Author Topic: Travertine  (Read 3726 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Travertine
« on: June 04, 2010, 01:33:08 PM »
We have travertine in our kitchen.  I don't like it.  It looks like crap.  I think when they had it laid the person didn't get all of the grout off the tiles and now there are raised areas of cement like stuff on most of the tiles. I have actually gotten on my hands and knees and scraped some of the extra "grout" off the tiles with a razor.  It would take me friggen forever to get it all off and besides, the tile looks like crap even with out the grout on all of the tiles as it looks really worn (it was installed in 2004).  Has anyone here refinished travertine?  I know I can have it refinished by a professional but it will cost over $1000.  I read how to's online and it seems you sand it with three different grits of sand paper (orbital sander) then just reseal.  Would you or wouldn't you attempt to do it yourself?  The original finish is more matte than polished. 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Travertine
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 02:16:35 PM »
BEG, just tear the house down and start over.   :tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:18:33 PM »
One of the pitfalls  of Polishing/sanding of traventine tiles is it could possibly expose uncovered pits crevices or holes.  It's a tough call as to wetheryou should hire the job out or do it yourself. Traventine flooring is notorious for it's difficulty in finishing and maintenance.

The "grout" you see may have purposely put on the stone to fill holes and crvices.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 02:31:56 PM »
What is this 'travertine?'  :popcorn:

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 02:40:41 PM »
One of the pitfalls  of Polishing/sanding of traventine tiles is it could possibly expose uncovered pits crevices or holes.  It's a tough call as to wetheryou should hire the job out or do it yourself. Traventine flooring is notorious for it's difficulty in finishing and maintenance.

The "grout" you see may have purposely put on the stone to fill holes and crvices.

No I can see where it has been filled, these are obvious globs of either cement or grout.  I think it's grout.  They are large and raised quite a bit.  After researching it more I think I will eventually just have someone who knows what they are doing do it.  This house is such a friggen money pit. 

Offline Zeus

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 02:54:27 PM »
What is this 'travertine?'  :popcorn:

a type of limestone sometimes called marble.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 02:58:07 PM »
a type of limestone sometimes called marble.
Thank You Zeus!  BEG have a professional come in and fix it!

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 11:05:53 PM »
cavegal, I THINK is used to look like this:

But now it is dull and looks like crap. 

*Shut up Wineslob*  :p

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 11:21:52 PM »
I would not refinish it yourself....get a professional. $1000 for a professional is a lot less than it will cost to replace it.

BEG honey, I say this with love.... you need to get out and get yourself a job....you're obsessing on little stuff. You are going to make yourself crazy if you don't find something else to occupy yourself.  :heart:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 11:36:49 PM »
I would not refinish it yourself....get a professional. $1000 for a professional is a lot less than it will cost to replace it.

BEG honey, I say this with love.... you need to get out and get yourself a job....you're obsessing on little stuff. You are going to make yourself crazy if you don't find something else to occupy yourself.  :heart:

To me this is not a little thing.  We paid a lot for this house and it pisses me off that we immediately had to replace the carpet, the wood floors need refinishing (which we knew when we bought it), the travertine needs to be refinished (it seriously looks filthy even when it is just cleaned), the tile in the master bathroom needs to be redone (it is crumbling under our feet), the tile in our daughters bathroom is not level to the point that the toilet is crooked.  Half of the floors in this house are not level.  Then we have the one bathroom that we are in the process of remodeling and thank god we are remodeling it.  The toilet was about ready to fall through the subfloor.  Oh and to top it off we had to repaint the house.    

I am angry about living in this shit stain of a state and I am probably obsessing about the house more than I should but it really pisses me off to think what we paid for this house and all the additional crap that needs to be done.  I can guarantee that YOU would not be happy with the way the kitchen floor looks if you lived here.  

Deb, I really like you but I don't appreciate you telling me that I need to get a job.  I know you meant well but please know that I have ALWAYS been OCD about my house, even when I had a job.  If you look at any of my pictures you will see that there is nothing out of place.  I seriously can't help it, it is who I am.  Imagine being married to me.  
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:03:04 AM by BEG »

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 10:31:25 AM »
Deb, I really like you but I don't appreciate you telling me that I need to get a job.  I know you meant well but please know that I have ALWAYS been OCD about my house, even when I had a job.  If you look at any of my pictures you will see that there is nothing out of place.  I seriously can't help it, it is who I am.  Imagine being married to me. 

I apologize.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 02:01:18 PM »
I'm the same way about my new house, BEG. It's the first and last one I designed from the ground up and I fully intent to splurge to get exactly what I want.  When you're done with yours, you can come back to Texas and help with mine. :-)
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 08:43:21 PM »
I love Travertine marble! 
I bought an imported dining room table from Italy made with Travertine Marble when I lived in Miami.
I also used Travertine when I remodeled one of the bathrooms.  Travertine uses grout to fill in it's filling "defects"....sometimes people don't do it right and that's why you have grout like material overflowing.  I would get a professional to fix it for you....I am sure it's not easy to work with.

In fact, my porcelain tile floors that I have in my house now are supposed to simulate travertine.  Only it's obviously not travertine because of the thicker grout lines.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 11:31:45 PM »
I apologize.

It's ok, perhaps I was a tad over sensitive.   :p

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 11:32:57 PM »
I'm the same way about my new house, BEG. It's the first and last one I designed from the ground up and I fully intent to splurge to get exactly what I want.  When you're done with yours, you can come back to Texas and help with mine. :-)

It's a deal AM.  When I do come back you better throw me a welcome back party!   :-)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 12:02:03 AM »
It's ok, perhaps I was a tad over sensitive.   :p

:heart:

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 11:21:58 PM »
BEG, just tear the house down and start over.   :tongue:
Or glue linoleum on top of the travertine. Something like a 1950's single-wide trailer design.  :fuelfire:
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