Author Topic: Amazing cake decorating by Karen Portaleo of Highland Bakery in Atlanta, Georgia  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Alpha Mare

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline debk

I really enjoy the Ace of Cakes on the Food Channel. Also they have the Challenge show, which is often doing cakes....they have height minimums sometimes of 4 FEET!!

Here's the website....http://charmcitycakes.com/ .... for the bakery that is Ace of Cakes.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
I think I just gained 5 pounds looking at all the yummy cakes :naughty:
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline debk

I think I just gained 5 pounds looking at all the yummy cakes :naughty:

I can get you to gain 5 pounds real easy.... :evillaugh:

....http://recipes.pauladeen.com/index.php/recipes/view/gooey_butter_cake/

I made this yesterday afternoon.

I sort of followed the recipe. I used Duncan Hines Yellow Butter Cake mix. If you have some raspberry or strawberry preserves or jam...put a couple of tablespoons in something you can microwave for 30 seconds....(be very careful...it will be very hot!) spread it carefully over the top of the bottom layer. I used raspberry. I also added 12 oz of white chocolate chips to the cream cheese mixture. Baked it for 45 minutes. You can't test it because the center appears to not be done, but it sets up as it cools. I refrigerated it, and it was completely solid today...we had some last night when it was still kind of warm.

This cake is so easy....and wickedly good.... :drool:

I think I'm going to do one for next weekend for a cookout....but I'm going to use chocolate cake mix, put some chopped pecans on top of the bottom layer, and add a large bag of mini semi sweet chocolate chips to it.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
My mom (RIP) used to decorate cakes. She was asked by Norman Wilton*, himself, to start up some cake decorating classes in the Dallas area in the early 70s.  She NEVER used fondant. IMO, those who use fondant are more "wanna-be artists" using cakes as a base instead of a true cake decorator.

Norman Wilton

One of these days, I'll scan the pics of the cakes she made and decorated. For a while, I followed her lead and did some decorating, myself. I did OK, but not as good as what she did. I sure miss her.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
I've done baking and some basic cake decorating working in restaurants.  That fondant stuff is awful.  If you can't trim and decorate a cake without it, you should probably find another job.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

I don't have a clue what fondant is.  All I know is y'all aren't fonda it.

My idea of a decorated cake is the white squrgally line atop a Hostess cupcake.

Offline debk

I don't have a clue what fondant is.  All I know is y'all aren't fonda it.

My idea of a decorated cake is the white squrgally line atop a Hostess cupcake.

:thatsright:

I don't know which is worse.... that you eat Hostess cupcakes or that the white icing is decoration. ewwwww.