Author Topic: Death of the 'McMansion': Era of Huge Homes Is Over  (Read 6257 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Death of the 'McMansion': Era of Huge Homes Is Over
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2010, 09:43:42 PM »

He's a urologist.

He's on Wife #3 now. I was the first.

Those "rumors" you always hear about doctors and nurses? Yeah, well....I meant it when I said my marriage vows in front of the priest. I was very stupid and very naive.....

I didn't get stuck with all the bills.....just a mostly unpaid 735 BMW, and my credit cards. I chose[/] to take over the house so my kids wouldn't get uprooted and any more distressed than they were over the whole mess. Otherwise, I would have had to pay for half of a $26,000 quarter horse he went out and bought, a week before he left, on the line of credit at the bank....that I had signed a couple of years before. My share of the upkeep on the horse would have been $1400 PER MONTH. He quitclaimed the house to me, and I quitclaimed the horse to him.

Get married again?  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Werd Sista!

Two exes both filed bankruptcy within days of the ink drying on the decree.  I paid off so much crap that wasn't even mine!  Marriage?  Oh heck to the NO!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2010, 08:37:19 PM »
It was a nice house, when I sold it. We bought it for #132,000, in '83...as new construction. Spent a fortune correcting builder mistakes. I took over 2 mortgages on it, when I got divorced.... :censored: I should have moved, but it would have cost me more to buy a much less expensive house, than to take over both mortgages, as I would have had to put 30% down on a different house....because I was a divorced woman.  :censored:

debk, take a look at this, where the truly ostentatious go to create ugly, expensive homes on tiny lots.  We call it "Sucker's Cove" not  "Tucker's Cove" 

Proof that some people have more money than taste or common sense. 

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2010, 08:45:26 PM »
debk, take a look at this, where the truly ostentatious go to create ugly, expensive homes on tiny lots.  We call it "Sucker's Cove" not  "Tucker's Cove" 

OMFG...and I thought Rye was overpriced crap.

BTW--this realtor is on CRACK.  I just checked on Rochester--she's selling a 1961 ranch, 3BR, 1BA, 960 sq. ft. on less than 1/2 an acre, on one of the busiest roads in town...FOR $180K!!! 

“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2010, 08:46:34 PM »

BTW--this realtor is on CRACK.  I just checked on Rochester--she's selling a 1961 ranch, 3BR, 1BA, 960 sq. ft. on less than 1/2 an acre, on one of the busiest roads in town...FOR $180K!!! 

Heh.  I got one of those for almost half of that down here last year. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2010, 08:49:49 PM »
Heh.  I got one of those for almost half of that down here last year. 

Yeah, well, you're not dealing with the Boston commuters either.  I got my place which is double the size, more than double the land, for about 50K more at the peak of the market, and I thought I was getting a steal.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2010, 08:51:15 PM »
Yeah, well, you're not dealing with the Boston commuters either.  I got my place which is double the size, more than double the land, for about 50K more at the peak of the market, and I thought I was getting a steal.

Oh, I know.  I consider myself fortunate to live down here, and buy a house down here.  I never woulda been able to afford anything like what I have here up there. 

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2010, 08:53:44 PM »
Oh, I know.  I consider myself fortunate to live down here, and buy a house down here.  I never woulda been able to afford anything like what I have here up there. 

Trust me, you have NO idea what REALLY overpriced crap is.  The crackerbox I sold when I moved out of CA is a prime example.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »

One just like it here went for a quick (estate) sale price of 229K.  The couple was from Rochester btw and wanted a better school system.   :thatsright:

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2010, 09:06:38 PM »

Saw a four striper  with drag bag coming from the Logan Shuttle bus station just the other day and got a couple stews rackin up down the road too.  It is still way cheaper than Boston to get real good city services; sidewalks, sewer, cops, the whole ball of wax.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2010, 09:10:55 PM »
Trust me, you have NO idea what REALLY overpriced crap is.  The crackerbox I sold when I moved out of CA is a prime example.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.  I'm cool with that. 

