Author Topic: Obama is an economic idiot  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
Obama is an economic idiot
« on: September 09, 2010, 06:50:49 AM »
Outside this tax cut debate we seem to constantly be getting into with each other.

Just watched him with George S.

"When I came into office, I had to make sure the banks didn't fail and that the auto industry didn't fail"

They should have failed.  None of them should exists in present form right now.  No one tried to save typewriter factories in 1980.

The banks screwed up, they are still screwing up, mostly because you left the same people in charge.  You had a mechanism to deal with this in the FDIC.  You failed to allow nature to take its course and allow for an orderly restructuring of the system where depositors were protected and losers were punished.  You also turned a blind eye to fraud.

On the auto industry, GM should have gone through the process of being broken up.

Overall on the policy of economics in international trade.  If there is a country that is importing into your country that does not share your value on an issue, and not sharing that value leads to a competitive advantage, you tariff their goods to eliminate the economic advantage or you abandon your value.  You can't keep a value that is economically a disadvantage and compete with the goods domestically.

There has been, and never will be something called free trade between nations.  Trade always has a cost.  Tariffs are protective if you value something.  If you allow another nation to produce goods by dumping Mercury in the water and it makes their goods cheaper not taxing the hell out of those goods is stupid.

Frankly I view the WTO, UN, and the IMF as threats to US Sovereignty and democracy.

I got in "trouble" a few times on DU when I said I'm not a citizen of the world.  I'm legally a citizen of the United States of America.

I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Obama is an economic idiot
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 08:46:39 AM »
Well, yes he is.  He has absolutely no qualifications to make economic decisions, Sarah Palin truly was far more qualified than he was, despite all the vitriol focused on her lately by Dems and the establishment GOP.  All Obama knows about economics comes from his education alone, which while prestigious in name was empty of practical knowledge as well as being chock full of Keynesian ideology (Which has failed spectacularly when applied in this recession so far).

His real world experience in 'Community organizing,' when you deconstruct what that really means, translates into 'Helping people take advantage of entitlement programs,' which really means just finding out where the magic money tree is and leading people over to pull leaves off of it.  He has literally never done or even studied anything beyond an undergrad survey course that would give him the remotest clue how the money gets on the magic tree. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:14:12 AM »
Well, yes he is.  He has absolutely no qualifications to make economic decisions, Sarah Palin truly was far more qualified than he was, despite all the vitriol focused on her lately by Dems and the establishment GOP.  All Obama knows about economics comes from his education alone, which while prestigious in name was empty of practical knowledge as well as being chock full of Keynesian ideology (Which has failed spectacularly when applied in this recession so far).

His real world experience in 'Community organizing,' when you deconstruct what that really means, translates into 'Helping people take advantage of entitlement programs,' which really means just finding out where the magic money tree is and leading people over to pull leaves off of it.  He has literally never done or even studied anything beyond an undergrad survey course that would give him the remotest clue how the money gets on the magic tree. 

I'd prefer someone other than Sarah.  There are much more capable and intelligent women to run the nation than Sarah.  Many are conservatives. It is none of my business but she seems to have extreme problems managing her own family.

This is not an ideoligical thing, it is a character thing.  I don't trust her to do the right thing where a choice is between Sarah and the country.
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 09:52:29 AM »
I will state openly that GM was "rescued" during the September/October part of the campaign because the Bush administration didn`t want the political fallout of a once great American institution failing.
The public perception at that moment when the election was still possibly in the balance would have ended it for McCain.
Didn`t matter anyways as it turned out and yes GM should have been let go under,then and after Jan 20th.

Political decisions but bad economic ones imo.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 10:01:16 AM »
I'd prefer someone other than Sarah.  There are much more capable and intelligent women to run the nation than Sarah.  Many are conservatives. It is none of my business but she seems to have extreme problems managing her own family.

This is not an ideoligical thing, it is a character thing.  I don't trust her to do the right thing where a choice is between Sarah and the country.

I was only speaking with regards to the limited set of Presidential candidates actually presented in the election, not the universe of possible future candidates.  It is more a reflection on their lack of attachment to reality than her own qualities that she had more experience with real economic entities than any of the other three, including John McCain.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 10:51:24 AM »

Hillary v. Sarah in 2012

Pick one.

:evillaugh:

Not that I expect either to be on a ticket and I think Palin is much more effective as a kingmaker.

That said: your OP is spot-on but the next time you want to curry favor with your conservative overlords just bring beer.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 10:57:23 AM »
Hillary v. Sarah in 2012

Pick one.

:evillaugh:

Not that I expect either to be on a ticket and I think Palin is much more effective as a kingmaker.

That said: your OP is spot-on but the next time you want to curry favor with your conservative overlords just bring beer.

I've been railing about the banks for 1 year now.  When I see GM saying they are profitable now, I scream.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 04:37:31 PM »
I've been railing about the banks for 1 year now.  When I see GM saying they are profitable now, I scream.
I was railing about them in 2008 during the election. Bush should have let them fail and McCain came across as a confused fool on the issue.

Obama won that debate by saying nothing.

If we had let them fail we'd be climbing out of the hole by now and have several hundred billion dollars in debt less than we do now.

BTW - Hillary or Palin?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 05:42:57 PM »
I was railing about them in 2008 during the election. Bush should have let them fail and McCain came across as a confused fool on the issue.

If we had let them fail we'd be climbing out of the hole by now and have several hundred billion dollars in debt less than we do now.

BTW - Hillary or Palin?

Canada, I think there would be a civil war in a year...with either one of them.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 05:52:53 PM »

BTW - Hillary or Palin?

On that issue, the banking system going broke overnight has to be a kind of shocking moment.  In fairness to George, he woke up one morning thinking the world was one way, woke up another to find out it wasn't.

One has to wonder why the lower tiers in government failed so badly that the leader was blindsided.  Twice.

FDR at least had the chance to see that the Japanese were getting aggressive.