Author Topic: Gay Couples Say Civil Unions Aren’t Enough  (Read 1938 times)

Offline VivisMom

Gay Couples Say Civil Unions Aren’t Enough
« on: March 17, 2008, 12:16:57 PM »
Is today Gay Day or something over there?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3022481

JackBeck  (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-17-08 11:49 AM
Original message
 Advertisements [?]Edited on Mon Mar-17-08 11:50 AM by JackBeck
By ALISON LEIGH COWAN
Published: March 17, 2008

Eager to celebrate their partnership, Tracy and Katy Weber Tierney were among the first in line when Connecticut created civil unions three years ago as a way to formalize same-sex relationships without using the word “marriage.”

Christopher Capozziello for The New York Times
Brad Eaton, left, and Michael Limone. In deciding to tell an employer he was in a civil union, Mr. Limone said, “I’m sitting across from this person and now I’ve got to come out to this person.”
But when Tracy was giving birth to their son, Jake, five months ago, a hospital employee inquired whether she was “married, single, divorced or widowed.”

“I’m in a civil union,” she replied. When the employee checked “single,” Tracy protested. “I’m actually more married than single,” she said, leaving the employee flustered about how to proceed.

(snip)

Civil unions require constant “haggling, litigation and explanation,” said Evan Wolfson, the founder of a New York-based advocacy group called Freedom to Marry. Being married, he said, means “you don’t have to fumble for documents. You don’t have to hire an attorney, and you don’t have to consult a dictionary. You’re married. You know what it means, and everyone else knows what it means.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/17/nyregion/17samesex.ht...

I recently went through something similar at the doctors office. I left my marital status blank since there wasn't any box to check for "Domestic Partner" or "Civil Union". When this was questioned by receptionist, I explained that none of them applied to me. Domestic partnership laws will be 10 years old this July. These are but some of the more mundane examples of why there needs to be marriage equality, and not separate classes created to define an adult relationship.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
Re: Gay Couples Say Civil Unions Aren’t Enough
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 12:20:13 PM »
Is today Gay Day or something over there?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3022481

JackBeck  (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-17-08 11:49 AM
Original message
 Advertisements [?]Edited on Mon Mar-17-08 11:50 AM by JackBeck
By ALISON LEIGH COWAN
Published: March 17, 2008

Eager to celebrate their partnership, Tracy and Katy Weber Tierney were among the first in line when Connecticut created civil unions three years ago as a way to formalize same-sex relationships without using the word “marriage.”

Christopher Capozziello for The New York Times
Brad Eaton, left, and Michael Limone. In deciding to tell an employer he was in a civil union, Mr. Limone said, “I’m sitting across from this person and now I’ve got to come out to this person.”
But when Tracy was giving birth to their son, Jake, five months ago, a hospital employee inquired whether she was “married, single, divorced or widowed.”

“I’m in a civil union,” she replied. When the employee checked “single,” Tracy protested. “I’m actually more married than single,” she said, leaving the employee flustered about how to proceed.

(snip)

Civil unions require constant “haggling, litigation and explanation,” said Evan Wolfson, the founder of a New York-based advocacy group called Freedom to Marry. Being married, he said, means “you don’t have to fumble for documents. You don’t have to hire an attorney, and you don’t have to consult a dictionary. You’re married. You know what it means, and everyone else knows what it means.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/17/nyregion/17samesex.ht...

I recently went through something similar at the doctors office. I left my marital status blank since there wasn't any box to check for "Domestic Partner" or "Civil Union". When this was questioned by receptionist, I explained that none of them applied to me. Domestic partnership laws will be 10 years old this July. These are but some of the more mundane examples of why there needs to be marriage equality, and not separate classes created to define an adult relationship.

Its DU....Everyday is gay day VM :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 12:41:04 PM »
Oh FFS! If the state recognizes your "union", then you're "married" when it comes time to fill out forms. I'm in a "civil union" too because my marriage license was issued by the state. I'm also "married" because I had a ceremony performed by a minister. States that reconize civil unions between same sex couples did so precisely for this reason! So when you're filling out forms, applying for benefits, etc..you can be called married. Ugh.

This is just more gay agenda pushing.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 12:43:57 PM »
Oh FFS! If the state recognizes your "union", then you're "married" when it comes time to fill out forms. I'm in a "civil union" too because my marriage license was issued by the state. I'm also "married" because I had a ceremony performed by a minister. States that reconize civil unions between same sex couples did so precisely for this reason! So when you're filling out forms, applying for benefits, etc..you can be called married. Ugh.

Most paperwork of this type also requires you to pick male or female.  I'm surprised they're not demanding other designations as well.   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 12:57:37 PM »
^didn't California toy with that?

Spain did this -
That's when the Spanish government announced a ministerial order that new births would have to be registered at the State Civil Registries in the Family Book under the headings of Parent (progenitor) A, and Parent (progenitor) B.

In other words, the terms "Father" and "Mother" were to be no longer used.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline lastparker

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »
Some people just can't help but invite the aggravation (ie: Attention Whore).

When my kids were born, they asked, I answered "married", they checked the box and left.  Nobody asked to see "proof".
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 01:54:24 PM »
Yeah Parker, nothing will be good enough for them, until they have contaminated the sanctity of marriage  :jerkit:

It would be like us changing what is in tofu by putting meat in it.

BTW, I laughed hysterically at your signature  :lmao:
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 02:07:40 PM »

Agreed.  If you're in a civil union when someone asks say "married."  They're making things more difficult for themselves. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 04:01:14 PM »
^It's all about making the rest of the world accept them. They don't understand the true meaning of the word "tolerance". They want approval and they want the rest of us to smile and say it's normal.