Author Topic: Girl's Dying Wish Denied; Imprisoned Father Not Coming Home  (Read 3383 times)

Offline VivisMom

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3036736

I saw this on the news this AM, and I was wondering how long it would take to surface at the DUmp.

redqueen  (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-20-08 11:17 AM
Original message
Girl's Dying Wish Denied; Imprisoned Father Not Coming Home 
 Advertisements [?]Source: KETV

A 10-year-old Lincoln girl dying of brain cancer has one wish -- for her father to be at her bedside.

It isn't likely to happen. Her father is in a federal prison in Yankton, S.D.

Vonda Yaeger is pleading with the warden for compassion to grant her daughter's wish.

"She wants her dad. She goes to her room crying because she wants her dad," Yaeger said.

Jason Yaeger was convicted of methamphetamine charges nearly five years ago and is scheduled to be released next year.

Read more: http://www.ketv.com/family/15643474/detail.html

Did anyone watch American Drug War: The Last White Hope?

www.americandrugwar.com

How long are we going to put up with this?

I know this guy was making meth... and that's a much more serious crime than just using drugs... but the fact is that if drugs were dealt with RESPONSIBLY by our government, meth wouldn't be as pervasive a problem as it is.

The "war on drugs" (which is really just a war on the poor and a way to feed the Prison Industrial Compex) is making things WORSE for our country, our children, and our health.

Stop the Drug War - Cops Against the Drug War
http://stopthedrugwar.org/cops_against_the_drug_war

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
http://www.leap.cc/cms/index.php?name=Speakers&bio=217

CIA Jet Carrying Four Tons of Cocaine Also Made Trips to Gitmo
http://www.alternet.org/blogs/video/71783/

Okay, maybe I'm hard-hearted, but this guy was making meth. Why should he get out early? I'm sorry his little girl has cancer, but her dad committed a federal crime.

Of course, the DUmmies don't agree:

KansDem  (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-20-08 11:22 AM
Response to Original message
1. This is just so wrong...
 My son is 10 and the thought he could be wanting me with him while he dies while I'm in prison on some drug rap sickens me and breaks my heart...

Blue_In_AK  (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-20-08 11:30 AM
3. I did see American Drug War
 Edited on Thu Mar-20-08 11:31 AM by Blue_In_AK
and it should be required viewing for everybody. Even my 82-year-old mother-in-law, who's never done an illegal drug in her life, was blown away after watching it.

This is so sad for this little girl. What possible harm could come from letting her see her daddy one last time? This is just horrible. 

What's horrible is that he was making meth, which was probably going to be distributed to someone else's kid.

dicksteele  (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-20-08 12:02 PM
Response to Reply #5
22. Enjoy your stay at DU, you blatantly LYING FReepTroll. 
 You NEVER did any of that. If you had even ever MET
anyone who had, you'd know how silly your lies sound.

redqueen  (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-20-08 12:04 PM
Response to Reply #22
26. What's really sad about all these people so committed to missing the point...
 is that they seem to want to defend the prison industrial complex, and the racism inherent in this country's immoral "war on drugs".

Kind of hard for me to fathom that...

It's pretty obvious that my OP is about more than this one tragic situation.

Dude's a white guy. Nice try though.

Lance_Boyle (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-20-08 11:43 AM
6. Aside from the dying part, this is no different from any other kid
 upset that his/her convicted parent is in prison. If the state imprisoning the man does not allow for furlough, then that's how it is, sick child or not. There are lots of convicts in prison who have kids on the outside facing trauma or death. A child of a prisoner could be facing risky surgery - does that prisoner get furloughed to visit in the hospital? If the appeal to emotion works for this methmaker, then it should work for all other incarcerated people. It is simply not practicable, and it invites unequal treatment.

Ruh-roh...one of the Borg is daring to think for themselves!

