Author Topic: $1M Obama Earmark Went to Hospital That Employs Michelle  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
$1M Obama Earmark Went to Hospital That Employs Michelle
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:41:37 PM »

I have noted this HUGE raise that Mrs BarackStar! got after her husband was elected to
the senate several times in the forums . . . . Now we know why.

One of Obama's Earmarks Went to Hospital That Employs Michelle Obama

Dan Riehl notes, via Amanda Carpenter, that in the list of earmarks he requested, $1 Million was requested for the construction of a new hospital pavilion at the University Of Chicago. The request was put in in 2006.

You know who works for the University of Chicago Hospital?

Michelle Obama. She's vice president of community affairs.

As Byron noted, "In 2006, the Chicago Tribune reported that Mrs. Obama’s compensation at the University of Chicago Hospital, where she is a vice president for community affairs, jumped from $121,910 in 2004, just before her husband was elected to the Senate, to $316,962 in 2005, just after he took office."

Looks like that raise was worth it.

Link

this is the sort of thing that sticks.  it's simple to understand, and has an obvious quid pro quo.

Offline Wretched Excess

Re: $1M Obama Earmark Went to Hospital That Employs Michelle
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:46:40 PM »

More info

And among those that had been killed were his request in 2006 for $1 million for an expansion of the University of Chicago Medical Center, where Mr. Obama’s wife, Michelle, is a vice president.

Mr. Obama’s aides and officials at the hospital said Mr. Obama’s wife had had nothing to do with the request.

Senator Barack Obama on Thursday released a list of $740 million in earmarked spending requests that he had made over the last three years . . . . Mr. Obama’s presidential campaign also said that only about $220 million worth of his requests had been approved by Congress.

3/4 of a billion bucks, and "only" $220M approved?  for the odds-on favorite to be the nominee of the party
in control of congress, he certainly doesn't seem to have much juice.  he can give a speech like no politician
on the planet, but the more we learn about his effectiveness as a U.S. senator, the more we understand what
a raging mediocrity he is.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 12:21:18 PM »
If he were a Republican we all know how this would play out.....

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:45:01 PM »
If he were a Republican we all know how this would play out.....

yeah, it would play out with the naming of a special prosecutor.