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2010, 10:35:27 PM »
I just finished an "interior" report from hell!!

Extensive work needs to be done, about 10K just to clean it up, mow yard, remove a "dead" pickup truck from the backyard, repair deck railings, and a few other things. Major work, I've estimated at an additional $53,500.

House was built in 1965, basement ranch - 1300SF on main level, full basement with a 1 car garage, and supposedly 600 SF finished in the basement but was too nasty to tell, huge kitchen with eating area, LR w wood burning FP, 3 br's, 2 baths. .34 ac. County taxes only, public schools with elementary, middle school and HS, each in the top 3 of the public schools in the county (we are a 1 school system county)

Priced it at $55,000 low, $67,000 high, with the $10,000 repairs. Totally repaired it should list $139,900 to $154,900.

I go to some terrific places doing my job!!  :puke:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2010, 11:07:53 PM »
You need to move to E TN!!

This is my old house. I sold it to them for $239,500, the end of 2006....they sold it in April for $235, 500.

Wonderful Family HomeFormal Dining RoomFormal Living RoomKItchen w/islandLots of cabinetsBuilt in deskFrom the Breakfast RoomBig, bright Breakfast RmLaundry Rm with storageLaundry RmPowder RoomFamily RoomFireplace with bookshelevesFamily RoomMaster BedroomMAster BathMaster Tub and ShowerBR#2BR#3BR#4 or Bonus RoomHAll BathRec Rm in Basement has fire...Sun RoomFenced backyard

Lot Size: 95x174.94
Acreage:   Lot Description: Level Lot, Wooded

City Tax: $0 County Tax: $1, 573
Water: FUD Sewer: FUD

General Information
Rooms: 9   Bedrooms: 4   Baths, Full: 3   Baths, Half: 1
Square Feet: 3900 Upper Lev. Sq. Ft.: 1640 Main Lev. Sq. Ft.: 1220 Lower Lev. Sq. Ft.: 1040
Year Built: 1983 Age: 27
No # of Fireplaces: 2 Fireplace: Brick   
Floors: Carpet, Hardwood, Vinyl
Basement Description: Walk-Out, Finished Site Built: Yes

Room Dimensions
Living Room Size: 18x12 Kitchen Size: 15X12 Dining Room Size: 12X12
Bonus Room Size: SEE BR 4 Family Room: 20X15 Rec. Room Size: 30X20
Master Bedroom Size: 20x12 Bedroom 2 Size: 12X11 Bedroom 3 Size: 13X12
Bedroom 4 Size: 15X15 Bedroom 5 Size: 
Laundry Room: Yes
Extra Storage: Yes       
Features
Type: 2 Story Basement Style: Traditional
Construction: Brick, Frame Garage: Two Car, Attached, Main Level, Garage Door Opener, Side/Rear Entry
Fuel: Electric Heat: Central
Cooling: Ceiling Fans, Central Features: 2nd Rec Room, Breakfast Room, Dishwasher, Disposal, Microwave, Pantry, Range/Oven, Self Cleaning Oven, Washer/Dryer Connections, Walk-in-Closets
Exterior Features: Porch - Covered, Cable Available, Deck, Insulated Windows, Neighborhood Pool, Professional Landscaped, Screened Porch, Sunroom, Wood Fence, Wood Windows     
Additional Information
Public Remarks: Large family home in Farrington has fin.bsmt.4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths. Traditional floorplan w/all Brs upstairs.Large breakfast room open to kitchen with island.Rec rm, office and computer rm. Fenced backyard. The BEST location!!

Wow, cheap property tax. Our property tax is around $10,000.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2010, 11:17:47 PM »
Wow, cheap property tax. Our property tax is around $10,000.

The taxes are only about $4k on our house now. We live in the county, so we don't have to pay city taxes, we're about 2 blocks outside the city limits, if that far.  :-)

We don't have state income tax either.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2010, 05:25:46 AM »
Sounds familiar.  Especially when I hear people asking when I'm getting married again.

