Author Topic: Termites  (Read 3158 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Termites
« on: June 19, 2010, 06:11:03 PM »
Before we moved in they tented the house for termites (we know for a fact it was tented because the previous homeowners had to put it in writing and neighbors told us it was tented).  After we had the house painted we had the awnings recovered with black material (they were green).  We noticed termite pellets on one of the awnings.  We have never seen them before so we looked them up, sure enough that is what they are.  Has anyone had this happen before and do they have to tent again or can they spot treat?  What a PITA. 

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: Termites
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 06:34:46 PM »
BEG,

I worked for Terminix for 4 years.  After they do a fumigation on a home you can still have drywood pellets come out if there is any kind of bumping of the wood.  Just because you are seeing the pellets doesn't mean you still have the drywood termites.

You need to keep an eye on it and see if they continue to come out of the same spot.

As to your question about spot treating ... unfortunately they can't do that.  It would have to be another complete fumigation IF they are still, in fact, active.

Are the pellets 6 sided with one pointed end and one rounded end?  Can you see where they are coming out?  If you can I would tap on the wood in that area until you can't anymore to come out then I would check it again in a month or so to see if you can get anymore to come out.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 07:30:38 PM »
Since it's been treated once, you might want to call the company that did the treatment, have them come out, check the house again, and if there are no termites....get a termite bond.

They will come out once a year and do a check and either renew the bond or treat the house for free and then you renew the bond.

The bond's a whole lot less than a treatment.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 07:34:50 PM »
Since it's been treated once, you might want to call the company that did the treatment, have them come out, check the house again, and if there are no termites....get a termite bond.

They will come out once a year and do a check and either renew the bond or treat the house for free and then you renew the bond.

The bond's a whole lot less than a treatment.

Deb, Drywood termites and eastern subterranian termites are completey different creatures.  Of course with this being CA she could be doing worse and be dealing with formosan termites.  Those things SUCK big time.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 08:33:22 PM »
BEG,

I worked for Terminix for 4 years.  After they do a fumigation on a home you can still have drywood pellets come out if there is any kind of bumping of the wood.  Just because you are seeing the pellets doesn't mean you still have the drywood termites.

You need to keep an eye on it and see if they continue to come out of the same spot.

As to your question about spot treating ... unfortunately they can't do that.  It would have to be another complete fumigation IF they are still, in fact, active.

Are the pellets 6 sided with one pointed end and one rounded end?  Can you see where they are coming out?  If you can I would tap on the wood in that area until you can't anymore to come out then I would check it again in a month or so to see if you can get anymore to come out.

KC

No they aren't 6 sided.  They look like miniature perfectly formed sesame seeds only they are more similar on both ends than a sesame seed. They also are all the same light sesame seed color.  The ones I see online seem to have darker colored ones mixed in or are shaped different.  They are all exactly the same size.  My husband found the "hole" which was so small.  He found it with a mirror when the sun happened to hit the hole just right.  I wonder if when he installed the new awnings (he took down the frames then put them back up after after they were recovered) after we painted if that could have loosened it up and made them fall out?  We saw some last month though and didn't know what it was so he just brushed it off.  When we saw it today he put some in a ziplock bag.  We can find no other damage in that area or anywhere near there, haven't seen anything inside or out except for the pellets.  Before we painted and the old awnings were up we didn't see anything.

They appear more "perfect" than these below (and all the same exact color).

Another note, they also scraped the trim before they painted, could that have anything to do with it?  The hole is in the trim above the awning. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 08:39:28 PM by BEG »

Offline GOP Congress

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 08:43:19 PM »

Ah, I see that DU is having their convention early this year.  :beer:

Good luck getting rid of your termite problem.
"The main purpose of the Democrat Party and the Left is to destroy the United States, transform Western Civilization to a tribal-based dystopia, and to ultimately kill all conservatives and non progressives." - Jonah Kyle

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 08:57:42 PM »
Actually my husband took a look through a loop and said that some of them are "faceted" and some aren't. 

