Author Topic: Advice Needed  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Advice Needed
« on: July 22, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »
I have a question.

My Aunt's Motherboard blew, I took it to a guy I always go to with my computers and he was going over some things with me.

He replaced the Motherboard, and he uninstalled a few programs I had installed, I installed WIN Patrol and Iobit's Advanced System Care. I'm going to pick up the computer tomorrow and I'm going to install Avast, I have it installed and I love it, but what can I use to search for Spyware? Spybot is mentioned here and for some reason it never found anything on my computer, is there another program to use? or should I just reinstall Iobit? and any opinions about WIN Patrol? Scotty the dog has prevented things from being installed in my Start-up programs so I really like it, but what are your opinions on it? Oh and about Avast, it's always running so if I picked up a virus would it let me know right away? or would it warn me if I went to a site that might have a virus?

Also a question about Malwarebytes, I have it installed on my computers, but everytime I run it it never finds anything, I find it hard to believe that there's nothing on my computer. And what's your opinion on CCleaner?

Thanks!
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 07:53:08 PM »
CCleaner is NOT for novices. It allows one to delete what could be important registry keys and/ or files. If Malwarebytes is not finding anything, try running it in safe mode if you believe that your PC may be infected. Make SURE that Malwarebytes is updated, too. Keep in mind that if your PC is running slow, it could be due to transient conditions of the internet, your connection and/ or some sort of malware/ spyware. Also, older PCs don't do as well on the net, lately. Then, there's how many programs that are loading through your start menu.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:03:51 PM »
Oooops, I got confused, I didn't realize I started my own thread on this, I thought I posted my initial question in an existing thread.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 10:41:06 PM »
Oooops, I got confused, I didn't realize I started my own thread on this, I thought I posted my initial question in an existing thread.

You did, it was split off and moved. I'd like to see the original thread stay with just links and not troubleshooting advice. Thanks. :)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 10:09:33 PM »
You did, it was split off and moved. I'd like to see the original thread stay with just links and not troubleshooting advice. Thanks. :)

Oh OK, I thought I was losing my mind LOL.