Author Topic: Advice for a friend  (Read 5403 times)

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
Advice for a friend
« on: September 07, 2010, 07:43:55 PM »
One of my best friends is looking for a gun for home protection in an urban environment.  I personally have always been partial to the shotgun.  Of course I live in the suburbs.  I don't want to miss in the dark and if I have to fire it, I don't want what I hit to move afterwards.   I have a 30 odd 6 rifle, but that was for hunting not really for protecting the house.  My dad had a Luger that one of his friends at the Legion gave him before they died, but I have never fired it and have no ammunition for it.

He is looking to spend between $300 and $400.

I'd advised a shotgun, did I do wrong?
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Advice for a friend
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:52:21 PM »
You're going to get a mix of opinions here. In general and for the absolute novice, shotguns are pretty decent for home protection. The disadvantages are: they're long and can be unwieldy AND, they don't usually hold more than 5 rounds. I prefer handguns myself. However, I am far from a novice (nor an expert).  They are easier to handle  & hold more rounds. Like any tool, they need to be practiced with before a person can be considered proficient. (The myth that shotguns won't normally go through walls is just that, a myth)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:09:14 PM »
You're going to get a mix of opinions here. In general and for the absolute novice, shotguns are pretty decent for home protection. The disadvantages are: they're long and can be unwieldy AND, they don't usually hold more than 5 rounds. I prefer handguns myself. However, I am far from a novice (nor an expert).  They are easier to handle  & hold more rounds. Like any tool, they need to be practiced with before a person can be considered proficient. (The myth that shotguns won't normally go through walls is just that, a myth)

I was going more pistol grip for him in the urban environment.  I like to occasionally take the shot gun out to shoot skeet and am not a bad shot and am pretty good with the rifle.

Never been a hand gun fan.  Probably should get more proficient.  

My grandfather was a state policeman and told me to stick to shotguns, I wouldn't miss in the dark.  He preferred taking out the shot gun when he went into areas than his sidearm.
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:42:42 PM »
Well, what kind of proficiency does your friend have with guns?  That is definitely key. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 09:21:12 PM »
Well, what kind of proficiency does your friend have with guns?  That is definitely key.  

He is more familiar with shot guns and Rifles.  For the night, I've given him a Calvary sword,  I collect swords and axes, we are going to Army/Navy tomorrow.

I was thinking a Mossberg pistol grip with a stock conversion so we can shoot skeet together to over come the length issue and give him a weapon he is familiar with.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:30:01 PM by Allentownjake »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 10:34:58 PM »
A shorter barreled shotgun would be better for in the house. That shorter barrel would make it less than desirable for skeet shooting. He could go the extra $200 for the tax stamp for a really short barreled one, but something around 20" would work OK. Mossberg has one that's 18½"

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50591.jpg
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 08:29:25 AM »
A shotgun is an excellent choice, and particularly in an environment with neighbors will almost completely avoid the problem of his projectiles showing up unexpectedly in their houses if he ever has to use it in his own house.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:53:41 PM »
Don't count on it NOT penetrating neighbor's walls. Of course, it all depends on WHAT their walls consists of:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

The box o' truth will set you free !! (or educate you)

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 08:10:42 PM »
Don't count on it NOT penetrating neighbor's walls. Of course, it all depends on WHAT their walls consists of:

He lives in an older house in Allentown.  Walls are made of some pretty sturdy bricks.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 08:22:28 PM »
He lives in an older house in Allentown.  Walls are made of some pretty sturdy bricks.

Is Allentown so bad one would require use of a sword??

I don't know a dang thing about it, just asking.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 08:23:40 PM »
Is Allentown so bad one would require use of a sword??

I don't know a dang thing about it, just asking.

His neighbor was hit on the head with a frying pan for $40.

Frankly, after he has the weapon, I hope the scum is dumb enough to break in.  He has hunted before. 

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 08:40:47 PM »
His neighbor was hit on the head with a frying pan for $40.

Frankly, after he has the weapon, I hope the scum is dumb enough to break in.  He has hunted before. 

I can get that.  I had friends that lived in a bad neighborhood.  One of em defended himself with a freaking musket.  Shame to live in a neighborhood like that.  But I have lived in them as well.  I didn't have a musket, or a sword, but I did have a shotgun.   :-)

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 08:44:59 PM »
I can get that.  I had friends that lived in a bad neighborhood.  One of em defended himself with a freaking musket.  Shame to live in a neighborhood like that.  But I have lived in them as well.  I didn't have a musket, or a sword, but I did have a shotgun.   :-)

I'm probably too much of a romantic and my martial arts training as a child and wrestling makes me nostalgic for a time where you went face to face with a weapon or your hands.  Why I collect those weapons.  I also play with Apple Clamshells because they were simple well built machines.

I feel for my friend, nice thing is the scum saw him take the sword out of his car, which makes me want to get him the street sweeper quicker.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 11:00:13 PM »

If you're going to pick a shotgun for limited penetration and then load it up with something like aerodynamically-stabilized copper slugs riding a magnum powder load and fired out of a full choke, you're just too big a ****head to be shooting it in the first place.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 02:07:35 AM »

My mom chased a home invader off the second story balcony with a vacuum when she was younger  :cheersmate:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 10:13:29 AM »
If you're going to pick a shotgun for limited penetration and then load it up with something like aerodynamically-stabilized copper slugs riding a magnum powder load and fired out of a full choke, you're just too big a ****head to be shooting it in the first place.

There are plenty of those "****heads" out there. My point is.... just because it's a shotgun doesn't mean it won't affect a neighbor, especially in an apartment or houses with vinyl siding over buffalo board walls and drywall. The better thing is to actually HIT what one is aiming at. That limits where those pesky bullets wind up.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 03:28:08 PM »
Whatever.  Joe Sixpack hitting exactly where he should be aiming at perfectly in a home defense situation is an ideal, not reality.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 08:55:17 PM »
A shotgun has the advantage of that nice sound it makes when you rack a shell into the chamber. If that doesn't make the scum crap themselves and run for the door, then you probably have a fight on your hands.

I would suggest watching some videos on tactical use of a shotgun as well. There are a couple of shell handling and quick-loading techniques that everyone who owns a shotgun for defense should know.

For example: unloaded pump shotgun, slide back with chamber open, holding the grip in right hand. With a shell in your left hand, primer end against your pinkie, business end against your index finger, reach under the gun and flip the shell into the open action port on the side, then slam the slide forward.

You have a round ready to rock while you fumble around loading more shells into the bottom of the action. This also increases your shell capacity +1

You can buy dummy rounds to practice loading with.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 11:40:33 PM »
Whatever.  Joe Sixpack hitting exactly where he should be aiming at perfectly in a home defense situation is an ideal, not reality.

You may be right, but I believe in the tenets that our founding fathers originated. The one thing about firearms ownership that they thought was absolutely necessary is proficiency. If a person isn't proficient enough with their weapon, then they shouldn't own it, IMO. just my 2¢ worth.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8goqlUu4D4U[/youtube]

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:42:28 PM by Airwolf »
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"