Author Topic: Another question  (Read 6991 times)

Offline ardentconservative

• Just Off Probation
Another question
« on: July 10, 2010, 12:06:19 PM »
On my HP dc7600, running XP SP3, 32 bit I am trying to install a DVD-CD RW and can't get the DVD-RW to work.  The CD-RW works fine. I have a Samsung IDE DVD-CD RW that came out of another HP but when installed and I click on the icon the only thing that shows up is a CD burner.  I went to Samsung's site and couldn't find anything, same with the Hitachi.  I also have a Hitachi SATA DVD-CD RW that I can't remember what it came out of. Neither will work as a DVD-RW.

I have tried to find drivers for both, and can't.  I was wondering if I updated the BIOS if this would help.  The BIOS version on the computer is HP 786D1, v1.59  ., Date 3/1/07.  HP has a BIOS update 1.61 Rev., Date 8/7/09.  Am I barking up the wrong tree or what?

I also tried DriverDetective, but it had a many updates it wanted to perform.  What about sites like DriverDetective.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Another question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 01:03:04 PM »
Driver Detective is OK, IF you either pay for it or do it manually. Manually takes a little more skill. First thing I'd check is the BIOS. Make sure it sees it as a DVD RW in there. I had to research that specific issue last night because Win 7 was fighting me on the cd/ dvd drive driver issue. What I read is that many of them required some firmware updates.

BTW, PERFECT description of the problem, AC!! :)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 01:31:01 PM »
Driver Detective is OK, IF you either pay for it or do it manually. Manually takes a little more skill. First thing I'd check is the BIOS. Make sure it sees it as a DVD RW in there. I had to research that specific issue last night because Win 7 was fighting me on the cd/ dvd drive driver issue. What I read is that many of them required some firmware updates.

I'm learning, thanks again for the help.

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 03:22:36 PM »

aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggg, I can't figure out how to get into the BIOS on this darned computer.  When I turn on the computer I have three options.  F9-which is nothing but boot select.  F10-which is setup, but no way to access the BIOS, and F12-Network Service Boot.

Remember this is the HP dc7600, running XP SP3.  This only thing about BIOS I can find in any of them is under setup and it is simply something called BIOS power.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 04:31:42 PM »
F8, maybe?  On Dells and the one Gateway we have, I have to keep tapping F8 during startup.

As to the original problem of the drive, have you tried putting a DVD in it?  I've had the problem come up where a drive was listed as a "standard CD-rom drive", but it worked as it was supposed to: CD-R,+R,RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVDRW, and dual layer.

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 04:37:03 PM »
F8, maybe?  On Dells and the one Gateway we have, I have to keep tapping F8 during startup.

As to the original problem of the drive, have you tried putting a DVD in it?  I've had the problem come up where a drive was listed as a "standard CD-rom drive", but it worked as it was supposed to: CD-R,+R,RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVDRW, and dual layer.

Yes, thundley, it will play a DVD, but it will not burn anything to a DVD.  It will to a CD, but will only play a DVD.  The drive that was in the computer was a DVD-CD ROM. 

F-8 does nothing during start up, 

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
HP should be "del" key right after you turn it on. It may be F2 also
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 05:43:55 PM »
What software are you using to attempt to write to the DVD , and what type of disk (audio / video or data)  are you attempting to create on what type of media (DVD+R , DVD-R , DVDRW , ...) ?

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 04:20:43 PM »
Well, guys, I have tried F-1, F-2, esc., F10, and del., and I still haven't been able to access the BIOS.  I went to HP forum the other day and asked the question about using a DVD-CD RW , and was told that XP did not support DVD-R.  But I had an e-machines that ran XP and it came with a DVD-CD RW in it.  So evidently XP can support a DVD-R.  Anyway I am going to put the DVD-Rom back in the computer for now.  I am tired of worrying with it for the time being.  

Fact is I am thinking seriously about just buying a DVD-CD RW that has an install disk and go that route.  I have a DVD-CD RW that came out of the e-machines and one that came out of another HP and neither will work.  Oh, well, win some, lose some.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 04:35:08 PM »
I'd probably look for firmware updates before I gave up.

You can start here: http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/office/optical-disc-drives/dvd-writer/index.idx?pagetype=subtype

According to this site, it's either F1 or F2

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

and this site suggests several alternatives:
http://www.motherboardpoint.com/access-bios-hp-pavilion-753c-t49114.html
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:39:03 PM by Thor »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 04:36:51 PM »
Have you tried a different application?  Try infra.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »
Have you tried a different application?  Try infra.
I love Infra! Works great and it is free.

Of course, if you so choose, you can download some (cough, cough) free applications here.

FOSI has been `round since the mid-90's and has NEVER screwed anyone over or dropped a viri on their `puter...

ETA - disregard the 'PRON' though. Hey, the guy has to make a living somehow...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:49:25 PM by PatriotGame »
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 05:13:26 PM »
Ok, guys, thanks for the help.  I have finally discovered what the problem is.  The computer recognized the DVD player, the CD as a player and writer, but won't recognize the DVD as a writer.  So now I will have to figure out why. 

Thor, Chris and PG thanks for the advice, I will look into you links.  But one question.  This computer, before I got it was used in a business.  It only had an 80 GB HD, and is a pretty basic computer that I have upgraded as much as I know how, but for $168 it was a buy.  Could it be, and I am asking because here I am in the dark, that the firmware that was installed needs to be, whatever, or could there be another reason why the computer won't recognize the DVD writer. 

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 05:16:53 PM »

Yes, thundley, it will play a DVD, but it will not burn anything to a DVD.  It will to a CD, but will only play a DVD.  The drive that was in the computer was a DVD-CD ROM.  

F-8 does nothing during start up,  

thundley, F-8 takes the computer into safe mode, another thing I have been trying to figure out how to do.  Problem before, bad F-8 key. You really have to bang it to get it to work.  Will probably buy me a new one in the near future, maybe a wireless one.   :hi5: :hi5:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:19:27 PM by ardentconservative »

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 05:31:36 PM »
thundley, F-8 takes the computer into safe mode, another thing I have been trying to figure out how to do.  Problem before, bad F-8 key. You really have to bang it to get it to work.  Will probably buy me a new one in the near future, maybe a wireless one.   :hi5: :hi5:
Depending on the system, there can be a very slim window of time when the F8 key-press intercept will work to display the Safe Mode boot menus. Typically immediately after the first beep or the keyboard lights first flash. When you see the keyboard lights flash, stand on the F8 key.

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 05:40:56 PM »
I'd probably look for firmware updates before I gave up.

You can start here: http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/office/optical-disc-drives/dvd-writer/index.idx?pagetype=subtype

Thanks Thor, they have firmware updates for TS-H552B, C, and U; but not for TS-H552D

According to this site, it's either F1 or F2

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

and this site suggests several alternatives:
http://www.motherboardpoint.com/access-bios-hp-pavilion-753c-t49114.html

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 05:42:04 PM »
Ok, guys, thanks for the help.  I have finally discovered what the problem is.  The computer recognized the DVD player, the CD as a player and writer, but won't recognize the DVD as a writer.  So now I will have to figure out why. 

Thor, Chris and PG thanks for the advice, I will look into you links.  But one question.  This computer, before I got it was used in a business.  It only had an 80 GB HD, and is a pretty basic computer that I have upgraded as much as I know how, but for $168 it was a buy.  Could it be, and I am asking because here I am in the dark, that the firmware that was installed needs to be, whatever, or could there be another reason why the computer won't recognize the DVD writer. 

It really may be a firmware (some call it BIOS) issue. Try this - hold down the Windows key then hit the Pause/Break key. Select Device Manager, then right click on the DVD/CD Drive, select properties. Dig around, find the drive model number and driver version. Google it, looking for a firmware update for the drive from the manufacturer. If a firmware update exists, install per instructions. If not, then try a BIOS update for your computer. If none of that works, then buy another DVD/CD burner drive. Seriously, you can buy them for 20 bucks off of New Egg these days. Is your invested time really worth all of this trouble now?

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 06:26:02 PM »
It really may be a firmware (some call it BIOS) issue. Try this - hold down the Windows key then hit the Pause/Break key. Select Device Manager, then right click on the DVD/CD Drive, select properties. Dig around, find the drive model number and driver version. Google it, looking for a firmware update for the drive from the manufacturer. If a firmware update exists, install per instructions. If not, then try a BIOS update for your computer. If none of that works, then buy another DVD/CD burner drive. Seriously, you can buy them for 20 bucks off of New Egg these days. Is your invested time really worth all of this trouble now?

No go PG, the driver is a Microsoft driver, v.5.1.2535.0, Date 7/1/01.  I tried Mircosoft and they didn't have an update on the driver.  I googled  for the  following information, firmware update for TS-H552D, v5.1.2535.0 and the only information I got was; Did you mean: firmware update for TS- H552B , v5.1.2535.0

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 07:04:53 PM »
No go PG, the driver is a Microsoft driver, v.5.1.2535.0, Date 7/1/01.  I tried Mircosoft and they didn't have an update on the driver.  I googled  for the  following information, firmware update for TS-H552D, v5.1.2535.0 and the only information I got was; Did you mean: firmware update for TS- H552B , v5.1.2535.0
At this point, you are wasting your time my friend.

This:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

Or this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136144

Life is too short...

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 07:30:09 PM »
At this point, you are wasting your time my friend.

This:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

Or this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136144

Life is too short...

PG, I had about come to that conclusion, but wanted to exhaust all efforts.  The DVD drives in your links are SATA and the two SATA connections that this computer has is already in use with two HD's.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 07:41:11 PM »
SATA isn't all that old. I doubt that it died already.

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 01:37:26 AM »
PG, I had about come to that conclusion, but wanted to exhaust all efforts.  The DVD drives in your links are SATA and the two SATA connections that this computer has is already in use with two HD's.
The second is IDE. That's why I included two links.

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 05:47:19 PM »
Ok guys, another couple of question.

The reason that was wanting to get a DVD-R working on the dc7600 was to create a recovery disk for the computer in case something happened.

Since I can't I have four computers in my home.  Two in the computer room connected to the router by ethernet cables. One in the wife's sewing room connected by a wireless adapter.  The one in my study is also a wireless adapter.  I have gotten the two computers in the computer room networked, but don't know how to get the two on wireless adapters networked.  How do you accomplish that.

If I can get my study computer networked to the router, which is a router that you can use ethernet cables or wireless adapters, couldn't I use the network to backup the study computer by sending it to the DVD-CD RW on the Acer computer in the computer room like I do when I print on the printer connected to the Acer from the Hp that is also in the computer room.  Will that work.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 05:58:40 PM »
I'm not sure about accessing an application and device on a remote computer (you might be able to set up a Terminal Server that will allow you to do this).  You may just want to turn on Windows File and Print sharing and use one of them as a backup file server.

That way, you can regularly schedule backups on all your computers to a single machine.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:10:44 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 10:56:06 PM »
Ever heard of a switched hub?? They connect to routers and allow more things to be connected to the router through the hub. Any router will support up to 254 additional separate IPs. (The router being 192.168.1.1, for example and it will go up to 192.168.1.255)