Author Topic: Obama admin threatens to bring down Paki government  (Read 1763 times)

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Obama admin threatens to bring down Paki government
« on: May 08, 2010, 04:34:07 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/world/asia/09pstan.html?hp

excerpt...

U.S. Urges Swift Action in Pakistan After Failed BombingBy JANE PERLEZ
Published: May 8, 2010

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — The Obama administration has delivered new and stiff warnings to Pakistan after the failed Times Square car bombing that it must urgently move against the nexus of Islamic militancy in the country’s lawless tribal regions, American and Pakistani officials said.

The American military commander in Afghanistan, Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, met with the Pakistani military chief, Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, at his headquarters here on Friday and urged Pakistan to move more quickly in beginning a military offensive against the Pakistani Taliban and Al Qaeda in North Waziristan, Americans and Pakistanis familiar with the visit said. The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the delicacy of continuing diplomatic efforts here.

The Pakistani-American man who admitted to the Times Square attack, Faisal Shahzad, 30, told American investigators that he had received training in North Waziristan, the main base for the Pakistani Taliban, Al Qaeda and other militant groups.

The new pressure from Washington was characterized by both the Pakistani and American officials as a sharp turnaround from the relatively polite encouragement adopted by the Obama administration in recent months. And it comes amid increasing debate within the administration about how to expand the American military’s influence — and even a boots-on-the-ground presence — on Pakistani soil.

Though the bombing in Times Square failed, Mr. Shahzad’s ability to move back and forth between the United States and Pakistan has heightened fears in the Obama administration that another attempt at a terrorist attack could succeed.

“We are saying, ‘Sorry, if there is a successful attack, we will have to act’ ” within Pakistan, one of the American officials said.

That issue has been a source of growing tension between the countries. Pakistani officials, already alarmed by the increase in American drone aircraft attacks against militants in northwestern Pakistan, have been extremely sensitive about any hint that American ground troops could become involved in the fight. And attempts by the United States to increase the presence of Special Operations forces there even in an advisory or training role have been met with great resistance by the Pakistanis.

excerpt...

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: Obama admin threatens to bring down Paki government
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 04:35:45 PM »
Any large scale attack by the US into Pakistan will bring down the government and the radicals will take over. The islamic extremists would love to take over Pakistan, it has nukes, and this admin might help them get their hands on them.

This will encourage the terrorists to conduct more attacks in the US.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 04:38:49 PM »
Does ANYONE believe Obama would actually order the military do anything?    anyone?   

Riiight.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 04:54:01 PM »
Does ANYONE believe Obama would actually order the military do anything?    anyone?   

Riiight.

Does anyone actually believe Obama anymore?? I mean the ones who matter anyway!

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 05:02:20 PM »
Pakistan would become a terrorist nuclear state.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »
Some pundits have wondered if Lord Zero isn't trying to bring about a change in the government in Israel, also.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 05:36:31 PM »
Some pundits have wondered if Lord Zero isn't trying to bring about a change in the government in Israel, also.
Oh yes he is..Not good change either!

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 07:00:27 PM »
Does anyone actually believe Obama anymore?? I mean the ones who matter anyway!

I started early, I haven't believed a word out of his mouth ever.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.