Author Topic: Roasted butternut squash  (Read 12659 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Roasted butternut squash
« on: May 13, 2010, 01:15:59 AM »
I had the best butternut squash for dinner.  It's really easy and tastes great.  Mix everything together in a greased baking dish and roast at 350º until the bacon is crispy and the squash is well roasted.

1 squash, cubed
4 slices of bacon, cut into thin pieces
1/2 cup of finely-diced onion
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon maple syrup
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:31:26 AM by Chris »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Roasted butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 07:56:41 AM »
I had the best butternut squash for dinner.  It's really easy and tastes great.  Mix everything together in a greased baking dish and roast at 350º until the bacon is crispy and the squash is well roasted.

1 squash, cubed
4 slices of bacon, cut into thin pieces
1/2 cup of finely-diced onion
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon maple syrup

Oh yeah.  I am so trying that.  Thanks!  Would that be about 30-40 min?
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 09:45:21 AM »
Probably.  Might be a little longer.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 10:38:58 AM »
That looks really good.
Another squash reciepe that my wife makes:

Ingredients
1 large butternut squash, about 3 pounds, halved, seeds removed
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
1 large onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, plus 12 whole leaves
1 teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram
6 cups light chicken stock or broth
1 teaspoon cider vinegar or lemon juice
1/2 cup heavy cream, or more to taste
2 tablespoons butter
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Lightly coat the squash halves with 1 teaspoon of the vegetable oil. Season the inside with salt and pepper and place cut-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until very tender, about 45 minutes. When the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and reserve. Discard the peel.

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the remaining vegetable oil and, when hot but not smoking, add the sausage. Cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until the onions wilted and starting to caramelize, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, sage and marjoram, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the cooked squash and chicken stock, stir well to combine, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor or blender, puree the soup. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean saucepan. Add the cider vinegar and stir to combine. Add the cream and adjust seasoning, to taste.

In a small saute pan, cook the butter over medium-high heat until it begins to turn brown around the edges. Add the whole sage leaves and cook until crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the leaves to paper towels to drain.

Serve the soup in bowls, garnished with the crispy sage leaves.

from Emeril Lagasse.

With french bread it's unbelieveably good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/butternut-squash-and-italian-sausage-soup-recipe/index.html
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:54:06 PM »
Any other recipes for butternut squash?  Or pumpkin?  I have one of both just sitting, staring at me, and I am at a loss.  I like savory. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:31:32 AM »
All I got is the one I posted, but you can use a couple of packages of Maple flavored sausage (breakfast style) instead of the Italian.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.