Author Topic: Why do YOU obey the law  (Read 6717 times)

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
Why do YOU obey the law
« on: September 25, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Why do YOU obey the law
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 11:51:53 AM »
Because of the old adage, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

Which explains why I might speed, but don't DO speed.  Well, that and the destructive habits which makes one turn to crime as well.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 11:56:13 AM »
I'd rather keep the money in my bank, instead of paying fines to the government.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 12:02:16 PM »
I think you are missing the point of the post.

For the past 10 years the government has willfully ignored its own laws and allowed people to commit fraud, while trying to maintain an air of legitimacy.

So the question is, is a government that won't enforce its own laws, legitimate and other than the threat of force, what power do they have.

We live in Soviet America.
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

• Oh snap!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 12:18:38 PM »
The government, for the most part, has and always will break their own laws.  Trust me, I do not follow the law to a T.  It would be amazing if we can get to a point where the government follows the very laws they sign. 

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 12:28:34 PM »
This "admin" not only disregards the law, it uses the Constitution as toilet paper.
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 01:04:37 PM »
I'm not certain whether the board at the link is economic in nature, or a bunch of "survivalists" with some rather limited economic knowledge.

I certainly have no argument that the Obama administration acted improperly (unconstitutionally) with regard to the GM bailout......it should have been allowed to fail.  The concept of "too big to fail" is simply ludicrous, and only is used when some political patronage group (in this case the unions, which I abhor) ox is at risk of getting gored.

And addressing oxen getting gored, and political patronage groups, the vast bulk of the mortgage crisis was engendered by liberal policies regarding home ownership......Over the years, my wife and I have owned over twenty houses......all were purchased with conventional mortgages, with the requisite 20% or more down payment, appropriate submission of income and asset documentation, and all of the necessary terms fullfilled for a loan committee to review our "ability to  pay".  In each of these cases, the leans were paid as promised monthly, and paid off when the house was sold......end of discussion.

The problem arises when politicians suddenly decide that "home ownership is a right"......and start pressuring financial institutions to provide loans to people that can't qualify for a conventional mortgage.

This could be stopped tomorrow, but that would mean that huge numbers of minorities, welfare cheats, illegal aliens, and general deadbeats could not "qualify" for a mortgage, and therefore be either forced to remain in their hovels for the foreseeable future. or become homeless  All of the aforementioned groups share one thing in common......they are Democrat Party key constituency groups.......and would raise all kinds of hell, shouting "racism", "redlining", "discrimination", et al........until the politicians finally knuckle under and throw them a bone at the expense of undermining the mortgage industry to the point where it requires yet another taxpayer bailout.  You simply can't have it both ways economically......either you have rules that provide for the proper system of lending or you don't........you can't have government interference in a process to the extent that it violates generally accepted accounting and business practices, and expect it to function.

So to answer your basic question.......Why do I obey the law........I do it because it is the honorable and civilized thing to do..........and I have the reasonable expectation that most others will as well.

That said, I DO think that it is way past time for a little "Economic Darwinism"  to apply some chlorine to the financial gene pool.....

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 02:34:59 PM »
I think you are missing the point of the post.

For the past 10 years the government has willfully ignored its own laws and allowed people to commit fraud, while trying to maintain an air of legitimacy.

So the question is, is a government that won't enforce its own laws, legitimate and other than the threat of force, what power do they have.

We live in Soviet America.

Which company did you work for?  Enron or Arthur Andersen?  Im guessing you had a large chunk of your retirement portfolio sunk into Enron stock right?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 02:40:21 PM »
Karl is no surviliast, quite the opposite.  I find the manhattan favoritism ironic considering how quickly they abandoned your gang with donations in 2006 and 2008 :-) they ran back.  When the poll numbers told them to.  Hint: I'm a former member of the manhattan club. I laugh at both parties.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 03:07:51 PM »
Karl is no surviliast, quite the opposite.  I find the manhattan favoritism ironic considering how quickly they abandoned your gang with donations in 2006 and 2008 :-) they ran back.  When the poll numbers told them to.  Hint: I'm a former member of the manhattan club. I laugh at both parties.

Imagine that.  ATJ avoiding a direct yes/no answer to a question.   :whatever:  Typical Lib.

You think you're being clever or smart or whatever with your references to 10 years ago etc.

But all it is...is a pretty pathetic attempt to find another way to repeat the typical ignorant Liberal meme that "it's Bush's fault".

