Author Topic: Any computer gurus?  (Read 7500 times)

Offline soleil

Any computer gurus?
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
/HELP!! /a worm/virus has taken over my computer. It is bad. I am typing from my husband's tiny crappy computer, and my fingers don't mesh well with the keyboard.

Anyway, I got a message that my computer was infected,  being hacked, and files were being transferred. I am freaking out. My computer shut itself down, and now it will come on for a second but it says critical error restarting in 1 minute. And that is all it will do. HELP!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Any computer gurus?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 08:41:07 PM »
Boot into safe mode and run MalwareBytes.

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,45925.0.html
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline soleil

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »
Boot into safe mode and run MalwareBytes.

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,45925.0.html

Ok DUmmy here (hahaha/) how do you boot into safe mode? And I am not sure my compyuter will stay on long enough to do this.

Please excuse my typos. My husband's como=puter was made for midgets
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:52:23 PM by soleil »

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
While the computer is coming up, hold the F8 key.  It should offer you a choice to boot into safe mode.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 08:52:52 PM »
Ok DUmmy here (hahaha/) how do you boot into safe mode? And I am not sure my compyuter will stay on long enough to do this.

Used to be that you'd hit F8 a few times immediately after the BIOS splash screen was displayed.

Offline soleil

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 08:57:35 PM »
While the computer is coming up, hold the F8 key.  It should offer you a choice to boot into safe mode.

thanks. I am going to try that.

I swear this virus came from a friend request on FB. A weird ass frined request. I kindly told peart jeanna that she had the wrong person that I didn;t know her. She replied back "but we can get to know each other....become friends" nthat is when all hell broke loose on my comp.

Offline soleil

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:01:36 PM »
I have it in safe mode, but now it is saying I am not connected to the internet and there are no connections.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »
thanks. I am going to try that.

I swear this virus came from a friend request on FB. A weird ass frined request. I kindly told peart jeanna that she had the wrong person that I didn;t know her. She replied back "but we can get to know each other....become friends" nthat is when all hell broke loose on my comp.

Select the choice of safe mode with networking to have Internet access.
Go slow and if/when it asks about doing a system restore follow that route.

Then get the malwarebytes downloaded and run.

Offline soleil

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 09:05:47 PM »
Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart your computer in 1 minute.  :(

Guess it is off to the computer doctor.  :( :( :(

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 09:11:06 PM »
You can't get into safe mode?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline soleil

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 09:12:12 PM »
You can't get into safe mode?

that was in safe mode

i have turned it off but it keeps restarting itself
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:14:42 PM by soleil »

Offline soleil

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 09:15:31 PM »
i remember seeing it was some worm. can't remember it, but if you said it, it would ring a bell

and call me paranoid, but I have a feeling someone from dU did this. I really do,. After the past couple of days....

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 09:31:51 PM »
I would download a copy of Hiren's, burn it to a bootable CD, and use it to run Mini Windows XP.  You may be able to run one of the anti-virus programs on the disk to scan your hard drive.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 09:48:59 PM »
soliel,

If you can get online go here;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-system-pro

See if that looks like or sounds like what you have.

There is a file on there called rkill.com that you need to download and run as soon as you get your computer in safe mode.  You can put it on a flash drive and move it over there.  That might have to be run a few times to get it to kill all the processes.

Once you do that you can start running some malware/spyware/virus progs to see if you can get it going.

Good luck.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline soleil

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 10:09:38 PM »
soliel,

If you can get online go here;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-system-pro

See if that looks like or sounds like what you have.

There is a file on there called rkill.com that you need to download and run as soon as you get your computer in safe mode.  You can put it on a flash drive and move it over there.  That might have to be run a few times to get it to kill all the processes.

Once you do that you can start running some malware/spyware/virus progs to see if you can get it going.

Good luck.

KC

Thanks, I tried it, but my computer will only stay on for 1 minute during safe mode while networking. I can't get it to work fast enough.'

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Do you have anti-virus software on your computer already?  If you do, you should run that while in safe mode.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline soleil

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 10:27:26 PM »
What I had just expired. I put if off until today. I bought some today  after the attack, and I can't even download it. It got to a certain point while downloading, and it wouldn't go any further. Then my computer starting turning itself off every minute.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 10:59:02 PM »
What I had just expired. I put if off until today. I bought some today  after the attack, and I can't even download it. It got to a certain point while downloading, and it wouldn't go any further. Then my computer starting turning itself off every minute.
If you are up to date on your backups your best bet may be to run the reset disk if your computer came with one.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 03:59:37 AM »
If your computer powers itself off after an minute - it's possible that this is a thermal issue and is a protective mechanism.

Open it up and check that all the fans are turning and heatsinks aren't clogged with dust.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 08:24:48 AM »
Thanks, I tried it, but my computer will only stay on for 1 minute during safe mode while networking. I can't get it to work fast enough.'

You might not need the networking.  Download the file onto a flash drive then boot your comp into safe mode.  If you get a chance you can run it from the flash drive.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline soleil

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 06:00:44 PM »
So my computer is basically useless at this point. I brought home a laptop from the office. I have a computer guy who can fix it, but I don't know when he'll get to it. So my question is do any of y'all have experience with the Geek Squad from Best Buy? Would it be better to wait for my dude to fix it or let the geeks have at it? I totally trust my guy. But he is busy. He does computers for several law firms, etc., and I know my personal computer would be at the bottom of his list. However, he wouldn't charge me. Help me out guys!!

Oh, and thanks a lot for trying to help me with my computer. It is too far gone for someone like me to try and fix it though.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 06:02:23 PM »
If you don't want to wait for him, ask him for a recommendation.  Maybe he has a friend or co-worker that can help you sooner.

I would not let Best Buy near my computer.

Offline soleil

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 06:34:22 PM »
If you don't want to wait for him, ask him for a recommendation.  Maybe he has a friend or co-worker that can help you sooner.

I would not let Best Buy near my computer.

That is what I was thinking. I can wait. Thanks!!

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 02:28:29 PM »
Geek Squad has been known to steal personal data and they are WAY overpriced. When I approached them about my stereo, which I bought brand new from Best Buy, they were essentially clueless. I was underwhelmed, to say the least. (The question was, "did my new stereo require a preamp to make the turntable work?" They didn't have a freaking clue. Turns out that new tuner/amps no longer have a built in phono pre-amp.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:31:03 PM by Thor »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline JLO

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 07:18:44 PM »
So my computer is basically useless at this point. I brought home a laptop from the office. I have a computer guy who can fix it, but I don't know when he'll get to it. So my question is do any of y'all have experience with the Geek Squad from Best Buy? Would it be better to wait for my dude to fix it or let the geeks have at it? I totally trust my guy. But he is busy. He does computers for several law firms, etc., and I know my personal computer would be at the bottom of his list. However, he wouldn't charge me. Help me out guys!!

Oh, and thanks a lot for trying to help me with my computer. It is too far gone for someone like me to try and fix it though.

Ya know what might help?  Google your question/problem - I have found lots of answers that way, where someone else has had the same problem and there are websites that help.  Best wishes.    :cheersmate:
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--