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »
Yeah, you have to look at them with a microscope to see the sides.  If you were doing work you could have dislodged some pellets that were still in the galleries.  On the plus side drywood termites are REALLY small colonies and don't do a lot of damage quickly.

The swarmers are a reddish brown color.  If you see any of those then you definitely have an active infestation.  I would call a good reputable company and ask for an inspection.  Most will do the inspection for free but make sure you tell them you had a fumigation done.

Any chance you have the paperwork on what kind of gas was used?  If done properly there is little chance of anything living through a fumigation and I mean ANYTHING that breathes oxygen including plants.

KC

*Stolen

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »
Deb, Drywood termites and eastern subterranian termites are completey different creatures.  Of course with this being CA she could be doing worse and be dealing with formosan termites.  Those things SUCK big time.

KC

Oh. I'm just familiar with the ones we have in TN. Nasty little f'rs that can do horrendous damage.  :(
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 11:46:40 PM »
Yeah, you have to look at them with a microscope to see the sides.  If you were doing work you could have dislodged some pellets that were still in the galleries.  On the plus side drywood termites are REALLY small colonies and don't do a lot of damage quickly.

The swarmers are a reddish brown color.  If you see any of those then you definitely have an active infestation.  I would call a good reputable company and ask for an inspection.  Most will do the inspection for free but make sure you tell them you had a fumigation done.

Any chance you have the paperwork on what kind of gas was used?  If done properly there is little chance of anything living through a fumigation and I mean ANYTHING that breathes oxygen including plants.

KC

Thank you so much KC. Would you recommend us calling the same company that tented the house or should we call someone else?

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 02:30:50 PM »
Thank you so much KC. Would you recommend us calling the same company that tented the house or should we call someone else?

BEG, I would definitely call the company that did the work but I would also call another reputable company as a back up.  I would probably call a different company to come out first that way when you call the company that did the work you will have some 'homework' done and know a little bit about what they're telling you.

KC

*Stolen

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 06:03:18 PM »
Termites.

UGH.

I've had to spend quite some cash rectifying termite damage. Now I have a bunch of traps around the perimeter of the house (my house is on metal poles about 3 feet off the ground). The termite company inspects these traps once a month and adds a chemical to them if they detect any activity. This chemical is consumed by the termites and taken back to the nest, and will apparently kill the nest.

I'm somewhat dubious about this claim given the damn things come back about every 6 months. Fortunately not into the house (I can identify tracks up the posts if they do).

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 07:13:19 PM »
Termites.

UGH.

I've had to spend quite some cash rectifying termite damage. Now I have a bunch of traps around the perimeter of the house (my house is on metal poles about 3 feet off the ground). The termite company inspects these traps once a month and adds a chemical to them if they detect any activity. This chemical is consumed by the termites and taken back to the nest, and will apparently kill the nest.

I'm somewhat dubious about this claim given the damn things come back about every 6 months. Fortunately not into the house (I can identify tracks up the posts if they do).

The problem I always had with termite bait systems was that if you don't pay your renewal they come and take them back.  Then you have nothing.  When you have a liquid chemical application and you don't pay your renewal it is still in the ground.  It will break down eventually and may even have some weak spots from improper application but it is still in the ground.

KC

*Stolen

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 07:44:21 PM »
The problem I always had with termite bait systems was that if you don't pay your renewal they come and take them back.  Then you have nothing.  When you have a liquid chemical application and you don't pay your renewal it is still in the ground.  It will break down eventually and may even have some weak spots from improper application but it is still in the ground.

KC

I agree - it's just that when you have 8 or 9 feet of annual rainfall and it channels down two sides of the house, the poison doesn't last quite so well. It's a "barrier" method that's not really suitable for my situation.

If I could dump a few drums of chlordane around and solve the problem - I would.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »

KC

I've always wondered....maybe there's termite directors underground...pointing out to the masses..."Underground trap ahead, avoid with all caution!"

:uhsure:

I do know how they work....I just think eventually after seeing all their buddies croak, the others are going to get smart and avoid the trap.    :-)