Author Topic: What the heck?  (Read 3626 times)

Offline ardentconservative

• Just Off Probation
What the heck?
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:50:43 PM »
Ok, guys, help me.  I like this site and would like to post more here but I have a problem that is driving me crazy. 

When I try to respond to a thread, if I type less than the Reply box will hold everything is ok.  But if my response is longer than the Reply box then the text starts to hid below the text box and I can't see what I am typing.  Everytime I type a letter the text that I am typing momentarily appears and then drops below the bottom of the text box. I don't have this problem if I start a thread, only when I try to respond to a thread alread started, or a reply already posted in the thread.

As you can understand it is hard to type, and correct errors, when you can't see what you are typing.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: What the heck?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:59:46 PM »
Have you tried using another web browser?  You're not the only person here that's reported that problem.  I wonder if there's a conflict with the board software and the version of Internet Explorer being used.  I think the latest version of IE is 8.0.something.  I use multiple browsers (IE, Firefox) and have not seen this issue first-hand.  See if you can upgrade to the newest version of whatever browser you're using or try to get IE to run in Compatibility Mode (the little green sheet of ripped paper to the right of the address bar).
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:41:45 PM »
What I wouldn't give for Vesta to have that problem with long posts.  :lmao:

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:24:10 PM »
I have a similar problem with Facebook. The text is there, but I can't read it.  Usually when that happens, Facebook won't post, either. I don't usually type replies long enough to escape the text box. I DO know that the forum seems a lot faster with Chrome (browser) I hate IE, so I don't use it except when absolutely necessary.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 09:27:27 AM »
Have you tried using another web browser?  You're not the only person here that's reported that problem.  I wonder if there's a conflict with the board software and the version of Internet Explorer being used.  I think the latest version of IE is 8.0.something.  I use multiple browsers (IE, Firefox) and have not seen this issue first-hand.  See if you can upgrade to the newest version of whatever browser you're using or try to get IE to run in Compatibility Mode (the little green sheet of ripped paper to the right of the address bar).

Chris, already running IE 8, oh well, the only thing I can find on my computer that I could guess might cause the problem is I am running Vista, SP1.  But when I try to download SP2, either through automatic updates, or otherwise, I keep getting a message that download failed.   Boy, everytime I think I have learned something about computers they throw me a wicked curve ball.   :banghead: :banghead:

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 09:29:33 AM »
<<<I don't usually type replies long enough to escape the text box.>>>

Me either Thor, but sometimes the response just takes more that the text box has space for.  I usually try to keep my responses short, but sometimes can't.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 12:17:02 PM »
I have that problem too. Maybe I should use another browser since I have 4 of them. lol.

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:53:02 PM »
I have that problem too. Maybe I should use another browser since I have 4 of them. lol.

Well, FGL, I am not crazy about IE especially with Vista, which I hate.  IE, in my experience locks up to much, but I have not found another browzer that I like. 

Having said that, I have only tried Firefox and didn't like that one either, even less than IE.  A friend of mine on another forum talked me into trying Firefox because of the lockup problem, but, as I said, I didn't like Firefox so I unistalled it.

Other than Firefox, anyone want to make a suggestion.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 12:54:25 PM »
I have IE, Firefox, Opera and Chrome.

They all seem very similar to me.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 01:08:51 PM »
I have IE, Firefox, Opera and Chrome.

They all seem very similar to me.

I went and opened Opera. I got a Windows Defender warning that some features have been blocked! Maybe it allows websites to track my movements online? I dunno. Anyways, I typed a lot of crap about Xultar into a text box and it scrolled normal. yay.

Although one of the negatives is that it does auto-spell check, Meaning words like DUmmie and DU names are underlined red. Yes, I said a negative.  :tongue: