Author Topic: Potato salad.... How do you like yours? How do you prepare yours?  (Read 3913 times)

Offline soleil

Mine is basically just potatoes, bread and butter pickles, mayo, tad bit of mustard, little chopped onion, and chopped boiled egg. Salt and pepper.
The end. Yummy.

I could totally turn you off potato salad in an instant. I had a dream which I will not divulge, but it turned me off of it for a while. And everyone I told the dream to. Just sayin'.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Potato salad.... How do you like yours? How do you prepare yours?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 09:40:39 PM »
I do a basic potato salad with mayo, celery, and onions.  Sometimes I add curry powder or paprika.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 09:49:45 PM »
I posted the way I do it (stolen from a bar owner in Berlin) elsewhere here on the site -- don't remember where, so here it is again:

Cook 5 lbs. of potatoes in their jackets. Peel 'em while they're hot, cut into pieces about 3/4" square. Add general amounts of salt, pepper, and a bit of cayenne to about 2 cups of mayo and fold in till the mayo soaks into the potatoes. Add a mirepoix of chopped leeks, celery, bell pepper, and some chopped, fresh dill. Add just a bit of apple cider vinegar (maybe a quarter cup) if desired, fold in. Check seasonings.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »
That sounds right on :cheersmate:

I'm lazy, I hate peeling potatoes.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:54:33 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 09:53:01 PM »
That sounds right on :cheersmate:

I'm lazy, I hate peeling potatoes.

Well, with my recipe, ya gotta peel 'em when they're hot. Oh, and I forgot to add, you gotta use Russetts. Can't use a waxy-type potato like Yukon Gold or Red, because the mayo doesn't soak in as well.

I use the waxy-type potato for my German potato salad. I'll talk about that tomorrow -- it's rack time. 4:30 comes early.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 10:31:42 PM »
The Hausmeisterin (like a Germanic concierge) who lived in my apartment complex, all of six apartments, took me and DH under her and her hubby's care while we were stationed in Frankfurt our first overseas tour.  She was the best cook I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, although some of those Southern Virginia kinfolk of mine came close at our family reunion...anyway, Wilma's potato salad recipe takes forever to make, and she had no measurements for me to write down, AND my approximation of her salad falls FAR short.  Nevertheless, here's what I do:

Take 5 pounds of potatoes, what she called new potatoes (they were really small and pale yellow so I find the closest I can at the store), boil them in their jackets and peel before they cool.  Slice as thinly as possible.  Dice, as minutely as possible, onions, German pickles (American kosher just isn't the same taste), and leberkase.  The deli might stock it as German bologna.  Once you have assembled the mix, add in, to taste, vegetable oil, mayonnaise and white vinegar, salt and pepper.  She always added fresh peas to the potato salad, but I usually don't bother.

Ah, memories.  I really miss Europe.  Well, not most of their politics, but the countries and scenery.  Plus, there's plenty of conservatives there, as there are in places like California, which I am totally skipping on my vacation starting tomorrow.  We're headed to Vegas and Idaho and making sure our route takes us no where near that loser state.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline JLO

ENJOY!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 10:46:12 PM »
Ah, memories.  I really miss Europe.  Well, not most of their politics, but the countries and scenery.  Plus, there's plenty of conservatives there, as there are in places like California, which I am totally skipping on my vacation starting tomorrow.  We're headed to Vegas and Idaho and making sure our route takes us no where near that loser state.

Wow, you are going to have fun, fun, fun sure- enjoy for all of us!   :cheersmate:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:49:27 PM by Chris »
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 10:51:01 PM »
I had some German friends, Siggy & Annette,  when I was in San Diego. Annette made up some hot German style potato salad. I remember bacon, vinegar and LOTS of oil.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Boudicca

Re: ENJOY!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 12:50:11 AM »
Wow, you are going to have fun, fun, fun sure- enjoy for all of us!   :cheersmate:

Thanks, I plan to!   :cheersmate:
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 08:29:40 AM »
I had some German friends, Siggy & Annette,  when I was in San Diego. Annette made up some hot German style potato salad. I remember bacon, vinegar and LOTS of oil.

Major hot-button issue for me. Nothing personal, Thor, so put your hackles away beforehand.

The so-called "hot German potato salad" myth is absolutely bogus. Far, far too often I go into a so-called "authentic German restaurant" which is, oddly enough, rarely if ever staffed by Germans, let alone any that might happen to be in the kitchen, and encounter this phenomenon.

