Author Topic: sense of jerkiness  (Read 5485 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
sense of jerkiness
« on: March 21, 2008, 02:11:47 PM »
Sometimes--not right now, but earlier today, and then at various times on the old server--the site gives a sense of "jerking," as if something isn't "stable."

A bit of bounciness, one might say.

At least on this computer monitor it does.

At the same time the site is bouncing around, on the grey bar at the bottom of the screen, there are constant split-second streams of verbiage, stating "waiting for......" and then a whole lot of other words and numbers.

Oddly, this is seen even if one is signed off of here, and on freerepublic, for example.

This doesn't happen all the time; maybe about half the time.

Too, sometimes when a page opens, it's as if stretching Saran-wrap or something.

This doesn't happen all the time; maybe about half the time.

This happens both with Internet Explorer and Firefox.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Re: sense of jerkiness
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 05:16:56 PM »
Is it an old monitor?  My old crt used to wobble all over the place before I traded up to the laptop.  No reason at all that Mr. Gore's interweb would be unstable.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 05:18:29 PM »
I had a similar think with the old server, but it is fine now.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 05:44:33 PM »
WWhhaatteevveerr ddoo yyoouu mmeeaan?

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 07:10:04 PM »
haven't had a problem since my divorce.. :lmao:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 09:59:21 PM »
I'm having that same problem currently. :(
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 10:03:46 PM »

I am unaware of anything that we could be doing on the site admin side that would make your
monitor "jerky".  is there a deguasse option on your monitor?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 10:13:14 PM »

I am unaware of anything that we could be doing on the site admin side that would make your

I have no clue what that is. LOL   

I'm hoping the problem just lies with my ISP, aka Comcrap.

My problem could be different.  The site is constantly hesitating when I move around the site.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 12:25:28 AM »
It could be your refresh rate is set wrong. Go to any open area on your desktop, right-click "Properties", then "Settings". Hit the "Advanced" button then the "Monitor" tab. Your monitor type and refresh rate will be shown. Usually these can be from 60 to 85 Hertz. Change it to 60, click "Apply" and see if that helps. If not, got to 65 Hertz and so forth.
Hope that helps.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 07:42:39 AM »

I'm going to try UhHuh's suggestion later today; got too many things going on in the morning and early afternoon.

If that doesn't work, what is a "deguasse option"?

I know I'm being like a kindergartener asking a Ph.D. how to add 2 + 2, and I thank you.

The "Saran Wrap effect" is when the top part of a page is clear and accurate, but as one begins scrolling down, it "stretches" (vertically) to where, when one reaches the bottom, a 10-font letter stretches from the top of the monitor to the bottom.

All one can do then is wait and wait and wait, and sooner or later--but more usually much later--the page contracts to what it's supposed to be.

It doesn't happen with Firefox at all, but with Internet Explorer, it seems (please notice the "seems") to happen the most, and the worst, depending upon the number of people at this site.  If ten or less people in here, it doesn't seem to happen at all.  But more than 10 people, it happens.  And more than 20 people.....well, it's a nightmare worse than a date with Doug's ex-wife, or almost as bad as kissing Fat Che.

This might, or might not, be related.

All other web-sites, from freerepublic to the Drudge Report, work fine, no Saran Wrap effect.

One might ask, "Well then, why not just use Firefox?"

Problem, and it has discouraged me from posting bonfires from Skins's island.

When copying for pasting from Skins's island, Internet Explorer copies only those things visible to the naked eye; when copying for pasting with Firefox, Firefox picks up a lot of "hidden" stuff that has to be edited out when one brings it over here.  It's a lot of editing, a lot.  A whale of a lot of editing.

All good things come with time, and I'm not complaining--no way--but I'm hoping someone can illuminate on this.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Uhhuh35

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 10:57:31 AM »
what is a "deguasse option"?
If you have an older monitor, from like ten or fifteen years ago, it would build up a static electricity charge that had to be "relieved" and pushing that button would do that. If you have that function, then there will be a "degausse" button on your monitor. But if there was you would have already done that I think.

