Author Topic: Ee-soos/Jee-zuss/Hey-soos/Yeh-shoo-ah  (Read 2073 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Ee-soos/Jee-zuss/Hey-soos/Yeh-shoo-ah
« on: August 10, 2010, 01:42:09 PM »
The Book of Acts, IIRC, tells us there is but one name under Heaven given among men by which we might be saved.

So I'm wondering which name that might be. I mean, let's face facts: there is quite a linguisitic gulf to get "Jesus" from "YShH"

But then I'm thinking, when you die judgment would not entail St Peter saying, "OK, everyone take out your Number 2 pencils. Fill in the bubble completely, do not leave any stray marks on your answer sheet and do not write in your test booklet."

So I'm think: if pronunciation is not the factor then it must be the Ideal of the Annointed One and all that it entails vis-a-vis remission from sin.

Could the argument then be made that those who understand humanity being in pitiful shape then cry out to some moral state of being to make themselves better could be saved even if they had never had the gospel preached to them?

Now, lest anyone mistakenly accuse me of arguing against evangelism: no, because if you want to reach a broader audience then obviously it pays to advertise.

But I look at people like Socrates and think: if ever there was a pre-evangelistic ideal for a person born among pagans but truly understanding the ideal of God and humanity's moribund state, someone like Socrates would qualify.

Even in historical Christendom a person having a solid historical and theological education was more a matter of good luck rather than good measure. Case in point, stand glass windows on churches aren't there to make teh place look pretty but to compensate for the fact that 90-plus percent of the population was unlettered hence the picture images filled in those gaps in education.

So, is salvation an embracing of the Messianic Ideal or is it the proper recitation of a history lesson?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: Ee-soos/Jee-zuss/Hey-soos/Yeh-shoo-ah
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:53:31 PM »
Too unintelligible/uninteresting?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline soleil

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 08:59:05 PM »
It isn't unintelligible. But it is a lot to talk about. I will say this:

Jesus or whatever it is you call Him is what is important. The way He lived His life. The selflessness He had. The love He had. I don't think it is so much the translations of his name that have come about (even though I do believe a lot of the Bible has gotten lost in translation). It is all about the life that Jesus lived. And why He lived it.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:54:09 PM »
Don't over  complicate matters. John 8: 58 reads: "Jesus said to them: 'Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM'."

Forgive me my abruptness, I subscribe to the KISS principle
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:58:48 PM by Zeus »
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.