Author Topic: 10 Vintage Video Games You Can Play Online  (Read 18162 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
10 Vintage Video Games You Can Play Online
« on: May 20, 2010, 08:39:47 AM »
There’s something about an old video game that does a body good. The 16-color graphics, the 8-bit sound — something about it conjures memories of simpler times, when joysticks seemed larger because our hands were still small, and a dollar seemed like a heck of a lot more money than it does right now.

Allow us to take you on a vintage voyage with a time machine of links, if you will. Here are ten computer and arcade games we all know and love that you can now play online and free of charge. If you’re of a certain age, you probably played these games while waiting for your mom to finish grocery shopping. Or they might have been on your very first video game console. We hope you remember them fondly and enjoy playing them again.

http://mashable.com/2010/05/16/vintage-video-games/

Donkey Kong
King's Quest
Super Mario Bros.
Asteroids
The Legend of Zelda
Missile Command
Pong
Centipede
Duck Hunt
Pac Man
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline JLO

Re: 10 Vintage Video Games You Can Play Online
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 08:59:45 PM »
Wheel of Fortune was my first DOS computer game  :hyper:

http://www.80sdos.com/wheeloffortune.php
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 09:04:28 PM »
I had that game.  You could switch between CGA modes... I always preferred the yellow-red-white version to the cyan-red-white version.  Ahh, obsolete technology.

My first DOS game was King's Quest II.  Took my 12-year-old self almost a year to get through it.  Those were the days.  We used to get under-the-table hints from the dudes at Radio Shack.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline JLO

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 10:36:05 PM »
I had that game.  You could switch between CGA modes... I always preferred the yellow-red-white version to the cyan-red-white version.  Ahh, obsolete technology.

My first DOS game was King's Quest II.  Took my 12-year-old self almost a year to get through it.  Those were the days.  We used to get under-the-table hints from the dudes at Radio Shack.

Me also - I preferred those colors.  That was when lugging a HUGE, HEAVY  portable suitcase of a computer machine home at night was actually backbreaking for me. But it was a start-up, hi-tech company and it was necessary.  It paid off in the end. 

:hi5:
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline true_blood

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 05:00:29 PM »
DONKEY KONG! :cheersmate:

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 05:55:52 PM »
A Flash version of Adventure for the Atari 2600.  The greatest video game system EVER!
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 03:55:17 PM »
Wheel of Fortune was my first DOS computer game  :hyper:

http://www.80sdos.com/wheeloffortune.php

LOL, I had that game. When I went to XP, many of my games wouldn't play. They went in the trash. The first ever PC game I played was in BASIC. It was Star Trek. I used to rewrite the code to make it impossible to win or impossibly easy to win. That was on an old 1 MHz processor with 65K RAM and a tape drive input.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:57:20 PM by Thor »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jason

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »
Great links!

By the way, been lurking a while.  Love the site!

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 09:14:45 PM »
Great links!

By the way, been lurking a while.  Love the site!
Welcome!  Stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum and meet the welcome wagon!
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Gunny

• Semper Fi
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 12:05:20 PM »
I remember a lot of those games on the list.  Back in the day if I was in a bar and saw Donkey Kong or Dig Dug I would always throw a quarter in them.  Enjoyed those two. 

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death" - Sun Tzu