Blame Bush all you want for the misdeeds you want where AA and Enron are concerned.  But if you were truly being honest with yourself you'd see that they have much deeper roots and made just as many donations to your fellow Libtards as they did any Republican.

And it sure wasn't a Republican PResident that Ken Lay was working on a sweetheart pipeline deal with over here in this part of the world now was it?

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 03:19:43 PM »
On May 19, 1994, Clinton met here with former Indian Prime Minister P.V. Rao. Rao told Clinton that India was interested in opening its centrally controlled economy up to American corporate investors.

Clinton, in turn, instructed then-Energy Secretary Hazel O'Leary to lead a delegation of corporate executives to India on a trade mission.

"The mission marked the first official visit to India by a U.S. cabinet secretary in many years," Energy's internal trip report states.

Enron executives joined O'Leary on the July 1994 junket, whereupon they planted the seeds of the ill-fated Dabhol deal.

Then in January 1995, Lay accompanied Brown on the Commerce trade mission that helped seal the deal.

The Clinton administration got two federal export-finance agencies – the Export-Import Bank and the Overseas Private Investment Corp. – to help underwrite the project by kicking in nearly $400 million in loans.

During the final negotiations, Clinton aide Thomas "Mack" McLarty rode herd on the project in Washington for Lay, his old energy-industry buddy.

He tracked the progress of Clinton's ambassador to India, Frank Wisner, who was helping speed the deal along.

Even Clinton pitched in to help his golfing partner, Lay, by sending McLarty memos and articles on the project.

(The ex-president's lobbying for the Enron deal even continued into the Bush administration, sources close to the Dabhol project say, when he visited Indian officials in Mumbai, India, in April. At the time, Enron was fighting the state electricity board for back payments.)

In June 1996, India gave final OK to Lay's project. Four days before the approval, Enron gave $100,000 to Clinton's party.

McLarty and Wisner were not forgotten. Lay snatched up McLarty for Enron when he left the White House. And Wisner got a seat on the board of an Enron subsidiary when he stepped down as ambassador in 1997.

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=12439

Analysts agree that this clunker of a deal is what started the decline of Enron.  So when you start your "10 years ago" crap...I suggest that for the sake of honesty...you'd better make that "16 years ago".

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 04:02:29 PM »
Which company did you work for?  Enron or Arthur Andersen?  Im guessing you had a large chunk of your retirement portfolio sunk into Enron stock right?

LOL, I graduated the year Kenny boy blew that place up, cost me a job offer but I got a free $3000 signing bonus for not having to work a day, I had another one rather quickly.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »
So to answer your basic question.......Why do I obey the law........I do it because it is the honorable and civilized thing to do..........and I have the reasonable expectation that most others will as well.

Agreed--and I'd like to add, I do it to be a positive example for others to follow.  If one person follows my example and does the same, then I've left the world a better place.

Oh-- :hi5: given, DOC . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 04:14:52 PM »
Here is why I laugh at the Tea Parties and the overall conservative movement and no, I'm not a typical liberal.

Conservatives are overly obsessed with the GM and Chrysler bailout over unions, which lost their power even within the Democratic party years ago.

However, as seen in another thread, banking bailouts and Federal Reserve Behavior seem to be OK to a better extent than the GM and Chrysler bailout even though, fundamentally, ethically, moral hazard wise, and monetarily they are going to cost the taxpayer more.

It is ironic, I hate .gov probably as much as most of you do, for entirely different reasons.  My reason are sane, yours are all imagined.

I swear you bitch about welfare, I don't care about welfare. Why I don't talk about it, it is a ridiculously small amount of bullshit.  It is like bitching about the national endowment of the arts.  Peanuts.    I'll tell you why simply, I'm smart enough I'll never have to turn to it as a first reason, I can always find a job somewhere.  The second reason is that it is such a small amount of money compared to other subsidies it isn't even on my agenda list of waste.  I could give a flying **** if a few ignorant assholes get some government cheese to keep them pacified when some really smart assholes are sending lobbyist to grab the whole nest egg.

I mean, we live in a culture of such pervasive fraud and you guys are worried about the kids stealing the piggy bank while armed robbers are taking your savings out of the bank.

That is why I honestly laugh, and I laugh at the DU crowd too.  They are a little worse than you are, but really in the same boat.  Which is the saddest thing, you are in the same boat and are too dumb to drop the finger pointing and look to the people that are actually screwing you.

Seriously, the Manhattan club dropped donating to your guys like bad apples in 2006 as soon as they saw the polling data and ran to the DNC for 4 years, they are now running back to you.  Not because they think you know what you are talking about, because they think you are going to win and what a place in the room.  The sick thing is like the dumbasses on the left, your leaders all going to welcome them in and kiss their ass even though without .gov support, they are bankrupt.

I could go on.  The system itself is corrupt and your heroes are all puppets.  Bitch about the DNC all you want, I look forward to February when the same shit is happening with your guys.

It is funny I think Barack Obama is a douche bag puppet.  I also think George W. Bush was a Douche bag puppet.  Yet I'm a liberal douche.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
Agreed--and I'd like to add, I do it to be a positive example for others to follow.  If one person follows my example and does the same, then I've left the world a better place.

Oh-- :hi5: given, DOC . . .

Good luck with that  :loser:

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 04:22:19 PM »
LOL, I graduated the year Kenny boy blew that place up, cost me a job offer but I got a free $3000 signing bonus for not having to work a day, I had another one rather quickly.

Still the refusal to answer a simple question with a simple answer.

You Libs avoid giving straightforward answers the say way you avoid reality and facts.

ETA: So you graduated in 1997?  When the Indian Power Plant project started to tank and drag share prices down?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 04:39:15 PM by TxRadioguy »

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 04:33:09 PM »
Here is why I laugh at the Tea Parties and the overall conservative movement and no, I'm not a typical liberal.

I swear you bitch about welfare, I don't care about welfare. Why I don't talk about it, it is a ridiculously small amount of bullshit.  It is like bitching about the national endowment of the arts.  Peanuts.    I'll tell you why simply, I'm smart enough I'll never have to turn to it as a first reason, I can always find a job somewhere.  The second reason is that it is such a small amount of money compared to other subsidies it isn't even on my agenda list of waste.  I could give a flying **** if a few ignorant assholes get some government cheese to keep them pacified when some really smart assholes are sending lobbyist to grab the whole nest egg.

I could go on.  The system itself is corrupt and your heroes are all puppets.  Bitch about the DNC all you want, I look forward to February when the same shit is happening with your guys.

Well....

I wouldn't call 12% of total expenditures "rediculously small"......

I guess that basically tells us  that for the most part you don't have a clue what you are talking about......and when you add in the "welfare" components that are included in both education and health (spelled MEDICAID)......you've substantially exceeded the defense budget.....including the price of the two "optional" wars you cited.

Jake....talk to us when you  do your homework, as it stands you are just pulling crap out of your ass.....doesn't sound like you are so smart after all.....just a tired out of work number crunching office drone, from an obsolete rust belt burg that the unions killed several decades ago......still bitching about Enron.....

You're ****ing pathetic.....

doc
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:19:11 PM by TVDOC »

• Oh snap!
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 05:09:47 PM »
GM & Chrysler wouldn't have needed a bailout if they stopped making shitty cars.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »
Good luck with that  :loser:

Unlike what you seem to imply by highlighting and ridiculing my post, I do believe that most people are good.  I also believe in a herd mentality--if one sees someone doing a bad act, they will be tempted to follow said individual and commit other bad acts.  As has been said to me, "Focus on the negative and the negative increases.  Focus on the positive, and the positive increases."  If one sees someone doing good, they are more likely to also do good.  Besides, only one person has to go out and "pay it forward," to borrow a phrase.

So, . . . GFY. :bird:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 05:34:57 PM »
I obey the law in most cases because doing so is beneficial to my interests. In some cases because I don't really like the idea of prison.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 08:13:04 PM »
I obey the law because I spent a couple of nights in jail years ago. (bar brawl... they took everyone to jail)

I did not like it then and I doubt I would like it now.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 08:43:06 PM »
I obey the law in most cases because doing so is beneficial to my interests. In some cases because I don't really like the idea of prison.
[/b]

Yup.  That would be the train I am riding on....
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 08:56:07 PM »
[/b]

Yup.  That would be the train I am riding on....

Same here. I'm too good looking for prison.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

• Oh snap!
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 09:00:53 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iLH7Lb1Et8[/youtube]

You would be the belle of the ball.  Don't drop the soap.

Sorry, that was the best video I could find of Prison Mike.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 11:59:17 PM »
GM & Chrysler wouldn't have needed a bailout if they stopped making shitty cars.

Or if their workers weren't getting drunk and high on their lunch breaks.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford