Author Topic: China to build $2 bil railroad in Iran. Central Asia to follow.  (Read 2045 times)

Offline gurn

• "Are they paying us? Why aren't they paying us?"
China to build $2 bil railroad in Iran. Central Asia to follow.
« on: September 08, 2010, 06:00:17 AM »
Why isn't the US doing this instead of spending money on bail-outs & wars?

When China spends money, it actually builds stuff. And it actually
gets stuff in return -- resources.

China to build $2 billion dollar railway in Iran. Middle-East, Persia, Central Asia to Beijing.

"Our weak President, that kisses everybody's ass, is in more wars than I have ever seen. Now he's in Libya, he's in Afghanistan, he's in Iraq. Nobody respects us."
"This guy got the Nobel Peace Prize and every time I look is he's going into another country."

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
Re: China to build $2 bil railroad in Iran. Central Asia to follow.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 06:01:09 AM »
Why isn't the US doing this instead of spending money on bail-outs & wars?

When China spends money, it actually builds stuff. And it actually
gets stuff in return -- resources.

China to build $2 billion dollar railway in Iran. Middle-East, Persia, Central Asia to Beijing.

We stopped doing that in the 1960s.  Mostly because the banking clans took over the government around that time.
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline gurn

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:31:49 AM »
It's probably moot anyway. China has a certain style abroad and the countries they use don't like them or trust them.
And they shouldn't.

But it's sure nice to watch a capitalist society build stuff & get something valuable in return.
"Our weak President, that kisses everybody's ass, is in more wars than I have ever seen. Now he's in Libya, he's in Afghanistan, he's in Iraq. Nobody respects us."
"This guy got the Nobel Peace Prize and every time I look is he's going into another country."

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 07:34:56 AM »
It's probably moot anyway. China has a certain style abroad and the countries they use don't like them or trust them.
And they shouldn't.

But it's sure nice to watch a capitalist society build stuff & get something valuable in return.

China isn't capitalist.  This is communist preparing for a war.  

A capitalist will sell you the rope to hang him with-Lenin
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline gurn

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:06:36 AM »
China isn't capitalist.  This is communist preparing for a war.  

A capitalist will sell you the rope to hang him with-Lenin

:rotf:

China isn't capitalist?

How many times have you been there? I go there several times a year.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 08:20:52 AM »

China isn't capitalist?

How many times have you been there? I go there several times a year.

I have never been there and probably never will be but understand that China is still a communist country that adopted some level of capitalism for economic survival.
I am sure there are folks here that can explain it in far better detail.

As far as the presumption that our government should be spending billions to build a rail system that can`t operate profitably...no thanks.

Offline gurn

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 08:51:38 AM »
I assure you. They're capitalists. And they have been capitalists for thousands of years.
In fact, Chinese were capitalists before the word 'capitalism' was invented.

And if they're not -- what the Hell do they need with 2.7 trillion dollars in currency reserves?

China basically is a consumer society. At least the cities I go to are that way.
It's 'shop till you drop' time, in old Canton.

I don't think all those shoppers are too eager to quit shopping and go to war. And I don't
think they'd be very good at fighting one if they did.

Their history with wars is not that successful. They've had quite a few civil wars though.
But China's history with capitalism and foreign trade OTOH, has been very successful
and it goes back a long, long way.

Offline gurn

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 09:18:05 AM »
Carl makes a Libertarian point about governments building railroads that don't make money.

Since I'm a registered Libertarian, I should acknowledge that.

So...

1. Please forgive my lapse of nostalgia, about a capitalist society that actually builds stuff and gets something valuable in return, instead of bailing out investment houses & fighting wars.

And

2. If anybody can make that thing turn a profit -- it will be the Chinese. 

And

3. In the short-term, I think it's brilliant. In the long-run, they'll have the same problems as every other nation
has had in that part of the world.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:37:45 AM »
Two billion seems like a rather modest estimate if it's actually going to be a real, durable, heavy-duty route.  But, that's why things like trunk railroads are built by governments or at least massively underwritten by them, they can be a bottomless pit for capital until they're completed and the commerce starts flowing over them.  There is of course much more than pure economic return involved with infrastructure projects like this since they have a very important strategic dimension as well.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 09:21:55 PM »
Love when people celebrate a country that persecutes Christians.

I have a friend right now having to conduct meetings of believers in a basement, one who is very conservative in American politics, who would paint a much different picture.

Than again, I think you were there to sell the rope.

The only time I can talk to my friend on the phone, the person who brought me to Christ, is when he is back on US soil.

Keep cheerleading these people.

Offline gurn

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 09:51:03 PM »
I'm not celebrating or cheer-leading for them.

I'm just saying what is. People need to go there to see what it's like.
Although they should be prepared for a boring visit.

I know about Christians in China too. There are lots of them.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 09:52:38 PM »
I'm not celebrating or cheer-leading for them.

I'm just saying what is. People need to go there to see what it's like.
Although they should be prepared for a boring visit.

I know about Christians in China too. There are lots of them.

All I need to know about China, is I can't email or talk to my brother and mentor while he is there about our faith.  Anything else is secondary.