I lived and worked for almost 15 years in Germany. I spent A LOT of time on the economy and as my 2nd wife was German, we spoke both languages at home. I know the culture, the language, and the food very well.

I am here to tell you that this "hot potato salad" bullshit is just that -- bullshit.

Germans will make this stuff -- and yes, one variety does include oil, vinegar, and bacon -- and put it out on the table. It has some residual heat sometimes, but it is NOT EVER routinely served warm, unless the cook figures that he/she is preparing that dish for a bunch of Americans.  :whatever:

That is all.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 09:00:55 AM »
I would say that it was served "warmish", having some residual heat left over. I guess I wasn't clear enough......
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 09:58:30 PM »
I would say that it was served "warmish", having some residual heat left over. I guess I wasn't clear enough......

I have had hot potato salad just once in my life ---not to my taste.

I use the smallest potatos I can find and STEAM them whole.  cool enough to handle them and quarter.  What ever I have in the crisper goes in, in small amounts.  Perhaps 1/4 cup chopped  each of celery, radishes, scallions, green peppers, I have at times used leeks, perhaps some frozen peas.  I mix the vegetables up with Mayo salt and pepper  toss in with the still warm potatos--with peels still on and refrigerate for 4-6 hours.  Before I serve I add a few cold boiled eggs whole as some people do not take eggs in potato salad.   I serve with Kielbasa with a very small amount of Dijon mustard on it.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 10:00:14 PM »
Dijon mustard is for those who don't enjoy life....... give me some good stone ground German style mustard. English, if that's not available....

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 11:55:19 PM »
Dijon mustard is for those who don't enjoy life....... give me some good stone ground German style mustard. English, if that's not available....

Quite expensive but then when  one does not use it every day, not bad for special occasions----YUMMMMM

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 10:08:01 AM »
Dijon mustard is no more expensive than a decent stone ground mustard...... pay attention when you go shopping next time.....

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 10:46:25 AM »
Dijon mustard is no more expensive than a decent stone ground mustard...... pay attention when you go shopping next time.....

Dear Thor,

I have not been shopping for anything for the last 18 months.

Don't I wish I could, I loved to shop and sort of window shop---Yankees hate to spend money.

Hubby doesn't mind doing the food shopping, he kind of enjoys it, I have actually sent him to Wallmart to buy me underware to jeans, he knows my taste after all these years and has never failed to buy me some good stuff.

As a Yankee himself he saves us allot of money, when I give him a shopping list for say bananas, bread and milk, that is what he brings home.    Were I to shop in a wheel chair, with that list I would come home with $100.00 worth of impulse buys and forget the bananas. :banghead:

It will take another perhaps 6 months to get on my feet and back out and around and I cannot wait.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 12:22:09 PM »
Dear Thor,

Don't I wish I could, I loved to shop and sort of window shop---Yankees hate to spend money.

Hubby doesn't mind doing the food shopping, he kind of enjoys it, I have actually sent him to Wallmart to buy me underware to jeans, he knows my taste after all these years and has never failed to buy me some good stuff.

As a Yankee himself he saves us allot of money, when I give him a shopping list for say bananas, bread and milk, that is what he brings home.    Were I to shop in a wheel chair, with that list I would come home with $100.00 worth of impulse buys and forget the bananas. :banghead:

It will take another perhaps 6 months to get on my feet and back out and around and I cannot wait.
I know what ya mean...I think it has to do with what's at that eye level....That's why I don't shop alone(aside from not bein able to dive yet)
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline JLO

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
Dear Thor,

Well, best to ya getting back to shopping in person!

We have a deal with a grocer 25 miles away who will shop our order via fax order, and they load up the truck the next day.   Works great.

Best to ya :-)
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 06:54:47 AM »

THANK YOU THOR.

I asked hubby to pick up some of this stone ground mustard and he brought home Inglehoffer and it is to die for.

I have put this on darn near everything, even tried mixing a very small amount into Mayo for BLT's.     

If you know of an even better brand please let me know---I freiking love that stuff.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 07:05:08 PM »
Inglehofer is about the best I've found here in the states. There might be better brands, but not commonly available. Hell, I can't even find my favorite popcorn here in this podunk town. The stores quite selling it. Jolly Time Blast o Butter.....

Offline true_blood

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 08:25:11 PM »
Potatoes, pickles, celery, onions, eggs and mayo. DELICIOUS!!! :drool: :drool: