Author Topic: "The Colony"~Discovery Channel Series  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
"The Colony"~Discovery Channel Series
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:19:38 PM »
Who else is watching this?
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: "The Colony"~Discovery Channel Series
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 06:20:53 PM »
I've watched a few episodes. The points they make are valid and even some of the scenarios are good. HOWEVER, here in the US, many people are apt to have access to real weapons like guns...... They seem to conveniently omit the fact that many people might be armed with something other than improvised weapons.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:35:47 PM »
I've watched a few episodes. The points they make are valid and even some of the scenarios are good. HOWEVER, here in the US, many people are apt to have access to real weapons like guns...... They seem to conveniently omit the fact that many people might be armed with something other than improvised weapons.

Yeah, I noticed that. They seem unwilling to push the boundries with their weapon making and usage also. I understand that the hostiles are "actors", but, you'd think they'd devise a plan for weaponry that despensed with them quickly without the severe bodily injury.

Their security measures all seem to be defensive. I wondered why they haven't been going on night scouting ops in small teams.

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that. They seem unwilling to push the boundries with their weapon making and usage also. I understand that the hostiles are "actors", but, you'd think they'd devise a plan for weaponry that despensed with them quickly without the severe bodily injury.

Their security measures all seem to be defensive. I wondered why they haven't been going on night scouting ops in small teams.

because they are fraidy cats??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 03:15:25 PM »
Its to unreal! They are hungry and the "enemy" comes to them stealing their food? I'd be eating "the enemy"!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 05:43:44 PM »
Its to unreal! They are hungry and the "enemy" comes to them stealing their food? I'd be eating "the enemy"!

Waste not, want not!

:-)
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 05:50:28 PM »

I'd convert them into soap. The irony of using soap derived from hippy is too delicious to miss.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 01:57:19 PM »
I watched it once. The glaring omission of guns turned me off. If the scenario actually happened the FIRST thing I'd do is get high powered hunting rifles (we have plenty of hunting and fishing stores here), and pick off the "baddies" from 400+ yards.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 01:58:56 PM »
I tried watching it.  While they have a couple people that may have some technical knowledge, it looks like they picked as many hopeless dumbasses as they could find.

I laughed when that dude's rickety-ass bridge fell apart and he went into the water.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 08:41:59 AM »
I watched it once. The glaring omission of guns turned me off. If the scenario actually happened the FIRST thing I'd do is get high powered hunting rifles (we have plenty of hunting and fishing stores here), and pick off the "baddies" from 400+ yards.

Yeah, there are three chokepoints in around their camp which could be controlled with two decent rifles.

I wondered why they didn't set up an ambush site when the hostage drop of Becka took place.

They knew where the drop was going to be and the truck was parked close to a building that could've been used for cover. They could've set up a series of hand signals to communicate from building to building if they felt a mission abort was necessary.