Author Topic: Piccalilli  (Read 1934 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Piccalilli
« on: August 15, 2010, 11:41:29 AM »
 I am trying to find a store that sells this stuff.

I spent each end of summer watching my grandma can this kind of relish in a very hot kitchen.

Corn was a major ingredient some onions perhaps celery and some seeds from a bell pepper.

This is in no way corn relish, very different taste and was served with beef only.

Anyone have any idea what I am speaking of ???

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Re: Piccalilli
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:59:40 AM »

Don't know where you'd buy piccalilli in the US but here's a recipe for it.
Method

You need to begin this the day before. What you do is place the prepared cauliflower and onions in a non-metallic bowl, and the cucumbers and beans in another. Then whisk the salt into 4 pints (2.25 litres) of cold water to make a brine, and pour this over the vegetables. Now put a plate with a weight on it on top of each one to keep them submerged and leave them for 24 hours.

The next day, drain away the salt water and briefly rinse the vegetables. Now place the cauliflower, onions and the 2 pints (1.2 litres) vinegar together in the pan. Then add the nutmeg and allspice, bring it up to the boil, cover and simmer for 8 minutes. Next, take off the lid and stir in the cucumbers, beans, sugar, garlic and ginger. Now bring the mixture up to simmering point again, cover and cook for a further 4-5 minutes. The vegetables should still be slightly crisp, so don't go away and forget them.

Next, set a large colander over a large bowl, pour the contents of the pan into it and leave it all to drain, reserving the vinegar. Then mix the mustard powder, turmeric and flour together in another bowl. Gradually work in the additional tablespoons of vinegar and 2 tablespoons water so the mixture becomes a fairly smooth paste. Now add a ladleful of the hot vinegar liquid drained from the vegetables, stir again and transfer the sauce mixture to a saucepan.

Bring it to the boil, gradually whisking in the remaining hot vinegar. Simmer gently for about 5 minutes, then transfer the vegetables from the colander back to the large bowl, and pour over the sauce. Stir really well now to mix everything evenly, then spoon the piccalilli into the hot, sterilised jars. Cover straightaway with waxed discs, seal with vinegar-proof lids and when cold, label and store the piccalilli in a cool, dry, dark place to mellow for 3 months before eating.
Piccalilli

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 12:50:22 PM »
Don't know where you'd buy piccalilli in the US but here's a recipe for it. Piccalilli

Thank you Bijou, but this is nothing like the stuff Grandma made.

The church she was a Deaconess in published cookbooks with local recipes in the 50's and I remember she all ways had her recipe for her version and also that of Grape Nut pudding.   

Where those books are now is anyones guess, as often as we have moved they were lost 30 years ago.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 01:50:06 PM »

Where those books are now is anyones guess, as often as we have moved they were lost 30 years ago.

Yeah, the Navy lost a few of my prized possessions during my frequent relocations. It makes me angry because they were family heirlooms or things that were irreplaceable. One or two boxes got lost each time I was moved. Of course, I didn't EVER have a good inventory of the boxes as the movers didn't always specify what was in them.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 03:25:15 PM »
Yeah, the Navy lost a few of my prized possessions during my frequent relocations. It makes me angry because they were family heirlooms or things that were irreplaceable. One or two boxes got lost each time I was moved. Of course, I didn't EVER have a good inventory of the boxes as the movers didn't always specify what was in them.

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Not to mention the cracked and broken stuff.

I had a plastic dust cover for my record player and it was crushed.   When I put in a bill for replacement they told me they paid by weight of the article.  5 ounces= 10 cents. 

Another move some idiot put full ashtrays that they had used and my cast iron cook ware on top of Hubby's summer whites.