Lance_Boyle (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-20-08 12:01 PM
Response to Reply #8
21. It's the same scenario.
 If you furlough this guy because his daughter is dying, then you have to furlough the guy whose child is having a transplant - that child may die on the table, and when that happens wouldn't you feel bad having denied his dead child the chance to see dad one last time? I don't see where you're coming from with the muddy waters thing - these are strikingly similar scenarios. Child at risk of death, incarcerated parent. It's a perfectly valid issue to raise.

My goal is to show that the logical fallacy of appeal to emotion is NO basis for decision-making in the criminal justice system.

redqueen  (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-20-08 12:03 PM
Response to Reply #21
23. She's not AT RISK she is DYING.
 FAIL.

Lance_Boyle (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-20-08 01:07 PM
Response to Reply #59
60. agreed
 A huge can of worms gets opened up when this must be decided on a case-by-case basis. Why did prisoner A get furloughed to see his sick child but prisoner B didn't? Lawsuit. Why was prisoner C's child's surgery deemed less worthy of a visit from the incarcerated parent than prisoner D's? Lawsuit. Not to mention that you'd need to pay for a pretty much full-time furlough committee to make the decisions. Hopefully just one, because if it's more than one, you introduce MORE inconsistency, and breed MORE lawsuits over unequal treatment. It's a nasty mess.

Frank, you may have to put this one on your list of non-primitives. He's making sense.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Girl's Dying Wish Denied; Imprisoned Father Not Coming Home
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 01:17:09 PM »
Well, I dunno about this lanced boil primitive.

I've been greatly disappointed by the legendary herb primitive and the cali primitive, and I'm hesitant to rank any primitive as a non-primitive or a first-tier primitive--the premier ranks on Skins's island--because inevitably they fall down, to second-tier primitive or third-tier primitive or unterprimitiven or bottom-of-the-barrel primitive or drek primitive.

Ths primitives always disappoint.

I'll keep the eyeballs peeled on the lanced boil primitive, though; if the lanced boil primitive shows he has a life outside of Skins's island, that might be enough to nudge him into first-tier primitivehood.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 01:19:36 PM »
I seriously think they should have given him a furlough.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 01:23:09 PM »
Making meth isn't just bad because it creates meth.  Making meth is DANGEROUS.  If even a small meth lab blows, it can take out the surrounding structures.  If he was making it at ome, the chemicals in the very air were poisoning this girl.

Making meth is one of the most selfish things someone can do.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Flame

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 03:02:15 PM »
It's called CONSEQUENCES.

This moron made a choice to make meth.  That has consequences, for him AND his family.

He should have thought about it before he he made such a stupid decision.

Yes, I realize he didn't know his daughter was going to get cancer and die, or that he thought he wouldn't get caught or whatever, but those are the risks you take.     When my kids were little, they NEVER rode in the car without being in their carseats.  Yes, 99 times out of 100 it woud have been fine, but that ONE % chance of something going wrong wasn't worth the gamble to me.  The risk was a price I wasn't willing to pay.

People have to learn that actions have consequences, and act accordingly.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 03:03:49 PM »
It's called CONSEQUENCES.

This moron made a choice to make meth.  That has consequences, for him AND his family.

He should have thought about it before he he made such a stupid decision.

Yes, I realize he didn't know his daughter was going to get cancer and die, or that he thought he wouldn't get caught or whatever, but those are the risks you take.     When my kids were little, they NEVER rode in the car without being in their carseats.  Yes, 99 times out of 100 it woud have been fine, but that ONE % chance of something going wrong wasn't worth the gamble to me.  The risk was a price I wasn't willing to pay.

People have to learn that actions have consequences, and act accordingly.
See my post above. There is a good chance he GAVE her the cancer (the chemicals used for meth are carcinogens).

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 03:09:55 PM »
I'm with flame on this one. He made his choice years ago.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 03:10:48 PM »
I don't see a problem giving him a guarded 24-Hour furlough to be with his daughter. Not for him, mind you, but for his daughter. Afterwards, send his sorryass back to jail.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 03:34:22 PM »
^I'd be okay with them setting something up but with lots of stipulations. And yes, only for the girl. He can rot for all I care.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 03:42:16 PM »

He just had one 3 weeks ago. The problem is he was only able to see his kids for all of like two hours.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 03:48:15 PM »

He just had one 3 weeks ago. The problem is he was only able to see his kids for all of like two hours.
Well, boo frickin hoo.  What do they want, for him to stay there until she dies?  What if that's weeks away?  Piss on him, don't make meth.