I've never been married & most people know better then to ask me when I'm getting married. Especially the girls I date.  :evillaugh:

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2010, 05:32:03 AM »

Wow.

In Las Vegas I can buy four year old houses for about $45 to $50 a square foot.

I know a guy that just bought a 2700 square foot house for around $11 a square foot & it's a very nice house.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2010, 09:44:24 AM »
The taxes are only about $4k on our house now. We live in the county, so we don't have to pay city taxes, we're about 2 blocks outside the city limits, if that far.  :-)

We don't have state income tax either.

Braggart.  :p

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2010, 10:07:38 AM »

I was gonna say, my property taxes aren't much higher (a hell of a lot lower than CA when you factor in home prices).

But deb darlin--not only do we have no income tax, we have no sales tax either (at least not unless you buy prepared foods, booze, or hotel rooms.)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2010, 10:43:29 AM »
I was gonna say, my property taxes aren't much higher (a hell of a lot lower than CA when you factor in home prices).

But deb darlin--not only do we have no income tax, we have no sales tax either (at least not unless you buy prepared foods, booze, or hotel rooms.)

Sales tax varies from county to county down here, and it's a tiny bit higher inside the city limits too. I think it at 9.78 now. I try not to look at it, because it's on everything!!! Plus we have a 17% "sin" tax on alcohol, cigarettes, movies and concerts.

Our property taxes are low, but our house prices are considerably lower than up north or out west. I watch House Hunters on HGTV a lot, and am amazed at the housing costs in some places!!! :o

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2010, 11:31:43 AM »

Sales tax varies from county to county down here, and it's a tiny bit higher inside the city limits too. I think it at 9.78 now. I try not to look at it, because it's on everything!!! Plus we have a 17% "sin" tax on alcohol, cigarettes, movies and concerts.

Our property taxes are low, but our house prices are considerably lower than up north or out west. I watch House Hunters on HGTV a lot, and am amazed at the housing costs in some places!!! :o

Another reason to stay put.  No state income tax, 8.25 sales tax, and low property taxes too.  I guess I am stuck here. 

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2010, 11:53:21 AM »

You know ... someplace else that doesn't have state income tax is Texas.  Ever thought about moving to Texas?

:uhsure:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2010, 11:56:12 AM »
You know ... someplace else that doesn't have state income tax is Texas.  Ever thought about moving to Texas?

:uhsure:

KC

Are you just filled with vinegar or what?  You better run and hide.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2010, 11:58:51 AM »
I just finished an "interior" report from hell!!

Extensive work needs to be done, about 10K just to clean it up, mow yard, remove a "dead" pickup truck from the backyard, repair deck railings, and a few other things. Major work, I've estimated at an additional $53,500.

House was built in 1965, basement ranch - 1300SF on main level, full basement with a 1 car garage, and supposedly 600 SF finished in the basement but was too nasty to tell, huge kitchen with eating area, LR w wood burning FP, 3 br's, 2 baths. .34 ac. County taxes only, public schools with elementary, middle school and HS, each in the top 3 of the public schools in the county (we are a 1 school system county)

Priced it at $55,000 low, $67,000 high, with the $10,000 repairs. Totally repaired it should list $139,900 to $154,900.

I go to some terrific places doing my job!!  :puke:

Was this a foreclosed home Deb? Where is this?

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2010, 11:59:11 AM »
Are you just filled with vinegar or what?  You better run and hide.

LOL yeah, that one might have been over the line ..... But God created me to walk the line.

:fuelfire:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2010, 12:39:14 PM »
I just got my proposed tax notice in the mail the other day. $843.19 with no budget change or $800.96 if they do change it. These are up from the last/original owners taxes of $581.83 last year. Not as bad as I feared. I'll take 'em.  :-)

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2010, 12:40:43 PM »
LOL yeah, that one might have been over the line ..... But God created me to walk the line.

:fuelfire:

KC

Well, I am cutting out of here, before she reads that.   :ohnoes: