Author Topic: American author Ray Bradbury is 90  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Golem

• Curmudgeon
American author Ray Bradbury is 90
« on: August 22, 2010, 12:03:39 PM »
Famed American author Ray Bradbury was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois - the birthplace of another great American, Jack Benny.

He has written in several genres including fantasy, horror, mystery, and science fiction.

Among his most famous works are The Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, The Illustrated Man, Dandelion Wine, Something Wicked This Way Comes, other short stories, and the screenplay for the 1956 film version of Moby Dick.

(Ray Bradbury lives in Southern California, as do I. I had the honor of meeting him in person eleven years ago.)

Happy birthday to a great man.

Official site

Waukegan's Bradbury party to include readings, trolley tours

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
Re: American author Ray Bradbury is 90
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:18:12 AM »
I read all his books as a teenager, starting with The Halloween Tree when I about 12.  Dandelion Wine was my favorite as a non-sci fi book and The Martian Chronicles for sci-fi.  I wish him many more happy birthdays before Mr. Moundshroud comes to visit him one final time!
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Airwolf

Re: American author Ray Bradbury is 90
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:18:41 PM »
I got to meet Mr Bradbury years ago when the movie King Kong was  shown in Omaha . It was great to see himm, Ray Harryhausen and Forrest Ackerman all together. I need to look around and see if I was able to get a print of the artwork with their signatures all over it.

http://www.omahafilmevent.com/past/kong.htm
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"