From your other descriptions Frank, because it works fine under FireFox but not IE, there may be an issue with Java or a related plug in for IE. I have Windows XP with both browsers and the Automatic Update function is on so Windows automatically updates any programs I have on my 'puter or "Computa Dora".

Here's a quick fix you may want to try: Go to: Start-Control Panel-Internet Options-Advanced Tab-Then push the "Reset" button near the bottom. That will reset everything internet browser related back to stock. Hope that helps. 

:cheersmate:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 11:09:13 AM »
I have a dead spot on my old TV.  I tried using a degaussing ring to get rid of it, but it didn't work.  :(

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 03:55:52 PM »
After I posted my last comment, earlier today, I suddenly remembered that when I purchased this monitor, the guy told me about a "degausse" button, but as he didn't explain the nature of it, it went in the head and right back out.

So I just checked, and found what I imagine is a "degausse" button.

But I didn't tamper with it, because it doesn't seem to be a monitor issue; the "Saran Wrap effect" seems to be a conservativecave-on-Internet-Explorer issue; it doesn't happen with any other web-site, and it doesn't happen with Firefox.

I'll be trying UhHuh's suggestion later; I'm still pretty busy in real life at the moment.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 11:47:21 AM »
The "Saran Wrap effect" is when the top part of a page is clear and accurate, but as one begins scrolling down, it "stretches" (vertically) to where, when one reaches the bottom, a 10-font letter stretches from the top of the monitor to the bottom.

I have been having the same problem...

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 06:24:17 PM »
You know, Uhhuh, I tried your earlier suggestion about setting the browing speed.

When I did that--it's set at "60" at the moment--the computer shut down, turned back on, and the "picture" on the monitor occupied only 80% of the screen, whereas it had earlier occupied 100% of it.

I sent it back to "60," and the picutre returned to its full size.

I got really nervous about it, because one time many years ago I reset something that had to do with "resolution" on the monitor, and it killed the monitor; I had to go out and get a new one.

After that, I decided to not mess with monitors.

This nervousness is heightened by that even though monitors are a dime a dozen, if this one goes out, well, it's a 90-mile round-trip from here to another one.

There was no instruction book with this particular monitor.

At the bottom, near the base, there's a little button marked OSD.  In the center at the bottom, there's a big button that one turns, for "contrast" and somesuch.  On the other side of that, there's a little button with a nearly-complete circle with a slash coming down into it.

(On edit: this got posted before I finished it, so I'm finishing it.)

The monitor is an ADC Spectrum 7Glr; it's probably old and outdated by most standards, but as long as it works, I'm reluctant to toss it.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 06:32:37 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Uhhuh35

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 08:04:12 PM »
You know, Uhhuh, I tried your earlier suggestion about setting the browing speed.
When I did that--it's set at "60" at the moment--the computer shut down, turned back on, and the "picture" on the monitor occupied only 80% of the screen, whereas it had earlier occupied 100% of it.
I sent it back to "60," and the picutre returned to its full size.

Is this what you have Frank?:
http://www.3dretreat.com/reviews/aoc7glr/page1.shtml
You should have these functions:
# Contrast
# Brightness
# Horizontal Center
# Horizontal Size
# Vertical Center
# Vertical Size
# Zoom

That'll happen sometimes when you change the refresh rate. When that happens you have to change the size of your desktop which is even easier to do. Your monitor has controls on the face of it. Push that button in the middle, it will depress. Rotate it to the function you want, push it again and increase or decrease the function.

When it changes it's size it does make a sound like an old vacuum tube blowing up but don't worry, mine does the same thing.

Hope that Helps. :-)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 08:06:51 PM by Uhhuh35 »
— Albert Einstein.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 08:27:58 PM »
Yep, Uhhuh, that's exactly what I have.

It's exact.

I'll try it tomorrow (Sunday); I too busy at the moment in real life to deal with computer changes, and then I'll get back on this thread to let you know.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 01:00:21 PM »
I think it is IE.  IE dosn't do CSS well, has a buggy version of Javascript and all kind of other problems.

Firefox is the best solution.

Firefox on the mac that is.
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!