shower curtains at Target to see what would look best with our bathroom. I found one that actually looked great and the background color blended with the wall color. Here it is below:

The color is different than the picture.

Anyway, my husband hung the shower rod and it's one of those curved rods that you have to drill into the tile to secure. The shower curtain is too short. It is the size that the great majority of shower curtains come which is 72x72. I have been searching for just white waffle weave or something similar in a 78" length. Most of those are shower stall curtains and 54" wide. I can find a ton of vinyl liners that are 72x78 but nothing else really. I could get an 84" length and shorten it but I would rather not. This is really frustrating.

Has anyone ever made a shower curtain before?  If I could find a fabric I like that came wide enough it should be fairly easy. Who would have thought finding a shower curtain would be so hard....oh and the great majority of shower curtains are butt ugly or tacky.

We are keeping that shower curtain and making a wall hanging out of part of it by stretching it over a wood frame. 

Well, I don't sew, but I wouldn't think it would be that difficult.  I have a waffle weave one I found at World Market, but I just checked online and it is 72" long.  What I have seen before, that looks pretty cool, is having some extra fabric sewn at the bottom, to make it longer.  That may be an idea. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 02:56:55 PM »
Well, I don't sew, but I wouldn't think it would be that difficult.  I have a waffle weave one I found at World Market, but I just checked online and it is 72" long.  What I have seen before, that looks pretty cool, is having some extra fabric sewn at the bottom, to make it longer.  That may be an idea. 

I thought about that but because the material would be totally different I think it might look odd. I guess I could try it because I wouldn't really be out anything. Target sells a waffle weave that is long enough online but it doesn't have very good reviews.  You would think there would be more options out there for a plain textured really nicely made fabric shower curtain longer than 72". 

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 06:40:08 PM »
If one is using a shower curtain liner, what does it matter how "good" the outside curtain is??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 07:24:46 PM »
If one is using a shower curtain liner, what does it matter how "good" the outside curtain is??

I don't want it to fall apart and the one that I found at target had reviews that said it did and also looked cheap. I don't want cheap when this will be the main bath guests use when they come over.

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 09:24:12 PM »
Could you give us a picture when your done. I'd like to see it and the bathroom. I bet you're good at decorating.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 09:51:19 PM »
Could you give us a picture when your done. I'd like to see it and the bathroom. I bet you're good at decorating.

Here are a few pictures.

Tub refinished

Before

I'll post final pictures after we get the accessories up.

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 10:06:33 PM »
I can't wait. I bet it will be beautiful.Are you having the work done or is it a home project between the two you.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 10:25:47 PM »
I can't wait. I bet it will be beautiful.Are you having the work done or is it a home project between the two you.

My husband has done all of it except we had someone refinish the tub. He even made the medicine cabinet out of a mirror medicine cabinet that was already there. 

Offline cavegal

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 10:28:50 PM »
If you make one, put the little metal things in the bottom so the curtain will stay flat.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 04:47:46 AM »
If you make one, put the little metal things in the bottom so the curtain will stay flat.

Ummm, this is a "Shower curtain". Most metal things rust......  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 08:32:50 PM »
My husband has done all of it except we had someone refinish the tub. He even made the medicine cabinet out of a mirror medicine cabinet that was already there. 

Have to say it's beautiful work.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 08:39:04 PM »
Drool!!! I LOVE it! I remember the pics you posted as you guys were renovating. You have EXCELLENT taste!

It's a pain to try and find a shower curtain! We just went through that but luckily we could use a 72". It was just a matter of finding a nice one.

I like the idea of sewing one or hemming a long one. I know that stinks but it may be worth it to get what you want.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline cavegal

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 08:44:41 PM »
Ummm, this is a "Shower curtain". Most metal things rust......  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
Stainless steel. Hey I hate shower curtains,they remind me of horror movies, all of a sudden the knife or something come thru it ...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:49:41 PM by cavegal »

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 08:51:03 PM »
Stainless steel. Hey I hate shower curtains,they remind me of horror movies, all of a sudden the knife or something come thru it ...

The tub had a shower door on it before and it was so gross. I hate shower doors on bathtubs. On shower only stalls I would love to have no shower door or curtain but we have really thick class on our master bath shower. I make everyone who takes a shower wipe it down every time.  They hate doing it.   

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
The tub had a shower door on it before and it was so gross. I hate shower doors on bathtubs. On shower only stalls I would love to have no shower door or curtain but we have really thick class on our master bath shower. I make everyone who takes a shower wipe it down every time.  They hate doing it.   

:cheersmate:

I hate shower doors too.  When I bought this house they had to replace the shower pan.  I instructed them just to replace the tile in white....the rest is blecky beige, and to dismantle the shower doors.  Dammed if they didn't leave the doors in the house! :mental:  I didn't want them to fix it, because I have plans to retile the whole thing, but they didn't want to give me a cut on the price.  I just have a shower curtain now, and love it. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 09:10:05 PM »
I found one at bed bath and beyond online. It probably is a cheap POS but we will see.  It's not cotton which is what I wanted.

I tried to post a picture but it didnt work  here is a link.   http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/EnlargeProduct.asp?SKU=110141&ZMPHT=380/59374110141CZR.JPG

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 06:16:16 PM »
My shower curtain saga continues. The one I ordered came today and looks all wrong. I'm going to make the one I already have work. I have an idea of something to do and I will post it after I finish it.  I know you all can't wait for me to solve my dilemma.  :-) 

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 06:47:02 PM »

Funny you mention that...

Think Geek

nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 06:55:16 PM »
We have glass doors on our shower. They are not fixed at the bottom and slide apart to clean.

Supposedly you can put Turtle Wax on them, and it will keep them from water spotting.

I like the shower liners from Big Lots..they are $2 or $3, keep the shower curtain from getting nasty, and when the liner gets nasty, it goes into a nice big garbage bag!  :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 07:27:14 PM »

Funny you mention that...

Think Geek

Creepy but cool at the same time.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 07:32:49 PM »
We have glass doors on our shower. They are not fixed at the bottom and slide apart to clean.

Supposedly you can put Turtle Wax on them, and it will keep them from water spotting.

I like the shower liners from Big Lots..they are $2 or $3, keep the shower curtain from getting nasty, and when the liner gets nasty, it goes into a nice big garbage bag!  :-)

I think a glass shower screen would have been better but it's too late now that K screwed the shower curtain rod in the tile.  Oh well, live and learn.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 07:39:30 PM »

I like this idea.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 08:57:35 PM »
I like this idea.

They have the plastic or the fabric ones. I like the fabric. I buy the clear plastic ones at Dollar Tree :-). I can't really tell the difference in them. But then I lived in a college dorm for 3 years and I was just grateful there WAS a shower curtain!  :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.