Author Topic: Saratoga meet this year? Don't bet on it  (Read 1244 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Saratoga meet this year? Don't bet on it
« on: March 13, 2010, 03:40:40 PM »
This would be catastrophic for my region.  I grew up in Saratoga Springs, and the place depends heavily on tourism.  It's been said that the best time to open a restaurant in Saratoga Springs is the middle of July, as the track people will help you hit the black rather quickly.

Saratoga meet this year? Don't bet on it

Horse breeders say NYRA needs cash or track could be dark this summer
  By DENNIS YUSKO, Staff writer
First published in print: Saturday, March 13, 2010

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- Saratoga Race Course may not open this summer for the first time since World War II if state leaders don't help the New York Racing Association find revenue soon, frustrated horse breeders say.

This summer's meet at the unofficial home of racing will not be run, they say, if NYRA doesn't quickly get some of the nearly $15 million owed to it from New York City Off-Track Betting, or find a new racino operator for Aqueduct Race Track, Barry Ostrager, a NYRA board member, said Friday. He spoke after New York City OTB threatened to shut down at the end of the month and a second company in two years chosen by state leaders to run the Aqueduct racino didn't work out.

That NYRA will run out of money before the summer without new revenue sources is "empirically verifiable," said Ostrager, who also represents more than 1,000 breeders in the state as president of New York Thoroughbred Breeders Inc., based in Saratoga Springs.

"This is a for-real financial crisis that could prevent racing from occurring in Saratoga this summer with what I consider to be apocalyptic consequences," Ostrager said.

If there were no meet at Saratoga Race Course this summer it would further deteriorate, if not dissolve, New York racing and cause the collapse of Saratoga's tourist economy, he said.

The tag provided by the site:

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=911230#ixzz0i5xUgjOX

Carl would probably have a take on this.  All I know is that NYCOTB has been pretty badly run.  NYRA isn't a whole lot better.  I've got friends in the industry--I'll have to ask them and post their thinking.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: Saratoga meet this year? Don't bet on it
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 03:48:54 PM »
if state leaders don't help the New York Racing Association find revenue soon

Not one dime of tax dollars. Raise ticket prices or something, its not the job of everyone in the state or country to support a welfare race track.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 04:12:21 PM »
It is a half hour away but have never been to a days event even though I have said I would.

I worked for the Saratogian newspaper back in 1985 and the only time of the year Saratoga is a bustling place is in August.
To lose the track season would be a huge blow for the area and I am curious as to what exactly is meant by the phrase "$15 million owed to it from New York City Off-Track Betting".
Is this money the state has collected in taxes and fees but is now refusing to pay to the provider of that revenue?

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »
It is a half hour away but have never been to a days event even though I have said I would.

I worked for the Saratogian newspaper back in 1985 and the only time of the year Saratoga is a bustling place is in August.
To lose the track season would be a huge blow for the area and I am curious as to what exactly is meant by the phrase "$15 million owed to it from New York City Off-Track Betting".
Is this money the state has collected in taxes and fees but is now refusing to pay to the provider of that revenue?

I think it's money that NYCOTB owes NYRA for being able to simulcast the NYRA races.  Since NYCOTB is in bankruptcy, it's kinda difficult to pay it back.  I heard that NYRA has only one track that makes money--and it's Saratoga, so they'd be total fools to cancel the Saratoga meet.

Then again, these are politicians we're referring to . . .  
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.