Author Topic: Any refrigeration people here?  (Read 1664 times)

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
Any refrigeration people here?
« on: July 19, 2010, 07:52:44 PM »
I have a Fridgidaire side-by-side refrigerator/freezer. About six weeks ago it just stopped cooling on both sides, freezer and refrigerator. Ice melted and ran out on the floor, frozen stuff thawed, the works. After a few hours it came back on and operated normally, working fine until the next episode. Since then this has happened two more times. It's about 5-6 years old but we've only had it about a year and this is the first time it's started doing this. Any ideas before I call the repairman?
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline thundley4

Re: Any refrigeration people here?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:17:03 PM »
Check the cooling coils to see if they are dirty.  Since it works , stops and then works again, it sounds like maybe the compressor is over heating or maybe the motor that drives it. But I wouldn't think they'd take that long to cool down to function again.

I'm not into refrigeration, I work on electric motors.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 12:31:10 AM »
Thanks T, I'll check that out.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 10:37:11 PM »
Sounds to me like a defective cooling fan, maybe it's obstructed??  A thorough cleaning of the complete operational components should fix it up properly.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 02:10:45 PM »
I'm a complete novice at appliances but the timing between failures gets me. Is there something in the self defrost that ends the cycle that could be dead?

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »
Sounds like the coils, could be very dirty or fan failed. Do you fry alot? That's notorious for putting out sticky, dirty particles that will stop up anything.