Author Topic: Gotta shoot the flare up! SOS!  (Read 2518 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Gotta shoot the flare up! SOS!
« on: August 26, 2010, 11:38:48 AM »
Gang, my home PC, for the most part, has the speed of someone trying to row a boat through a lake of molassess . . . in January.  Unfortunately, I have McAfee virus protection.  I noticed the decrease in speed became much greater after I renewed in May.  Yes, I ran a virus scan on the thing--Sunday--and nothing showed up.  It drives me right up a wall.  Also, I think that the hard drive is going.  I do have an external drive to back it up to (and have actually used it).

Any help/suggestions for a better antivirus/firewall-type thing?  Or should I just use the Roadrunner/Time Warner one?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Gotta shoot the flare up! SOS!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:54:38 AM »
Avast is awesome and free. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »
You might want to read through this thread: http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,45925.0.html

I would probably suggest that you download, install and run Malwarebytes. Many anti-viruses won't find spyware or certain other exploits. You might need to run malwarebytes in "Safe Mode".

Nextly, are you on cable or DSL?? If DSL, who is your provider??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 04:28:44 PM »
If you don't have CrapCleaner, get it. Do a "normal" (DoD level takes longer) cleanup. It will clean out all the saved cookies and other garbage Windoze and IE "save".
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 05:36:47 PM »
If you don't have CrapCleaner, get it. Do a "normal" (DoD level takes longer) cleanup. It will clean out all the saved cookies and other garbage Windoze and IE "save".

A person with moderate PC skills probably shouldn't use CCleaner. I wouldn't recommend it.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 08:47:27 AM »
Thor, I'm on cable.  Time/Warner.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.