Author Topic: Dem house primary challenge to test anti-war angst in Iowa  (Read 2113 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Dem house primary challenge to test anti-war angst in Iowa
« on: January 10, 2008, 11:22:43 AM »
Liberal activists, disgruntled that the Democratic Party takeover of Congress has not expedited an end to the Iraq war, have threatened to sponsor 2008 primary challenges to House Democrats who they believe haven't been tough enough in standing up to President Bush.

And while this threat has not materialized widely, there are a small handful of such challenges under way -- the latest in the central Iowa district represented by six-term Democrat Leonard L. Boswell.

Boswell has drawn opposition in the 3rd District, located in and around the state capital of Des Moines, from Ed Fallon, a former state legislator with a populist approach. An unsuccessful contender in the 2006 Democratic primary for governor, Fallon strongly opposes the U.S. military involvement in Iraq and is hoping to channel the frustrations of the anti-war left in the June 3 House primary.

Fallon, in an interview with CQ Politics on Wednesday, said, "Like most people in Iowa, I'm pretty unimpressed" with the Democratic-run Congress' efforts to curb the Iraq war, which Bush launched nearly five years ago. House and Senate Democrats did make numerous efforts last year to set timelines for troop withdrawals or set other conditions for continued funding of the war, but ended up yielding each time to threats of filibusters by Senate Republicans or vetoes by Bush.

"I think they could have shown a lot more courage and a lot more backbone," said Fallon, who in recent days filed candidacy papers with the Federal Election Commission to run against Boswell. "I think with more members who are voting the interests of their constituents on this issue, we might see more significant progress."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cq/20080110/pl_cq_politics/politics2653514;_ylt=Am.P9GEFvP_MptSGWMedLAqyFz4D

2008 is going to be interesting!! :popcorn:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Dem house primary challenge to test anti-war angst in Iowa
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 11:45:42 AM »
Fallon has only a slightly better chance of beating Boswell in Iowa, than I do of beating Vast Teddy in Massachusetts.
apres moi, le deluge