Author Topic: Best Barbecue  (Read 13315 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Best Barbecue
« on: May 02, 2010, 01:01:12 PM »
What is the best barbecue by region and/or restaurant you have eaten?

Texas barbecue all the way!  :evillaugh: :-)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 01:04:55 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Best Barbecue
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 03:08:51 PM »
Arthur Bryant's......KCMO.......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 03:39:24 PM »
Sonny Bryan's-Inwood location
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 04:18:15 PM »
Pappa's Barbecue here in Houston is very very very good.   Loaded baked potatoes with meat are to die for.
http://pappasbbq.com/home/

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 06:38:16 PM »
I don't get out much.

Try brisket. Wrap it up in foil with some chopped onions, carrots and potatoes and put it in a pan for hours....

aaaaaaawwwwwwwwmmmmmmmmmmm mmm

Or go to the corner of Carl and Grauwyler in Irving TX, the Mexican meat market there and get some seasoned "beef" fajitas. Just grill them... umm.. very very good.... Just don't ask too many details about the "beef" okay?

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 07:09:33 PM »
AnJacs....Gulfport, MS.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 08:44:43 PM »
Cripple Creek BBQ, Athens, TX.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 09:05:17 PM »
Cripple Creek BBQ, Athens, TX.

Just for a day they should change their name to Crippled Greek BBQ

Offline Oriole Fan

• Player Hater
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 06:32:38 AM »
Chopped pork North Carolina style is my favorite.

When I feel like ribs and I'm in the area I like Dreamland in Tuscaloosa or Birmingham.

Sometimes famous places are dissapointing, but Corky's in Memphis had good ribs as well. Well worth the hype.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:41:40 AM by Oriole Fan »

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 07:06:33 AM »
Arthur Bryant's......KCMO.......

doc

Not Jack Stack?  BTW--if you're ever back there, get the cheesy corn bake...  :drool:
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 09:08:18 AM »
I don't get out much.

Try brisket. Wrap it up in foil with some chopped onions, carrots and potatoes and put it in a pan for hours....

aaaaaaawwwwwwwwmmmmmmmmmmm mmm

Or go to the corner of Carl and Grauwyler in Irving TX, the Mexican meat market there and get some seasoned "beef" fajitas. Just grill them... umm.. very very good.... Just don't ask too many details about the "beef" okay?

THAT'S NOT "BBQ" !!! The best BBQ I ever had was from a trailer located at the intersection of Hwy 82 and I-35. That was many years ago (circa 1980). That intersection has grown as has Gainesville, TX. Any more, I have to make my own BBQ because the other places just can't make it as well as I can. With my smoker, I can cook up some pretty tasty brisket.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 09:14:23 AM »
THAT'S NOT "BBQ" !!! The best BBQ I ever had was from a trailer located at the intersection of Hwy 82 and I-35. That was many years ago (circa 1980). That intersection has grown as has Gainesville, TX. Any more, I have to make my own BBQ because the other places just can't make it as well as I can. With my smoker, I can cook up some pretty tasty brisket.

The best BBQ around here comes from a couple of trailers that set up in the corners of parking lots.  Both use what look like 50 gal. drums that have been cut in half to smoke the meat.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 09:17:04 AM »
Any more, I have to make my own BBQ because the other places just can't make it as well as I can. With my smoker, I can cook up some pretty tasty brisket.

Brisket. I love brisket. My dad use to cook them in the oven for hours and hours, it was torture. Had to get those big briskets with the fat, the fat is important. If you cook it just right, even the fat will taste good. Hopefully connected to meat of course.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 09:17:12 AM »
The smoked prime rib at Cooper's in Llano is also very good.

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 11:09:45 AM »
Not Jack Stack?  BTW--if you're ever back there, get the cheesy corn bake...  :drool:

Jack Stack is good.......upscale......and you are correct the cheesy corn bake is great, as are their baked beans.  But for "down home" BBQ, Arthur Bryant's is the place to go.....it is far from fancy, and the neighborhood is so bad that they actually have an armed guard patrolling the parking lot, but their ribs and "burnt ends" are to die for......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 04:31:39 PM »
Like Thor, I love mine. I use a modified version of Bubbas Bunch rub on Baby Back Ribs. They then get mopped with Jack Daniels, Bullseye, or KC Masterpiece with some rub mixed in.
The only restaurant I just coulden't beat was a place in Castroville Ca. called Bings Diner. "I'm Die!" ribs.  :drool:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 04:33:50 PM »
Like Thor, I love mine. I use a modified version of Bubbas Bunch rub on Baby Back Ribs. They then get mopped with Jack Daniels, Bullseye, or KC Masterpiece with some rub mixed in.
The only restaurant I just coulden't beat was a place in Castroville Ca. called Bings Diner. "I'm Die!" ribs.  :drool:

Try some OBQ rub!!

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 04:35:48 PM »

http://www.obiecue.com/

Its some good stuff. We use the "Sweet Rub".

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 07:28:04 PM »
Jack Stack is good.......upscale......and you are correct the cheesy corn bake is great, as are their baked beans.  But for "down home" BBQ, Arthur Bryant's is the place to go.....it is far from fancy, and the neighborhood is so bad that they actually have an armed guard patrolling the parking lot, but their ribs and "burnt ends" are to die for......

doc

Okay, I'll go with that.  I liked both of them (having only been to KC twice) and some others.  Wreaked pure havoc on my blood sugar and cholesterol, but if ya gotta go....

That being said, since I can't just hop on a plane and get that, I make my own ribs.  Dry rub, slow roasted, then wet sauce for the last 40 minutes or so.  More of a Carolina type sauce (sweet/hot) but damned if I don't make my co-workers jealous when I have them at lunch--and it doesn't matter what kind of ribs I use, the slow roasting guarantees there won't be any meat whatsoever left on those bones.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 07:28:58 PM »

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 07:40:24 PM »
If you are ever in the OKC metro, this place has the best brisket in the city (outside of my backyard). Even though, they took corn and fried pickles off the menu...bastards.

http://www.pigstands.com/

"Elmer's" up in Tulsa is good too.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:56:14 AM by Odin's Hand »

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 09:12:39 AM »
I've yet to meet a Yankee that can do GOOD BBQ..........   :fuelfire:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »
I've yet to meet a Yankee that can do GOOD BBQ..........   :fuelfire:

Yo.

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 11:25:18 AM »

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 02:36:03 PM »
Try some OBQ rub!!

Looks good. I do prefer to make my own (the "Bunch" rub) rather than buy it outright. That way I can adjust the paprika, sugars, or the oregano, which can drastically change the final product. It's amazing just how much oregano can change the rub.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.