Author Topic: Steyn: Obama's lazy tribute to Daniel Pearl  (Read 1269 times)

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Steyn: Obama's lazy tribute to Daniel Pearl
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:18:11 PM »
"For now, the jihadists seem to have ceased cutting our heads off. Listening to Obama and Eric Holder, perhaps they've figured out there's nothing much up there anyway"

worth reading!! I think Steyn was P O'd.

http://www.ocregister.com/opinion/pearl-249812-daniel-obama.html

excerpt

Barack Obama's remarkable powers of oratory are well known: In support of Chicago's Olympic bid, he flew into Copenhagen to give a heartwarming speech about himself, and they gave the games to Rio. He flew into Boston to support Martha Coakley's bid for the U.S. Senate, and Massachusetts voters gave Ted Kennedy's seat to a Republican. In the first year of his presidency, he gave a gazillion speeches on health care "reform" and drove support for his proposals to basement level, leaving Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid to ram it down the throats of the American people through sheer parliamentary muscle.

Like a lot of guys who've been told they're brilliant one time too often, President Obama gets a little lazy, and doesn't always choose his words with care. And so it was that he came to say a few words about Daniel Pearl, upon signing the "Daniel Pearl Press Freedom Act." Pearl was decapitated on video by jihadist Muslims in Karachi on Feb. 1, 2002. That's how I'd put it. This is what the president of the United States said:

"Obviously, the loss of Daniel Pearl was one of those moments that captured the world's imagination because it reminded us of how valuable a free press is."

Now Obama's off the prompter, when his silver-tongued rhetoric invariably turns to sludge. But he's talking about a dead man here, a guy murdered in public for all the world to see. Furthermore, the deceased's family is standing all around him. And, even for a busy president, it's the work of moments to come up with a sentence that would be respectful, moving and true. Indeed, for Obama, it's the work of seconds, because he has a taxpayer-funded staff sitting around all day with nothing to do but provide him with that sentence.

Instead, he delivered the one above, which in its clumsiness and insipidness is most revealing. First of all, note the passivity: "The loss of Daniel Pearl." He wasn't "lost." He was kidnapped and beheaded. He was murdered on a snuff video. He was specifically targeted, seized as a trophy, a high-value scalp. And the circumstances of his "loss" merit some vigor in the prose. Yet Obama can muster none.

excerpt

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
Re: Steyn: Obama's lazy tribute to Daniel Pearl
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 06:00:45 PM »
Obama has tons of class after all he opened up with a shout out before he addressed the fort Hood massacre.  :mental:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline thundley4

Re: Steyn: Obama's lazy tribute to Daniel Pearl
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 07:18:08 PM »
Obama has tons of class after all he opened up with a shout out before he addressed the fort Hood massacre.  :mental:

This was his shout to his Muslim brethren.   He basically told them that killing a journalist and broadcasting it on the internet, is a good way to get the world's attention.