Author Topic: What is your specialty?  (Read 12685 times)

Offline Boudicca

Re: What is your specialty?
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 10:32:58 PM »
My family particulary love my bulgogi, lasagna, jambalaya, oven barbequed spareribs, beef stew and Chinese honey chili chicken.  Plus any dessert I whip up.
The problem these days is my specialty seems to be lounging around reading a good book instead of slaving over a hot stove, grill or oven. :-)
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 10:37:02 PM »
My family particulary love my bulgogi, lasagna, jambalaya, oven barbequed spareribs, beef stew and Chinese honey chili chicken.  Plus any dessert I whip up.
The problem these days is my specialty seems to be lounging around reading a good book instead of slaving over a hot stove, grill or oven. :-)

oven barbequed spare ribs?!?!?!?!? That's just plain WRONG!! :hammer: :hammer:

BTW, my "specialties" are anything on the grill or in the smoker (or both), primarily MEAT...... (of course, I DO have bad days)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 11:08:19 PM »
oven barbequed spare ribs?!?!?!?!? That's just plain WRONG!! :hammer: :hammer:

BTW, my "specialties" are anything on the grill or in the smoker (or both), primarily MEAT...... (of course, I DO have bad days)

These ribs are totally delicious. :yum:  Meat falls off the bones and the sauce is to die for.  It takes me 8 hours to make them, so I usually wait until my son and grandson visit us from Phoenix.  I found the recipe in a Doubleday cookbook and the page is worn and torn; you'd think I'd have the sauce ingredients memorized after all these years.  Oh well.

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 06:10:18 AM »
That is one disadvantage to living in LA...shitty kosher food...and no, while Jerry's or Junior's is okay and has huge portions, it's not the same as a honest-to-God New York deli--don't know exactly why, it just is.

Mexican food, OTOH, oh, man...I'm gonna have to make a roadie out there to visit family, just so I can fill up on some El Cholo or Paco's Tacos.

Yeah, Solley's does a pretty decent spread, but it just isn't the same. You'd think with the Jewish presence in show business out here, there'd be a plethora of fine kosher fare.

As for Mexican, I have to tell ya, some of those food trucks out here are beyond good!  :cheersmate:

Not to mention the fish tacos at that seafood place on P.C.H. across from County Line Beach. :)

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »
These ribs are totally delicious. :yum:  Meat falls off the bones and the sauce is to die for.  It takes me 8 hours to make them, so I usually wait until my son and grandson visit us from Phoenix.  I found the recipe in a Doubleday cookbook and the page is worn and torn; you'd think I'd have the sauce ingredients memorized after all these years.  Oh well.

Sorry, but that ain't BBQ...... braised, baked, or whatever else and then smeared with BBQ sauce. I make some really good braised baby back ribs in the oven. (recipe: courtesy of Alton Brown, albeit modified to my tastes) I usually finish them off with some BBQ sauce and under the broiler. Even then, I would NEVER have the audacity to call them "BBQ'ed ribs". No ma'am...... BBQ is done in a smoker or on a grill..... NEVER EVER in an oven (unless you smoke them inside the oven, then, maybe)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 09:24:22 PM »
, albeit modified to my tastes

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I swear, that quote defines you!

And, somedays I am not so sure I do not know you IRL.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 10:33:55 PM »
Alton Brown uses beer or wine as a braising liquid. I followed his recipe to a "T" the first time. I didn't care for the taste. A modification here, another there, et voila, a tasty meal.   :-)  Ohhh, and I would NEVER EVER fit neatly into some predefined "box"...... Texan, through and through.........

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 11:23:33 PM »
Yeah, Solley's does a pretty decent spread, but it just isn't the same. You'd think with the Jewish presence in show business out here, there'd be a plethora of fine kosher fare.

As for Mexican, I have to tell ya, some of those food trucks out here are beyond good!  :cheersmate:

Not to mention the fish tacos at that seafood place on P.C.H. across from County Line Beach. :)

Are you thinking of Neptune's Net?  They're good, no doubt about it--and I digs me some fish tacos.  Have you ever had Malibu Fish and Seafood?  They're a few miles south, near Corral Canyon Park and Beach.  Their fish tacos were okay, but the fish they use for their sandwiches...oh, my.

