Author Topic: Another Earth?  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
Another Earth?
« on: September 30, 2010, 12:18:02 AM »
WASHINGTON – Astronomers say they have for the first time spotted a planet beyond our own in what is sometimes called the Goldilocks zone for life: Not too hot, not too cold. Juuuust right.

Not too far from its star, not too close. So it could contain liquid water. The planet itself is neither too big nor too small for the proper surface, gravity and atmosphere.

It's just right. Just like Earth.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100929/ap_on_sc/us_sci_new_earths

I don't wnt to put to much into this right away, but this looks great. The only problem is getting our population ther, and starting over. Assuming that all the climate, water, etc issues are indeed inhabitable for human life.

I'd certainly be willing to aid in populating the new planet.  :naughty:

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Another Earth?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 05:13:41 AM »
Since you're not a liberal, we might just allow you to remain in the gene pool......

But seriously........ -42 to 10°F ?? I wonder if this belongs to the Andorians.....??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 05:27:59 AM »
Apparently the area right around the "equator" right between the night / day gap should be habitable. Because the planet doesn't turn around it's own axis all that much that area is fairly constant. The reason they have such a wide average temperature is that half the planet is perpetually dark and thus cold while the other half is perpetually in the sun and probably rather toasty.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 07:25:48 AM »
Obviously there can be life of some form or variety that is completly unknown to us so the headline to the article is practically a given.
Maybe I am taking it wrong but somehow it seemed that the suggestion was Earthlike life was possible but after this paragraph...

But there are still many unanswered questions about this strange planet. It is about three times the mass of Earth, slightly larger in width and much closer to its star — 14 million miles away versus 93 million. It's so close to its version of the sun that it orbits every 37 days. And it doesn't rotate much, so one side is almost always bright, the other dark.

Temperatures can be as hot as 160 degrees or as frigid as 25 degrees below zero, but in between — in the land of constant sunrise — it would be "shirt-sleeve weather," said co-discoverer Steven Vogt of the University of California at Santa Cruz.

...that seems to be an optimistic but unrealistic conclusion.
Wouldn`t it make for a gravity issue that no life existing on earth could deal with?

Interested in thoughts of those much more scientifically educated then I can claim to be.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 11:57:35 AM »
EARTH FIRST
THEN we strip mine the other planets.

:popcorn:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 12:01:40 PM »
Obviously there can be life of some form or variety that is completly unknown to us so the headline to the article is practically a given.
Maybe I am taking it wrong but somehow it seemed that the suggestion was Earthlike life was possible but after this paragraph...

...that seems to be an optimistic but unrealistic conclusion.
Wouldn`t it make for a gravity issue that no life existing on earth could deal with?

Interested in thoughts of those much more scientifically educated then I can claim to be.

Yeah, it seems that if the planet has 3 times the mass of earth, we'd weigh 3 times as much there than here. Whoa, if I wasn't a candidate for the fat boy program before, I sure as hell would be there!  :rotf:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 12:07:46 PM »
The temperature range does allow for the possibility of liquid water, which could give it a chance of some form of life though.  Anything from there would have more strength on earth.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 03:33:03 PM »
Yeah, it seems that if the planet has 3 times the mass of earth, we'd weigh 3 times as much there than here. Whoa, if I wasn't a candidate for the fat boy program before, I sure as hell would be there!  :rotf:

Yeah, but think of how ripped you'd get slogging around in 3 gees.  You'd look like you were fresh out of 'muscle puffs' back in basic again.  :-)
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 03:45:04 PM »
The planet may be three times the size of Earth, but apparently it is not nearly as dense, rocky rather than built around a molten nickel-iron core, so speculation is that the gravity is not greatly different from here.

This also means the planet would be tectonically inactive, and with a trivial magnetic field to protect it from solar effects (However, it orbits a red dwarf, so I believe those would be much less than we experience).  It is quite possible that life once existed on the planet, whether it still hangs on is a lot more iffy.   

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 03:51:37 PM »
I guess the problem that I have with it is...."it doesn't rotate much......"  This implies that it does rotate, albeit very slowly, which could mean that the temperate zone is constantly slowly moving........I suppose a winter (or summer) that is several decades long might appeal to some.........or colonists could revert to a nomadic life as they did eons ago......

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 03:58:54 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100929/ap_on_sc/us_sci_new_earths

I don't wnt to put to much into this right away, but this looks great. The only problem is getting HALF our population ther, and starting over. Assuming that all the climate, water, etc issues are indeed inhabitable for human life.

I'd certainly be willing to aid in populating the new planet.  :naughty:

fixt
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 04:34:26 PM »
I guess the problem that I have with it is...."it doesn't rotate much......"  This implies that it does rotate, albeit very slowly, which could mean that the temperate zone is constantly slowly moving........I suppose a winter (or summer) that is several decades long might appeal to some.........or colonists could revert to a nomadic life as they did eons ago......

doc

Perhaps slowly drifting but also staying constant for substantial lengths of time.
Sustaining life as we are familiar with doesn`t just require a presence of fresh water but the ability of the atmosphere to distribute it.
Wouldn`t "weather" as we see it be nearly impossible under those conditions or am I (pun intended) all wet? :p

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 09:38:30 PM »

I'm in favor!

:(

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 05:14:57 PM »

doc

I think it might be completely tide-locked, the way I read the article I found on it...i.e., it does rotate, once every orbital cycle, meaning the same side constantly faced its mother star.  Any colonization would pretty much be in tunnels under the surface, and probably in the twilight band at that.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 02:55:35 PM »
I know it won't happen/isn't too feasible, and all that, but purely for a Sci-Fi point of view, think about a tunnel society. Like if a portion of us moved up there, and actually did it.

Sounds pretty badass to me, actually. We'd have to adapt, of course, but it'd be something new. A new challenge.

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 03:32:15 PM »
What's really neat about this is that they are finally finding rocky planets. It's looking like solar systems are pretty common out there.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 05:19:40 PM »
I know it won't happen/isn't too feasible, and all that, but purely for a Sci-Fi point of view, think about a tunnel society. Like if a portion of us moved up there, and actually did it.

Sounds pretty badass to me, actually. We'd have to adapt, of course, but it'd be something new. A new challenge.

Sounds kinda like a first-person shooter back-story, doesn't it?

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 08:43:28 PM »
Yeah, a little bit. If they haven't already, they could make a PS3 about it.