If the DUmmies are right, and there is no God, then when she dies, she'll just blank out.  No afterlife, no memory, no conciousness of any kind.  So once she's gone, she'll never know the difference.  No harm done, right?

But since he's making their beloved meth, he should get a free pass.  What if he was in prison for accidentally killing the wrong Iraqi during combat?  Think they would be frothing at the mouth to get him out of prison and to his daughter's bedside?
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline lastparker

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 03:48:51 PM »
The DUmmies never fail to act like a bunch of middle school adolescents.  Where's all the blame?  On the "horrible" criminal justice system, with only one or two sane people pointing to the meth dealer.
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 03:58:59 PM »

Well if he's had a furlough, then my sympathies went down a lot.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 04:35:59 PM »

Well if he's had a furlough, then my sympathies went down a lot.

Yeah, clearly I should have read the story.  :thatsright:

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 04:48:05 PM »
^I'd be okay with them setting something up but with lots of stipulations. And yes, only for the girl. He can rot for all I care.

I agree with giving him a furlough.  He's had 3 visits with his daughter, but each one only lasts a couple of hours.  He's scheduled to go to a halfway house in August, then he'd be able to see her more, but they don't think she'll live long enough.  This is punishing the dying daughter. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 05:28:19 PM »
I don't see a problem giving him a guarded 24-Hour furlough to be with his daughter. Not for him, mind you, but for his daughter. Afterwards, send his sorryass back to jail.
So she wants her father at her besside when she dies?  Kinda hard to schedule that sort of thing with the prison.

Offline MPCOA

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 06:48:10 PM »
If you are making meth I don't think you should be around your kids. Like has been said it's bad to breath and will explode.
Don't suffer from PTSD, go out and cause it

Embrace the Hate

"Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return." Gen. Colin Powell

Offline Rebel

• Administrator

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline guest

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 04:50:56 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,342253,00.html

That's good to hear.   

Have the DUmmies been talking about it yet? 

*goes to look*

Edit: Yep, they did.  Nothing outrageous....yet.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3244900
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 04:54:29 PM by ACrazyConservative »

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 05:06:10 PM »
The DUmbasses won't be happy unless there's a full Presidential pardon NOW!!!!!11
That way once the inevitable happens he can console himself by making meth again with no worries of a violation.

My Mother died 2 months before my brother got home from his Federal Vacation program. Maybe she should have whined on the DUmp.   ::)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 06:20:45 PM »
Jayci Yaeger Dies After Seeing Imprisoned Father
LINCOLN, Neb. -- A 10-year-old girl has died, just a day after her wish to see her father was granted.

Jayci Yaeger's imprisoned father, Jason, went to her bedside Wednesday -- a visit federal authorities allowed only after being deluged with letters and phone calls from across the nation.

I could care less about the dirtbag meth-head, but this is too sad.  :(

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 07:03:11 PM »
My humble opinion, but I think a deal should have been worked out with his lawyer where he could spend the last week or two with his daughter in exchange for adding a month or two to his time behind bars. I don't know or care what the SOP is but I would jump at a chance like that in the same position.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline jukin

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 07:21:21 PM »
Some benefactor wants to pay for the security to let him visit fine.  I don't think that the taxpayers should be on the hook for this. 
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline CactusCarlos

• Pray, eat your vitamins, and one day you too could be a
  • If I agree with you, then we'll both be wrong.
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 07:34:20 PM »
Y'all, this is a dead thread.  He was allowed to go home and was able to spend about an hour with his daughter.  She later died.
"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism, but under the name of liberalism they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it happened."
  -- Norman Thomas, six-time Socialist Party presidential candidate and one of the founders of the ACLU