Some of the food trucks are good, some make me really wonder.  When I lived in Hermosa Beach, it was either Rosa's or go a little south into Redondo to El Burrito Junior.  Oh, pure heaven.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 05:45:01 AM »
Are you thinking of Neptune's Net?  They're good, no doubt about it--and I digs me some fish tacos.  Have you ever had Malibu Fish and Seafood?  They're a few miles south, near Corral Canyon Park and Beach.  Their fish tacos were okay, but the fish they use for their sandwiches...oh, my.

Some of the food trucks are good, some make me really wonder.  When I lived in Hermosa Beach, it was either Rosa's or go a little south into Redondo to El Burrito Junior.  Oh, pure heaven.

Neptune's Net!!!!  :cheersmate: Haven't been there in a ::ahem:: coon's age and forgot the name. Agreed on Malibu Fish -- I don't knowwhat fish tey use, but it's friggin sublime...

Offline debk

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 12:19:51 PM »

Did you know the Food Channel is doing a show/contest with food truck food? I watched the first one the other night, and the show was a bit boring, but the food looked really good.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 01:41:26 PM »
Did you know the Food Channel is doing a show/contest with food truck food? I watched the first one the other night, and the show was a bit boring, but the food looked really good.

Oh definitely! My old lady is a Food Channel fanatic, so of course, that show is now mandatory in my house. :)

Offline debk

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2010, 01:47:24 PM »
Oh definitely! My old lady is a Food Channel fanatic, so of course, that show is now mandatory in my house. :)

:hammer:

I love Chopped! and Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.... :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2010, 03:45:15 PM »

I've often wondered how Guy Fieri gets that cherry 1967 Camaro all across the country without so much as a bug splat on the windshield.......      :uhsure:     
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2010, 04:06:03 PM »
Sorry, but that ain't BBQ...... braised, baked, or whatever else and then smeared with BBQ sauce. I make some really good braised baby back ribs in the oven. (recipe: courtesy of Alton Brown, albeit modified to my tastes) I usually finish them off with some BBQ sauce and under the broiler. Even then, I would NEVER have the audacity to call them "BBQ'ed ribs". No ma'am...... BBQ is done in a smoker or on a grill..... NEVER EVER in an oven (unless you smoke them inside the oven, then, maybe)

Thor, I will concede that my oven baked ribs are baked, not barbecued, although the cookbook claims they are.  Still, my son is a very discerning barbecue rib chowhound, that's all he orders at restaurants and he claims mine taste best of all.
Now that I think about it, that claim is usually followed by a request for gas money or something.  :blonde: Maybe I'm missing something. :lmao:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 04:26:11 PM »
All kidding aside, mines Dutch Oven beef/pork roasts, split whole chicken. Nothing beats a Dutch Oven.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2010, 04:40:53 PM »
Nothing beats a Dutch Oven.

My girlfriend in college would disagree with you.  :rotf:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2010, 04:46:03 PM »
My girlfriend in college would disagree with you.  :rotf:

You were thinking of a Dutch Rudder, perhaps?

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2010, 08:01:41 PM »

Gotta watch Good Eats with Alton Brown.  The science of cooking really helps me improve my own food.  I may not like or agree with everything he does, but understanding why some ingredients do what they do and how really does help.  He did one show on chocolate chip cookies that really explained a lot of things I didn't know and allowed me to improve what I made.

And D-3?  Yeah, they just did segments on Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery and the Maine Diner in Wells.  Both places ROCK.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2010, 08:18:12 AM »
Spiced Blueberry Jam -- I usually give it out to family for Christmas.  Blueberries are everywhere here in May/June.

Show?  Probably Man vs. Food on the Travel Channel.
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
 :yum: While I like to live up to my heritage (Gumbo, Jambalaya, and all manner of seafood), my specialty is  CHEESECAKE !!  :yum:

The sheer simplicity of the basic recipe, with all the possible variations available, make it a fun dessert, or even an entree.   :drool:

Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline soleil

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2010, 11:11:07 PM »
:yum: While I like to live up to my heritage (Gumbo, Jambalaya, and all manner of seafood), my specialty is  CHEESECAKE !!  :yum:

The sheer simplicity of the basic recipe, with all the possible variations available, make it a fun dessert, or even an entree.   :drool:

I do love me some cheesecake! BUT I am dying for an awesome gumbo recipe. Some of the best I've ever had was on the MS coast. I know LA has some of the very best, so you got a good recipe?

I love me some cajun food. I am not too far from LA, and it is pretty big here in mid to southern MS. Gumbo and jumbalaya are some of my very faves. But they have to be some good stuff. There are some sorry versions of it out there.

