Author Topic: "God is still speaking"  (Read 2294 times)

Offline jinxmchue

"God is still speaking"
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:28:42 PM »
Can anyone tell me why it is that the people who use that phrase almost universally claim that God is telling them things 100% contrary to what the Bible says?

"God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind."

If God obviously condemned something before, why would anyone think it's acceptable now?  Did God lie or change His mind?  "Oops!  Sorry, everyone!  I was just kidding about that!"

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: "God is still speaking"
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 11:42:20 AM »
That one went screaming over my head jinx......perhaps an example might clarify the question?

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 12:43:52 PM »
I think I understand what Jinx is saying.....

If I understand correctly......his question is why ...when the Bible clearly states something is wrong - a sin - how things that were a sin, can now be perceived as not a sin....and people justify it by saying "God is still speaking"...

Did I get that right?

I guess it would be applicable to things like divorce, homosexuality, disrespect to parents/family, adultery.....basically anything related to the 10 Commandments that are no longer followed as strictly as in the past?
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »
I think I understand what Jinx is saying.....

If I understand correctly......his question is why ...when the Bible clearly states something is wrong - a sin - how things that were a sin, can now be perceived as not a sin....and people justify it by saying "God is still speaking"...

Did I get that right?

I guess it would be applicable to things like divorce, homosexuality, disrespect to parents/family, adultery.....basically anything related to the 10 Commandments that are no longer followed as strictly as in the past?

As an aside, divorce has been around since Old Testament times, so I'll go along with the rest of them, but there is Biblical precedent for divorce.......

That said, and assuming your example to be a correct illustration of jinx's question......the simple answer is "liberalism".....it infects religion just as much as it does "politics".....

It would seem that the UCC, UMC, and a number of others have become more interested in making members "feel good" about themselves, than they are about the scriptural basis of the faith......when they say ....."God is still speaking....." in that regard, I'm assuming that to mean that they are "hearing" God tell them that essentially.......he has changed his mind, and these things are now OK with him.........when I see it come down from the mountain carved in stone.....I'll believe it......

I did an entire thread on this subject in the "Christian Fellowship" forum, that turned (unfortunately) into a minor disaster, but the premise remains that liberals want their "moral relativeism" to become a part of Christianity, as well as government.....rotting it away from the inside, like a cancer.......its really pretty straightforward.....

BTW, the link to the old discussion is here:

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,42336.0.html

doc
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 03:40:51 PM by TVDOC »

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 07:48:13 PM »
As an aside, divorce has been around since Old Testament times, so I'll go along with the rest of them, but there is Biblical precedent for divorce.......

That said, and assuming your example to be a correct illustration of jinx's question......the simple answer is "liberalism".....it infects religion just as much as it does "politics".....

It would seem that the UCC, UMC, and a number of others have become more interested in making members "feel good" about themselves, than they are about the scriptural basis of the faith......when they say ....."God is still speaking....." in that regard, I'm assuming that to mean that they are "hearing" God tell them that essentially.......he has changed his mind, and these things are now OK with him.........when I see it come down from the mountain carved in stone.....I'll believe it......

I did an entire thread on this subject in the "Christian Fellowship" forum, that turned (unfortunately) into a minor disaster, but the premise remains that liberals want their "moral relativeism" to become a part of Christianity, as well as government.....rotting it away from the inside, like a cancer.......its really pretty straightforward.....

BTW, the link to the old discussion is here:

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,42336.0.html

doc

Since I participated in that "disaster" with you....I'm passing on that discussion too.  :-)

My reference to divorce was not that it was new....but that the attitudes toward not only those who have become divorced and reasons for divorce....but that it has become so easy to obtain. Basically, all a couple has to do is decide they don't want to be married anymore, get the filing papers off the internet, fill them out, file them with the court, and poof! 30 days later it's over.

Having been divorced for 18 years...(wow, doesn't seem possible it's been that long!) ....I can remember being the "first" in the neighborhood to get divorced and how I was treated....I'm glad attitudes have changed.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.