Author Topic: Some evangelicals on defensive over partnering with Glenn Beck, a Mormon  (Read 5893 times)

Offline cavegal

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/27/some-evangelicals-on-defensive-over-partnering-with-glenn-beck-a-mormon/?hpt=C2

A handful of prominent evangelical activists are defending their decision to attend television host Glenn Beck's conservative rally in Washington this weekend after some Christians complained that evangelicals shouldn't be partnering with Beck because of his Mormo
First of all I am SHOCKED that CNN has a religion blog,  second  read the comments....

here is one ...

DC Buckeye

ChrisM, congratulations! As with most atheists, you've countered hate with hate. If you or the other atheists ever bothered to try and open your minds and do some simple, grade school-level investigating, you'd see that there are plenty of Christian denominations that are countering the hate of evangelicals by putting the real message of Christ into action. I'll stop here, because I suspect my words are falling on deaf and intolerant ears, except for one last point . . . Yes, we've had the Inquisition, etc. But, we've still given more food, shelter, education, hope to the hopeless, and compassion to people around the world than you and your "thinking" atheists (like Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot and Castro, to name just a few) have done, or ever will do. I pray one day, you and the other virulently bitter atheists will open those minds you seem to boast so much about.

one more..

ron

CNN, instead of focusing on the positive message in Beck's upcoming rally outside the Lincoln Memorial, has chosen instead to pick a "divide and conquer" strategy – anyone else here see that? Oh yes, it's a legitimate question of course, but the timing of this divisive issue is so bare-faced obvious, CNN has it in for Beck, and they want to bring him down, having been pretty well miffed at him since he left Headline News.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Zeus

DICTIONARY

evangelical
Definition
e·van·gel·i·cal[  van jéllik'l ]ADJECTIVE

1. of Protestant churches emphasizing personal salvation: relating or belonging to any Protestant Christian church that emphasizes the authority of the Bible and salvation through the personal acceptance of Jesus Christ

2. relating to Christian Gospels: relating to or based on the Gospels of the Christian Bible

3. with strong beliefs: enthusiastic or zealous in support of a particular cause and very eager to make other people share its beliefs or ideals

That's some hateful stuff then evangelicals   ::)
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline soleil

DICTIONARY

That's some hateful stuff then evangelicals   ::)

I personally don't like the term evangelical, and I don't know why. It puts a bad picture in my head, and it shouldn't. But it does.

Wanted to edit to add that it has NOTHING to do with my time on DU either. I've always felt this way about it.

Offline Zeus

I personally don't like the term evangelical, and I don't know why. It puts a bad picture in my head, and it shouldn't. But it does.

Wanted to edit to add that it has NOTHING to do with my time on DU either. I've always felt this way about it.

Don't let those who have bastardized the term Evangelical distract you from the message of God's love and a shot at redemption. Same thing as distraction of the message because of the messenger.

roman 3:18 , Roman 1:32 , Roman 2:5

The early church had a correct godly fear of God, and this is the reason they went out and turned the world ‘right-side-up.’ Acts 2:42-43
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Color me caught off guard.  I didn't even know Mr. Beck was Mormon.  Maybe I just don't follow all that much.  But really, who cares?
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Zeus

Color me caught off guard.  I didn't even know Mr. Beck was Mormon.  Maybe I just don't follow all that much.  But really, who cares?

Not an expert on the Mormon religion by any stretch of the imagination.  What I do know about it I don't agree with much. I do respect Mormons because it's been my experience that of all the different religions and it's followers towing the line Mormons do the best job overall of walking the walk & Talking the talk.

Offline soleil

Don't let those who have bastardized the term Evangelical distract you from the message of God's love and a shot at redemption. Same thing as distraction of the message because of the messenger.

roman 3:18 , Roman 1:32 , Roman 2:5

The early church had a correct godly fear of God, and this is the reason they went out and turned the world ‘right-side-up.’ Acts 2:42-43

I am always willing to listen to the word of God. Always. However, that is how I feel.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
There is a certain ambiguity for me on this point:

On the one hand, where do people such as myself reside within his vision?

I don't believe Mr. Beck is asking the nation to dress in sack cloth and ashes but his theme was undoubtedly religious in tone and he believes moral failings are part and parcel of our national malaise. Certainly hose 2 phenomenon do play on each other but does that mean someone such as myself has no role to play in righting the course of our nation's political steering?

On the other hand, Mr. Beck is accomodating non-Mormons so why shouldn't non-Mormons tolerate Mr. Beck? Certainly Jews could find a home in this movement though their ultimate spiritual destinies at this point in time appear to be debatable vis-a-vis Christian orthodoxy. Can people of markedly different--even opposing--theological disciplines find unity in a single moral calling?

I believe they can to a degree but once the original crisis ebbs they will fracture upon each and every seam that appears.

Such is the human condition.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline cavegal

Harry Reid is also Mormon..

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline thundley4

I don't believe Mr. Beck is asking the nation to dress in sack cloth and ashes but his theme was undoubtedly religious in tone and he believes moral failings are part and parcel of our national malaise. Certainly hose 2 phenomenon do play on each other but does that mean someone such as myself has no role to play in righting the course of our nation's political steering?

On the other hand, Mr. Beck is accomodating non-Mormons so why shouldn't non-Mormons tolerate Mr. Beck? Certainly Jews could find a home in this movement though their ultimate spiritual destinies at this point in time appear to be debatable vis-a-vis Christian orthodoxy. Can people of markedly different--even opposing--theological disciplines find unity in a single moral calling?

I believe they can to a degree but once the original crisis ebbs they will fracture upon each and every seam that appears.

The overt religion that Beck is using on his show is kind of off-putting to me, also.

Offline MrsSmith

Re: Some evangelicals on defensive over partnering with Glenn Beck, a Mormon
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 05:38:16 PM »

Our country was founded on just such disagreements, hence the much misquoted "separation."  Theological debates do not belong "on the floor of Congress," but only a hypocrite can claim strong beliefs that have no effect on their actions and words.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.