Offline JLO

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2010, 09:19:31 PM »

What?   You're not sharing?  :hammer:
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline JLO

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2010, 09:41:13 PM »
I have a few things that everyone seems to love (or so they say. I hate having my food judged lol). But I think my best is my homemade pot pie. My husband thinks it is my lasagna, but I am going to say my pot pie.

Well, I thought we'd share our best recipes in this thread, eh?  This Split Pea soup is mine.  Folks donate hams for me to make it. 

Split Pea Soup updated
Filed under: Soup — lenahaugland @ 7:07 am

1969 Betty Crocker’s cookbook Split Pea Soup

(*my variations in parenthesis.)

Easily doubled recipe – it freezes well.

INGREDIENTS

2 cups dried split peas (*one plastic bag is 2 cups).
2 quarts water (*that is 8 cups and I add chicken bouillon
to that 8 cups of water so it is chicken broth. Or just
start out with 8 cups of chicken broth)

1 lb smoked ham shank or ham hocks or 1 ham bone (*I start
with a real bone-in ham. There will be more than enough
ham for your soup, and the leftover extremely tender ham is
wonderful for sandwiches, etc.)

1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup) (*I use a
lot more onion and you don’t need to chop anything so
fine.)

1 cup finely chopped celery (*my celery usually is beyond
usable before I use it, so I normally skip it)

1 sprig parsley (*I use dried parsley)

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 medium carrots, thinly sliced (*my very original Betty
Crocker recipe didn’t call for carrots – but my notes say I
always added 1-1/2 cup of sliced carrots). They will cook
down.

(* IMPORTANT * my little additions – a bit of chopped garlic in a jar, 1/4 tsp thyme, a bay leaf or two, and a generous pinch of
cayenne pepper.)

DIRECTIONS

In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat peas and water (*bouillon) to
boiling; boil 2 minutes.

Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.

Add bone-in ham, onion, celery, parsley and pepper; heat to
boiling. (*add carrots and my additions – chopped garlic in a jar, 1/4 tsp thyme, a bay leaf or two, and a generous pinch of
cayenne pepper.)

Reduce heat; cover and simmer (*at least) 1-1/2 hours.

This is VERY good and I always have requests for it.  Sorry the (directions are not strait-forward), but that's my cooking writing style.

Remove ham and bone.

(*If you want a really creamy variation, use a hand blender in the pot before adding the ham back in. Or if you don’t have a hand blender, put the soup through a regular food processor or blender Personally, I like the un-creamy version best.)

Trim meat from bone and add to soup (*if you use a whole ham with bone, save out about 1/2 the ham for other uses.
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2010, 10:05:45 PM »
That's close to the same recipe I use (I don't use celery, but I put potatoes in mine).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2010, 10:21:11 PM »
What?   You're not sharing?  :hammer:

C'mon down.  I will share as long as the person is 1) NOT an illegal alien or other type of criminal and 2) NOT a liberal.
Anyone else is welcome. :cheersmate:

Edited to say, shit, you meant share the recipe, didn't you?  :yum: :yum:  I modified the cooking instructions, but not the sauce ingredients, from the Doubleday Cookbook.

Cook 5-6 lbs of pork spareribs in a shallow roasting pan at 350 for 45 minutes.
Top with the sauce (drain fat from pan if you want-I leave it in though)
Sauce is made of 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar; 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce; 1/2 cup soy sauce; 1/4 cup cider vinegar; 1/4 cup chili sauce; 1/2 cup ketchup; 2 tsp French's yellow mustard; 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced (I simply put in a bunch of freshly prepared minced garlic from those little jars in the produce section); and 1/8 tsp black pepper (or you can get real and dump in enough pepper to actually make a difference!)

I actually double the ingredients for the sauce so the ribs are still nice and moist after spending all day in the oven...

So you've baked the ribs for 45 minutes, turn off the oven and pour the sauce over said ribs.  Leave them set in the turned off oven for 4 hours, turning and basting with the sauce every 20 minutes or so.  Then turn your oven back on at 250 and cook the ribs another 2 pr 3 hours, again turning them every now and then to keep soaking in the sauce.  When you can't turn them over without meat falling off the bones, you're done.

Or, you can quit a little before then.  The meat will still be excellently tender.

Damn, now I want ribs this weekend instead of the filet mignon I already pulled out to defrost.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:33:52 PM by Boudicca »