Author Topic: I'm a single guy....I don't go grocery shopping often....But I went today....  (Read 2358 times)

Offline VivisMom

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3021051

marmar  (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-17-08 01:46 AM
Original message
I'm a single guy....I don't go grocery shopping often....But I went today.... 
 Advertisements [?]..... OUCH!

I spent $30 today, which in the grand scheme of things isn't much, but I compared it to a receipt from a few weeks ago for the EXACT same roster of items. That receipt totaled $23.

EVERYTHING. And I mean everything was noticeably higher, except for the coffee creamer 'cause I bought the cheaper store brand rather than CoffeeMate this time. Soy milk, veggies, fruit, bread, ..... even canned tuna - YIKES!

Those of you who have to buy for families must really be feeling it.

:whatever:

kevinbgoode (1000+ posts)      Mon Mar-17-08 01:56 AM
Response to Original message
7. Food shopping has become a creative art. . .
 I'm a very busy graduate student, but I watch ever sale, sometimes clip coupons, and I eat according to what is on sale and stock up if I have any extra money. For example, that can of tuna you are talking about was on sale a month ago. . .$1 a can for Star Kist solid white tuna - a major discount. I bought around 8 cans.

The bad part is that I'm starting to eat foods which I had given up (higher sodium or fat) because they are just simply cheaper and have some nutritional value beyond the bad stuff. But fruit and veggies - through the roof! I paid nearly three dollars for a very small package of fresh pineapple chunks. I need to drink cranberry juice (which I hate) so I try to stock up when that is on sale as well. ..

At any rate, it is pretty awful. I do have one nice rump roast (marked down to $2.99/lb) that I'm saving for a special meal.

When I want to get more balance, I'm eating out more - buffets, which I usually don't like, have enough variety that I can get things I can't afford to buy for meals at home alone. But that isn't even a good option for families - paying for four at even an inexpensive Golden Corral is a pretty shocking dinner tab.

TwoSparkles  (1000+ posts)       Mon Mar-17-08 01:57 AM
9. Yes, it is totally outrageous...
 I have noticed prices steadily climbing in the past six months.

There are certain items in our store that have risen 100 percent. The price of basics,
such as eggs, milk, bread, fruit, veggies--are through the roof.

I pay close attention to prices, because I belong to a coupon club and we're kinda
nutty about it. We also pay attention packaging portions--and that's another way
the consumer is being screwed. Cereal boxes are getting smaller, as is other
packaging. Toilet paper and paper towels are shrinking as well. So, in addition
to prices skyrocketing--you're getting less for those higher prices, in many cases.

Spiffarino  (1000+ posts)      Mon Mar-17-08 02:49 AM
19. I bought enough for two nights' dinner for my family
 ...plus some bleach, cat food and a couple small items: $126.00

My wife and I work full-time. I can't imagine what it must be like for somebody who lost a job or is underemployed. Bush has turned America into yet another of his failed ventures, but neither Daddy nor the Saudis will have to bail him out this time because the rich aren't being hurt, only the middle and poorer classes.

If Bush and Cheney are ever convicted of any of their myriad crimes, their punishment should be to bring food and water to the tent cities that are springing up because of their callousness and stupidity.

WTF are you having for dinner? Standing rib roast? We can eat for a week on $126.

The DUmmies should invest in a membership to costco. 1 gallon of milk was 2.79 on Friday.

Offline jtyangel

I'm not going to roll my eyes since I have seen some price increases, but I bet this one did not check to see if something was on sale last week that wasn't this week. Single guy...well, I'm not counting on his finesse when it comes to discounts from week to week or even having any idea what the regular price is.

Anyway, for the higher prices, I usually find something on sale to offset it. Meats...I stock up a little when they are on sale and shop the marked down stuff. Fruit and veggies, just go with what's in season save for a few must haves. I've also taken to shopping at Aldi's for certain basics that are generally cheaper.

However, what he is saying is accurate. There has been a modest jump in some items. However, being that I do not have BDS, I'm not going to take it to the next step most DUers probably will. :-)

Offline VivisMom

Oh yeah, I've seen prices jump as well. However, I'm betting this DUmmie shops at Whole Foods, which means he's paying through the nose. I'll also bet he bought all organic produce, which makes his tab even higher.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
I get a bag of boneless skinless breast from thr chicken farm for 24.58. the fewest breast yet was 14..............damn these must have been the Dolly Parton chicks. As a singleman I spend about $65-125/week on groceries. I eat well, yet I also pay attention to sales. Eat lots of seafood, pork and chicken

What are these primitives doing eating tuna, last I checked they aren't listed as a sustainable fishery
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline LadyLiberty

Oh yeah, I've seen prices jump as well. However, I'm betting this DUmmie shops at Whole Foods, which means he's paying through the nose. I'll also bet he bought all organic produce, which makes his tab even higher.

