Author Topic: For Eupher  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
For Eupher
« on: August 26, 2010, 03:27:25 PM »
I found an interesting item at the local historical society display at Loy Park. I thought you might be interested in the "critter"........
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: For Eupher
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:22 PM »
Yeah, it's a double-bell euphonium.

King and Conn made them, and probably a few other companies that are defunct now. They're not made any longer and are conversation pieces pretty much, but in the right hands, these horns sing.

You notice it's got 5 valves, right? The 5th valve redirects the air column through the smaller bell, yielding a trombone-like sound. These horns were used primarily in the early part of the 20th century.

If you wanna know what one sounds like, check out this guy's recordings. He plays mostly the Holton Superbone, but also several pieces on double-bell euphonium. Alexander would play solos in which he'd have a conversation between the euph and trombone -- amazing stuff. Unfortunately, he passed far too early. A great talent.

This particular album is one of my favorites.

Ashley Alexander
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: For Eupher
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:10:05 PM »
After thinking about it, I THINK I recall seeing one of these before or at least a picture of one. Yes, I did notice the five piston valves.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson