Author Topic: Bible Study or Church Service  (Read 20628 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Bible Study or Church Service
« on: August 15, 2010, 04:09:54 PM »
What do you prefer, church service or Bible study?
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: Bible Study or Church Service
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 05:05:08 PM »

Bible study for sure.

Church Service is a non participatory action.  You go, listen and sing but you never have a chance to question anything, add anything.

A church service is so different from bible study, at the Service one follows a set pattern, you are there to pray and worship nothing else.

Bible studies allows people to search for answers to any question and  with others read outside the bible for answers to why the Bible has survived from the times man wrote down the word of God.

Bible study takes in archeology, science, the lives of the people in that time. Gives us a glimpse into the men and woman and their society that meant survival.

Today most scientists wonder about some of the storeys and who wrote them.    What was that great wheel in the sky, Jacobs ladder, Joshia and his trumpets---and how could the sun now reverse itself or earth to have the sun rise in the East.

A truly fascinating book as science is today using the Bible to find lost civilizations mentioned and now found to be true.

The Bible with some mistranslations and the rumors of other chapters that are kept from us still remains the greatest endever ever taken on by humans.

Little by little the literal facts in the Bible are leaking out of the past, proving that such and such did in fact happen.  Not perhaps exactly as is recorded but close enough.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 06:31:10 PM »
I prefer church services.  I think that Bible study is important, but there is something very peaceful and holy about a prayerful church service.   :)

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:10:17 PM »
Both.  One is geared more toward exploring God's word, while the other is geared toward worship first.  The sermon can be very educational, of course, but many are aimed at things like church harmony or social issues.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline BowTied

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 08:49:31 AM »
I agree with Mrs. Smith. One's for purposes of STUDYING God's Word, the other's for worship. There can certainly be crossover, however, I recommend BOTH very highly!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:23:15 AM »
Catholic Mass....early in the morning, little to no singing....short homily, prayers and Holy Communion. I want the reverence and peace....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BowTied

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:46:07 AM »
What I REALLY love is the Latin Mass. Can't find more reverence than THAT. Nothing flashy, and the priests who typically celebrate the Mass in Latin are among the real hardcore, Jesus-lovin' priests that  you'll find.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 02:32:50 PM »
Catholic Mass....early in the morning, little to no singing....short homily, prayers and Holy Communion. I want the reverence and peace....

I miss that. My wife is Lutheran, they sing alot.   :lmao:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »

Presbyterians are noted for our mumbling. The organist cranks up the sound and that drowns all of us out.

Thank God.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 10:33:37 AM »
I enjoy both. I love the small group atmosphere and fellowship of a Bible study but I enjoy the corporate worship of a Sunday service because it allows me a chance to interact with people who I don't get the chance to talk with during the week. I also play bass in the praise and worship portion of service and I assist the Priest as a Eucharist minister during the communion sacrament.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »
I prefer church services.  I think that Bible study is important, but there is something very peaceful and holy about a prayerful church service.   :)

Agree, trying not to sound too "corny", it's almost as if the Holy Spirit fills my body.

It put's me in a much better mood for the rest of the day.
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 03:25:56 PM »
Both. I love Baptist services. Fire and brimstone preaching, banging on pulpits, what can't you love about that?

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 05:15:12 PM »
Bible study for sure.

Church Service is a non participatory action.  You go, listen and sing but you never have a chance to question anything, add anything.

At the church we attend, there is always time for questions and answers after the sermon.  I really like it, although it might irritate some people, since you can run a little late sometimes.   

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 09:11:57 PM »

I'm a Lutheran.  I love the singing.  Some other Lutherans might hate on me because I like contemporary Christian music, but it's one of the things that rubbed off on me from going to Assembly of God and Southern Baptist youth camps.  The church I go to has the traditional service, then the bible study, then contemporary.

As for my preference, I like the service itself.  Especially when there's communion.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 11:25:59 PM »
There's always more available for those who love the truth.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 03:31:59 PM »

I'm Catholic so it's got to be a service.

Do this is in memory of me.

Of course, vast swathes of the service texts are straight from the Bible; especially the Divine Office which is mostly psalms.

Offline J P Sousa

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 03:37:54 PM »
I'm Catholic so it's got to be a service.

Do this is in memory of me.

Of course, vast swathes of the service texts are straight from the Bible; especially the Divine Office which is mostly psalms.

I see you are in England and I have often wondered what percentage of the population in England are Catholic. 

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 03:47:33 PM »
I see you are in England and I have often wondered what percentage of the population in England are Catholic. 

About 10% answer as Catholic in polls, this makes the Catholic Church the second largest by membership. The Church of England has a larger membership, but this is a far softer membership with most of its members never attending or participating (it being the established church, many consider themselves attached without any activity).

In terms of attendance, around 1 million attend Mass on a given Sunday (about 2% of the population) which makes it the largest Christian grouping by attendance.

Both of these figures have been helped in recent years by large-scale migration to England from Poland since the latter joined the E.U. (thus allowing Poles to move to England without a visa).

Offline J P Sousa

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 03:53:11 PM »
About 10% answer as Catholic in polls, this makes the Catholic Church the second largest by membership. The Church of England has a larger membership, but this is a far softer membership with most of its members never attending or participating (it being the established church, many consider themselves attached without any activity).

In terms of attendance, around 1 million attend Mass on a given Sunday (about 2% of the population) which makes it the largest Christian grouping by attendance.

Both of these figures have been helped in recent years by large-scale migration to England from Poland since the latter joined the E.U. (thus allowing Poles to move to England without a visa).

Thanks. Interesting.

I have heard "The Church of England" is probably closer to the Catholic Church than any other Christian church in the world.

~John Wayne

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »
Thanks. Interesting.

I have heard "The Church of England" is probably closer to the Catholic Church than any other Christian church in the world.

It is.

I grew up Episcopalian which is what The Church of England is called in US. My grandfather grew up in The Church of England, and my dad was confirmed over there, but still had to be re-confirmed into the Episcopal Church.

The Church of England came about because Henry VIII wanted a divorce and the Pope wouldn't give him one. So he created his own Church, without the Pope, made the head of the church The Archbishop of Canterbury, and kept pretty much everything else.

Church of England was the first non-Catholic Church. I think Luther started the Lutheran Church next. Then all the other "Christian" denominations started.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »
It is.

I grew up Episcopalian which is what The Church of England is called in US. My grandfather grew up in The Church of England, and my dad was confirmed over there, but still had to be re-confirmed into the Episcopal Church.

The Church of England came about because Henry VIII wanted a divorce and the Pope wouldn't give him one. So he created his own Church, without the Pope, made the head of the church The Archbishop of Canterbury, and kept pretty much everything else.

Church of England was the first non-Catholic Church. I think Luther started the Lutheran Church next. Then all the other "Christian" denominations started.

The Church of England came along after Luther, in fact in a piece of irony Henry VIII wrote an attack on Luther (Assertio Septem Sacramentem) for which the Pope gave him the title 'Defender of the Faith'...then a few years later he split from Catholicism.

Other than the Orthodox, I'd agree that the Anglicans/Episcopalians are closer to the Catholic Church on the surface...the problem is that these days it's possibly to believe anything and be Anglican which is certainly going further away from the Catholic Church.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 11:44:10 AM »
The Church of England came along after Luther, in fact in a piece of irony Henry VIII wrote an attack on Luther (Assertio Septem Sacramentem) for which the Pope gave him the title 'Defender of the Faith'...then a few years later he split from Catholicism.

Other than the Orthodox, I'd agree that the Anglicans/Episcopalians are closer to the Catholic Church on the surface...the problem is that these days it's possibly to believe anything and be Anglican which is certainly going further away from the Catholic Church.

Oops... I always had learned it the other way...

I quit the Episcopal Church years ago, and went Catholic about 18 years ago. I went to the Catholic Church all through college, ended up marrying an Episcopalian and my kids were raised Episcopalian. One still is, and the other - I'm not sure what church denomination(it's Christian) she's in, but my son and other half (a born, raised and still Catholic) both refer to it as "The Cult".

We went to the service where she was "saved" by being dunked in a tub of warm water, during the first 30 minutes which was a gospel rock band up on a big stage with all kinds of flashing lights, then 30 minutes of the pastor in jeans and a plaid shirt talking about his life compared with the day's "lesson" from the Bible. Her inlaws were sitting with us - generational Southern Baptists - and her MIL said after ..."what kind of church is this again?" She said she'd never seen anything like it. It's very popular, they have an internet broadcast several times a week, 3 or 4 "campuses" with the main one just having built a humongous new main building.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 11:51:11 AM »
Another thing about Luther -- he never really considered himself to be anything other than Catholic. He had a problem with the Pope and the indulgences and certainly voiced his displeasure about all that, but that did not mean he quit the Catholic church and become something other than that.

Martin Luther was a life-long Catholic priest, writer, academic, and general hell-raiser. He was a pretty good beer-drinker as well from which he suffered some rather debilitating beer farts.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.