:rotf: :rotf: Your thinking is like mine...they shop at Whole Foods  :rotf: :rotf:

I also got a kick out of your response to the idiot who said they spent $126 to cook 2 nights dinner  :rotf: I got all the things I need to make my Easter dinner (spiral ham and all the other things I get to make all the SAME things), and probably spent about half of what that moron spent...and duh, that's a holiday dinner with a $25 or so slab of meat  :lmao:

What slays me about this, is they are acting like this, but gumdrops grow on trees and are free for all when a Dem is in office and raises taxes. That hurts *my* wallet.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline LadyLiberty

What are these primitives doing eating tuna, last I checked they aren't listed as a sustainable fishery

But didn't you hear the despair in the one DUmmie's post where they say they are now resorting to eating (lowly) foods that they usually don't eat (things with higher fat and more preservatives, or whatever). Come ON CH, they are barely surviving in this * economy  :-)
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline VivisMom

:rotf: :rotf: Your thinking is like mine...they shop at Whole Foods  :rotf: :rotf:

I also got a kick out of your response to the idiot who said they spent $126 to cook 2 nights dinner  :rotf: I got all the things I need to make my Easter dinner (spiral ham and all the other things I get to make all the SAME things), and probably spent about half of what that moron spent...and duh, that's a holiday dinner with a $25 or so slab of meat  :lmao:

What slays me about this, is they are acting like this, but gumdrops grow on trees and are free for all when a Dem is in office and raises taxes. That hurts *my* wallet.

I think we're going to my aunt's house for Easter, so I'm off the hook for that.  :-)

But seriously? $126 for two nights? They have to be eating some huge honkin' steaks, or feeding a small army. I'm not a gourmet cook, but we can eat pretty cheaply, so that $126 would last us a week. And I even buy the leanest ground meat I can find, which isn't cheap either. The most expensive thing I buy at the grocery store is formula ($25 a can, or $9 a quart for the liquid) and I try to use coupons AND I try and buy it at Wegmans, where it's cheapest. If I don't count baby food/formula, I don't think I have spent more than $150 for a week of groceries.

I swear to you, Costco. I bought something like 2 pounds of salmon for $18. That's dinner for two nights for two adults. They have 5+ lbs of frozen boneless chicken breasts for like, $7. Milk is $2.79 a gallon. 2 loaves of bread for like $5. These DUmmies are either shopping at Whole Foods, buying all organic (out of season!) produce, or feeding their entire town.

Offline Flame

I'll admit, I've noticed prices rising on some stuff, and I've had to make different choices of some of my purchases, but I want to know what the hell the guy was buying for 2 days worth of food for 126 bucks!

I go do a "big" shop very couple weeks, and spend between 250 and 300 bucks.  That basically feeds the 5 of us, plus all the critters for 2+ weeks, with an extra trip for milk or whatever in between.

Offline lastparker

Hey DUmmies!  Your prices are going to go up noticeably every time minimum wage goes up.

What?  You thought the store owners were going to absorb that increase?

:rotf:

Our marketing person works a second job delivering pizza for Dominos (and has never one blamed the BFEE for the fact that she has to work 2 jobs) and she explained to me in great detail how all the employees were notified that there would be no raises in the forseeable future because of the minimum wage increase.

Who is that you're helping again, DUmmies?
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
^yeah that! Rising minimum wages and increased fuel costs on top of biofuels are all to blame.

I thought Pelosi was going to make it rain lollipops......
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
We eat very healthy, including tons of fresh fruit and veggies, lean cuts of beef, boneless/skinless chicken breast, deli lunch meats, organic yogurt, fat free Coffee Mate (because the off brands suck), etc. Granted I don't buy eggs and don't always have to buy chicken but I like the individually frozen packages of chicken breasts and never buy eggs but my weekly bill on Saturday was $79.00. I just don't get how they can spend so much and get so little.

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LadyLiberty

We eat very healthy, including tons of fresh fruit and veggies, lean cuts of beef, boneless/skinless chicken breast, deli lunch meats, organic yogurt, fat free Coffee Mate (because the off brands suck), etc. Granted I don't buy eggs and don't always have to buy chicken but I like the individually frozen packages of chicken breasts and never buy eggs but my weekly bill on Saturday was $79.00. I just don't get how they can spend so much and get so little.

Cindie

Blue state liberals singing the blues.

Barack Obama

Offline Miss Mia

I gotta know what he spent $126 on.  That much could feed me for two weeks probably. 

I notice some things going up in price, but since I'm shopping for one it's not too bad.  I eat a lot of apples, at least 1 a day.  I find that they're usually on sale, if not this week then next, so I buy extra. 

I also don't always by name brand things.  I needed new facial wash, the name brand is $12 (but it lasts for 9 months) but the store brand with the exact same ingredients was $5.  I  bought the store brand.  *shrug* 

I do splurge on things like, organic milk and free range eggs, but overall I don't eat much of those so I'm willing to spend a little more on them. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."