Author Topic: Jack Horkheimer: Ambassador to the Stars  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Jack Horkheimer: Ambassador to the Stars
« on: August 21, 2010, 12:40:36 PM »
Amateur astronomy lost one its most iconic figures today. Jack Horkheimer, known to millions as public television's ebullient "Star Gazer," died this afternoon at age 72. The exact cause of death was not disclosed, though he had battled chronic respiratory problems for decades.

Horkheimer had been a fixture at the Miami Planetarium for more than 45 years, where he began as a volunteer and served as its executive director since 1973. But he'll be remembered most for his exuberant and often zany television persona, who helped us all appreciate the breadth and depth of eyeball-only astronomy.
Sky And Telescope

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8WuPntvX7g&feature=related[/youtube]
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Online DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Re: Jack Horkheimer: Ambassador to the Stars
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 02:25:30 PM »
Wow.  I used to watch his spots late at night.

'Keep looking up', Jack.  We'll miss you.  :cheersmate:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 03:05:50 PM »
Wow.  I used to watch his spots late at night.

'Keep looking up', Jack.  We'll miss you.  :cheersmate:

Ditto!  :cheersmate:
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 02:22:12 PM »
Awwwww, the guy was really good at making a rather boring (sometimes) subject exciting.*

Keep looking up buddy.

Yes I "do" astromomy, but unless you have a "love" for it, sometimes it's lackluster. I'll never forget the times I've shown people the Orion Nebula (I have a 10" dia. scope) and they go, "Oh, wheres the color?" "Only in photo's" I have to tell them. Because the light is so faint, it will only trigger the green receptors in your eyes, so it all looks greenish, not the pretty colors in photo's. Or when I have to tell them to use averted vision to see a faint object, say, the Crab Nebula, because, again, it's not like the photo's they see.
I hear alot of "Oh, that's it?"   Oh well.  :p
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.