Author Topic: The 27th Day - Cold War science fiction film  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Golem

• Curmudgeon
The 27th Day - Cold War science fiction film
« on: May 02, 2010, 07:38:38 PM »
The 27th Day is a 1957 Cold War science fiction B-movie. However, don’t let the B-movie label turn you off. I think it’s quite good. It features an intelligent script and good acting.

It's difficult to find it on Region 1 DVD. However, it has recently been uploaded to YouTube. I don’t know how long it will be there before it gets yanked, so you may wish to download it.

The screenplay is by John Mantley, who adapted it from his novel.

The director is William Asher, who has quite a resume in both movies and TV.

It stars Gene Barry.

The actor with the great voice who plays the alien is Arnold Moss. He played Kodos the Executioner in the Star Trek: TOS episode, The Conscience of the King. Another good voice actor, Paul Frees, makes a brief appearance as the American TV newscaster. This is a rare onscreen role for him. He voiced the unseen John Beresford Tipton, in the 1955-1960 TV series, The Millionaire.

The movie been uploaded to YouTube in eight parts. It runs about 75 minutes:

IMDb entry (contains spoilers)

Wikipedia entry (contains spoilers)

The synopsis, adapted from IMDb:

Five individuals from the USA, the USSR, Red China, England, and West Germany, suddenly find themselves on an alien spacecraft. An alien gives each a container holding capsules. No power on earth can open a given container except a mental command from the person to whom it is given. Each person has been provided with the power of life and death. Any of these individuals has the capability to instantaneously launch the capsules to whatever coordinates he/she chooses, and each capsule will then eradicate all human life within a 1,500-mile radius of its designated location.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: The 27th Day - Cold War science fiction film
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »
Was that you at Free Republic too??

Because I already downloaded all 8 parts.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:21:03 PM »
I remember seeing it on TV on a local independent channel's weekly 'Science Fiction Theater' movie feature when I was a kid; I am still kind of a sucker for old B&W SF movies.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 04:31:43 PM »
I remember seeing it on TV on a local independent channel's weekly 'Science Fiction Theater' movie feature when I was a kid; I am still kind of a sucker for old B&W SF movies.

Check out this site for old movies that are in the public domain.  http://www.publicdomaintorrents.com/  You would need a bit torrent client though.