Author Topic: The Worst Thing I Ever Ate  (Read 24888 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: The Worst Thing I Ever Ate
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2010, 11:40:23 AM »
This is similar to the first microwave my family bought.  The picture doesn't really do it justice... that thing was enormous.  I don't even remember what brand it was, but this one is pretty close down to the vinyl veneer.

It came with a "cookbook" that my mom still has.  I need to borrow it and scan some of the recipes.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2010, 11:42:54 AM »
Canned Hominy. Ach. Grr-oss.

--------------
But one man's meat is another man's poison; or one man's favorite vegetable and favorite prepared fish is another man's poison. Eupher, Chris, I am NUTS for Brussels sprouts. I buy two pints and steam 'em and eat just that. Yum, yum, yum. Tender little cabbages.

Sushi is an addiction.

I love canned hominy.  And brussel sprouts.  And sushi.

My mom used to cook chicken in the microwave.  Yummy Gray Chicken.   :puke: 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2010, 11:43:51 AM »
The only vegetables that I don't steam are potatoes and corn on the cob.

Even when I attempt to do green beans "southern", I do them in chicken broth. I also do cabbage in chicken broth, with onion and garlic powder and a bit of cayenne.

Have you ever put dill on brussels sprouts? I steam them to just barely cooked, then pour melted butter with lemon juice and dill mixed in. Sprinkle lemon pepper on top.  :drool:

Oh Debk, never boil corn or potatoes.

As a kid Dad would put a lobster steamer on the stove, when it began to emit steam he and I would run into the corn field grab the corn off the stalk and shuck it as we ran back to the kitchen.

From stalk to cooker in less then 10 minutes.   steam 15-20 minutes and roll on real butter and salt.   There is nothing like this corn, one can gorge on just the corn itself.  

Potatoes that are steamed taste much better then those that have been boiled in water, less soggy.

I found that steaming frozen vegetables in the winter when I cannot get fresh makes them taste closer to fresh then had I boiled them.

Greens, collards, mustard and kale are wonderful and the pot liker is still there to sop up with corn bread.

Years ago I bought for $5.00 a big Italian spaghetti cooker.  This pot with the removable strainer has been used to steam not just vegetables but some meats before placing on the BBQ.

The only time I put water in my cooking is when I use the slow cooker.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2010, 11:50:10 AM »
I love canned hominy.  And brussel sprouts.  And sushi.

My mom used to cook chicken in the microwave.  Yummy Gray Chicken.   :puke: 

That's awful. :rofl:

I love sushi... I just wish it wasn't so expensive.  There's no way I'm buying my sushi from Kroger (the ones around here started selling California rolls and nagiri.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2010, 11:57:18 AM »
A new site which is an offshoot of foodnetworkhumor.com.  There are some nasty things out there! The worst thing I ever ate as probably at a Vietnamese restaurant when I made the mistake of having the lemon chicken (it turned out to be nothing more than a pale floppy chicken breast covered in lemon curd). :puke:

http://worstthingieverate.com/page/1
The worst thing I ever ate.....About 4 years ago in San Diego, my Dad took me to a Oriental Restaurant.. I forget which kind.. I remember people telling me duck is fabulous.....NO IT WASN'T.. It was just awful...

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2010, 11:57:25 AM »
I would doubt that any decent chef actually COOKS with one, however, I think their usage in restaurants is primarilly logistic in nature........once a dish is prepared, if there is a lag between preparation and serving, dishes are warmed in the M/W just prior to serving to the customer.  They are also useful in commercial applications for thawing frozen stuff quickly.  Chris mentioned lasagna, which is a good example.....a dish which can be prepared in large quantities well in advance, and heated immediately prior to serving.

doc

Any cooking show that I watch (Alton Brown, Emeril, Tyler Florence, Ima Garten, et. al.) never features the microwave cooking anything - it's used mostly for things like melting butter or some other quick heat kind of thing. Emeril won't even do that - the man has a limitless supply of skillets/pots and a 6-burner stovetop and when it's time to melt butter, for example, he does it on the stove.

Godot - I'm glad you like those things. It's less that I have to worry about.  :puke: 
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
That's awful. :rofl:

I love sushi... I just wish it wasn't so expensive.  There's no way I'm buying my sushi from Kroger (the ones around here started selling California rolls and nagiri.

The Walmart around here started selling sushi too.  WTF?  I don't think so.  I will wait and suffer the expense when I want some.  That ain't worth playing around.  
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2010, 11:58:22 AM »
I've never had a potato explode in a microwave oven and I use mine a LOT for cooking "baked potatoes". I HAVE had potatoes explode when using a convection oven. what a MESS!!!  :o I prefer to get my baked potatoes MOSTLY cooked in the microwave and then shove them in a 500°F oven for another 7-10 mins (or on a HOT grill) for that crispy outer skin.

I've found that using a microwave for cooking MOST veggies works quite well. I even can cook an ear of corn in one and it turns out almost as good as grilled. The prep is a little wasteful, though. Coat ear of corn with butter, salt & pepper, wrap ear of corn in waxed paper, roll it up tightly and secure the ends, re-wrap it in plastic wrap and secure the ends. Microwave on high for approx 3 mins. Good as it gets for cooking inside. Use caution in unwrapping as the ear of corn will be scalding HOT!!!
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2010, 12:00:21 PM »
AN IMPORTANT NOTE FOR MICROWAVE USERS:

I thought I'd include this, as many prople never read the legal notices in their Owner's Manual.......exposure to microwave energy not only causes severe burns, but low-level exposure over a period of time can cause several forms of cancer.

