Author Topic: The Worst Thing I Ever Ate  (Read 24912 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: The Worst Thing I Ever Ate
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2010, 08:43:46 PM »
About how often did the Kitty Hawk have to tank up while at sea?

She must've been pretty thirsty.....
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2010, 10:57:58 PM »
About how often did the Kitty Hawk have to tank up while at sea?

She must've been pretty thirsty.....

I honestly can't tell you..........  ;)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2010, 08:45:59 AM »
Have you ever watched "Monsters Within Me" on Animal Planet?   :p

BEG, as long as the fish was flash frozen, as most sushi has been, it's cool.                                                    I said it's cool. Hrem. Is the mike on in here?

Flash freezing kills the tiny anisakis nematodes.

Oh, and real wasabi also kills the parasites, if the fish should somehow not have been flash frozen. Sort of a second line of defense.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:50:06 AM by Godot showed up »

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2010, 08:56:53 AM »
Oh, oh oh--just thought of another one. Maybe even worse than hominy.

Dinty Moore beef stew. I bought a can of it once and ate 4 spoonfuls before I dumped it. It's freaking dog food! Hell, I wouldn't even give it to a dog, it'd be animal cruelty.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2010, 10:01:32 AM »
It kind of depends....... when in port, they restock supplies. While at sea, they do what's called UNREP (Underway Replenishment) or VERTREP( Vertical Replenishment) where food is distributed from various supply ships to the other ships. The supply ships make more frequent ports of call than the other ships, normally. I was aboard a few supply ships as my job was to maintain the H-46 helicopter. All sorts of supplies (stores) are transferred from the supply ship to the other ships.

In this video is how they do VERTREP: (point of interest, the first 40 secs is from one of MY detachments.The very first detachment.  We had aircrafts 12 & 14 (no #13). I'm trying to track down where he got that part of the video. Also, I've done EVERY job on the flight deck, including being the signal person in the yellow helmet & float coat)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XDPaKedIfc[/youtube]

Here is the UNREP Portion:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K-2NTsMFhA[/youtube]

Many times, unless it's just a small delivery, they are often combined. I can recall being alongside an aircraft carrier for some 8-10 hours. I always hated that. They even do submarines that way, at times.

Dear Thor,

Back in 1958-59 when dad retired after 22 years of service he was aboard the Vigal a YAGR part of the NORAD, I believe line.

Been along time ago but I remember that he came home with pictures of himself being piped off the boat sitting in a sling basket of some sort as he was transferred from one ship to another.

I remember the picture as that the look on his face in the photos showed that this was the only time in his life he showed fear of ANYTHING.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2010, 10:45:59 AM »

BEG, as long as the fish was flash frozen, as most sushi has been, it's cool.                                                    I said it's cool. Hrem. Is the mike on in here?

Oh, and real wasabi also kills the parasites, if the fish should somehow not have been flash frozen. Sort of a second line of defense.
Of course -- plenty of wasabi, the condiment of the gods!!  Ever eat some when you have a head cold?  Clears you right out -- whoo!  :-)
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline debk

« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2010, 10:58:52 AM »
Of course -- plenty of wasabi, the condiment of the gods!!  Ever eat some when you have a head cold?  Clears you right out -- whoo!  :-)

Too much wasabi at night....clears other things out in the morning too! Whoooosh! :uhsure:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2010, 11:40:29 AM »
I honestly can't tell you..........  ;)

She was decommissioned last year, she was the last conventionally-powered supercarrier in the fleet, and that info is still classified?

Wow.

Offline Karin

« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2010, 02:01:18 PM »
Poor Eupher.  The thread was hijacked by the Sushi People.  I tried it a couple of times, and did not fall in love, and do not miss it. 

I was at a little dinner party once and the hostess served the "salad."  She called it vegetable foie gras.  It was mushed up peas, set in a tin mold, then layered with mushed up carrot, then layers repeated.  Unmold and slice.  It was revolting.  I could not get it down.  The party was too small to get away with being unnoticed.  Too bad, I just could not make it go down. 

Brussel sprouts are the same way.  Throat constricts, and won't release. 

BTW, NHSparky, if you pass by this thread again.....a live scallop?  Seriously? 

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2010, 02:02:36 PM »
Yes.  Seriously.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2010, 02:06:51 PM »
The worst thing I have ever eaten was liver although I didn't technically eat it because I went to the restroom and spit it out.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2010, 02:58:05 PM »
Poor Eupher.  The thread was hijacked by the Sushi People.  I tried it a couple of times, and did not fall in love, and do not miss it. 

I was at a little dinner party once and the hostess served the "salad."  She called it vegetable foie gras.  It was mushed up peas, set in a tin mold, then layered with mushed up carrot, then layers repeated.  Unmold and slice.  It was revolting.  I could not get it down.  The party was too small to get away with being unnoticed.  Too bad, I just could not make it go down. 

Brussel sprouts are the same way.  Throat constricts, and won't release. 

Somebody actually understands. I think I love you.  :-*

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2010, 03:11:29 PM »

BEG, as long as the fish was flash frozen, as most sushi has been, it's cool.                                                    I said it's cool. Hrem. Is the mike on in here?

Actually I love seared ahi tuna so I really have no room to warn anyone about getting parasites.