Author Topic: Health law risks turning away sick  (Read 2706 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Health law risks turning away sick
« on: July 02, 2010, 10:22:08 AM »
The Obama administration has not ruled out turning sick people away from an insurance program created by the new healthcare law to provide coverage for the uninsured.

Critics of the $5 billion high-risk pool program insist it will run out of money before Jan. 1, 2014. That’s when the program sunsets and health plans can no longer discriminate against people with pre-existing conditions.

Administration officials insist they can make changes to the program to ensure it lasts until 2014, and that it may not have to turn away sick people. Officials said the administration could also consider reducing benefits under the program, or redistributing funds between state pools. But they acknowledged turning some people away was also a possibility. ...
http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/106887-health-law-risks-turning-away-sick

Offline bkg

Re: Health law risks turning away sick
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:24:05 AM »
 :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

have to pass it to know what's in it... brilliant.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 11:39:30 AM »
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

have to pass it to know what's in it... brilliant.

Crap, this has been a policy of workers health insurance since the 1960's.

So long ago but darn if I understand it to this day.

A man who worked for a company with health insurance that married a woman could place her on his health insurance.  However if the bride was pregnant at the time of the marriage, it was considered a pre existing condition.The health care would not cover her, just the baby.

People at that time were covered for any number of things that were pre existing conditions but not  birth.  The limit at that time was 5 1/2 pounds for a full term baby, so a woman that was diabetic and had a baby over that weight even at 8 months was denied benefits.

On the side , I went to a large company at a young age not married at that time and before being hired had to go to a Doctor to determin if I was pregnant.

So funny, I was on my period at the time with a tampon in place and the Doctor actually pulled it out to examine it.  A woman doctor who to my bewilderment first looked at the tampon, then SMELLED it to insure this was actual menstrual blood

Off to the side, in the 2 years I worked there I know of 3 coworkers that had bad teeth. They managed to get their doctors to put them in the hospital to have their teeth removed and a set of plates put in.   All this was covered by insurence and having a dentist do it would not be covered.

There will be alot of hankie pank going on between the doctors, their patients and the government before all is said and done.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:42:16 AM »
All together now, for the lurking DUmb****s:

WE TOLD YOU SO!!!

:fuelfire:  :bird:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 06:16:26 AM »
or redistributing funds between state pools.

Now hold up a minute here Messiah.   You can take money away from Joe taxpayer as he is just one guy -- what is he going to do to you?    but you think you are going to take TX's money and give it to FL? 

:lmao:

Oh damn is that going to leave a mark.