If you have a microwave oven that is several years old, it is important that you check it frequently for radiation leakage.  Seals wear out, or become damaged, door hinges become misaligned, etc., all of which can cause a radiation leak.

You can purchase at stores like Lowes, a microwave leakage detector, which is used to test the unit for escaping radiation.  If your oven is older, it should be tested frequently.

doc

Offline Chris_

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2010, 12:01:37 PM »
The Walmart around here started selling sushi too.  WTF?  I don't think so.  I will wait and suffer the expense when I want some.  That ain't worth playing around.  

The $4.99 Chinese buffet here sells nagiri (rice with a slice of fish on top) on the buffet line.  No way, no how.  If I want it, it's going to be done fresh.

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2010, 12:05:23 PM »

Godot - I'm glad you like those things. It's less that I have to worry about.  :puke: 

I am definitely with you on that......brussel sprouts are just plain NASTY!

doc

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2010, 12:05:47 PM »
I'd say sushi is one the worst things I ever ate, but I've never had any. And I'm not planning on eating any either. I can't get past the fish heads and rice thing.

No matter how you gussy it up, it's still fish heads and rice to me. No freakin' way is that stuff going down my gullet.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2010, 12:07:49 PM »
I'd say sushi is one the worst things I ever ate, but I've never had any. And I'm not planning on eating any either. I can't get past the fish heads and rice thing.

No matter how you gussy it up, it's still fish heads and rice to me. No freakin' way is that stuff going down my gullet.
Wimp. :-)

You should try it.  Stick with the basics... tuna roll, California roll, Unagi.  It's tasty stuff.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2010, 12:10:23 PM »
Wimp.

You should try it.  Stick with the basics... tuna roll, California roll, Unagi.  It's tasty stuff.

Fish heads and rice. Period. Take your tuna roll, for-freak-gi, Commiefornia roll, sticky rice, place mat thingies, and launch.     :puke:   

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2010, 12:12:27 PM »
I've never had a potato explode in a microwave oven and I use mine a LOT for cooking "baked potatoes". I HAVE had potatoes explode when using a convection oven. what a MESS!!!  :o I prefer to get my baked potatoes MOSTLY cooked in the microwave and then shove them in a 500°F oven for another 7-10 mins (or on a HOT grill) for that crispy outer skin.

Well.....back when these ovens first came out, they forgot to tell us that you needed to pierce the potato at least halfway through with a fork, etc., prior to cooking, to allow the steam to escape, since a microwave cooks from the "inside out", instead of the other way around with conventional baking.  If you don't do that, you stand a 50/50 chance of having to clean up a mess.  They also neglected to mention that the same thing will happen with a hot dog, which is WORSE to clean up.

doc

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »
Trying to polish a turd still results in a shined.....turd.

Please leave politics out of this, my first thought was that father of Bristol's son.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2010, 12:20:36 PM »
How to Microwave Gourmet Popcorn in a Brown Paper Bag

Anyone willing to try this?  I don't own a microwave.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2010, 12:21:29 PM »

Please leave politics out of this, my first thought was that father of Bristol's son.

I'll be happy to, O Vesta With the Quivering Fanny.......   :rotf:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2010, 12:23:25 PM »
Well.....back when these ovens first came out, they forgot to tell us that you needed to pierce the potato at least halfway through with a fork, etc., prior to cooking, to allow the steam to escape, since a microwave cooks from the "inside out", instead of the other way around with conventional baking.  If you don't do that, you stand a 50/50 chance of having to clean up a mess.  They also neglected to mention that the same thing will happen with a hot dog, which is WORSE to clean up.

doc

I NEVER pierce my baked potatoes with a fork....... EVER!! They simply don't explode on me in the microwave.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2010, 12:24:24 PM »
Eupher, I don't care for sushi, either. Seaweed, rice and a taste of fish........ blechh....... That said, I absolutely LOVE me some sashimi!!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2010, 12:30:13 PM »
Eupher, I don't care for sushi, either. Seaweed, rice and a taste of fish........ blechh....... That said, I absolutely LOVE me some sashimi!!

I had to look that up -- homey won't do sashimi, either. You gotta hold a gun to my head to get me to eat cooked fish, and you think I'm gonna eat raw fish?

In a pig's ass!  :rotf:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2010, 12:30:15 PM »
Y'all are just party poopers.  :tongue:

Offline cavegal

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2010, 12:32:46 PM »
The $4.99 Chinese buffet here sells nagiri (rice with a slice of fish on top) on the buffet line.  No way, no how.  If I want it, it's going to be done fresh.
chris a few months ago on the Food Channel they had a Throw down with Bobby Flay, it was Sushi... it means rice not raw fish.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2010, 12:34:07 PM »

Actually, there's a Shaw's in North Hampton that has them making it fresh.  But yeah, the restaurants are better, if you can afford it.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2010, 12:35:06 PM »
I'll be happy to, O Vesta With the Quivering Fanny.......   :rotf:

I told her to lay off the beans and broccoli, but would she listen? 

Nooooooooooooooooo....
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford