Author Topic: GPS Navigation Systems  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
GPS Navigation Systems
« on: March 05, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »
Feel free to move this if there is a better forum, but I'm considering purchasing an automotive-type GPS nav system, and I've looked at several.  My  SIL loaned us a Garmin Nuvi 765 when we were down south over the holidays, and I really liked it, except that the screen was a bit small. 

Garmin has a relatively new version out called the Nuvi 1450, which has a 5" screen, and assuming it has all or more features than the 765, I think it would be close to what I want.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any user reviews of the 1450, as it appears to be new, and I am not going to join Consuner Reports to see if they review the unit.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Suggestions?

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: GPS Navigation Systems
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 04:52:32 AM »
I've used a MioMap street navigator before - It had issues with some of the vector joins on roads and would tell you to turn when there was no existing road or where a smaller road joined a major road on a sweeping bend.

Mostly I use a Magellan Explorist XL GPS as it has marine charts and topographic maps (but doesn't do turn by turn navigation)

I understand that you can use an Iphone to do things like street navigation these days as well.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: GPS Navigation Systems
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 11:41:03 AM »
I've used a MioMap street navigator before - It had issues with some of the vector joins on roads and would tell you to turn when there was no existing road or where a smaller road joined a major road on a sweeping bend.

Mostly I use a Magellan Explorist XL GPS as it has marine charts and topographic maps (but doesn't do turn by turn navigation)

I understand that you can use an Iphone to do things like street navigation these days as well.

Thanks, I'm basically looking for a simple system for the car.......I've discovered on a recent long trip that due to advancing age, my night vision is no longer what it once was, and I have difficulty reading signs at night, particularly the white on green freeway signs (the white on brown tollroad signs are even worse for me) so the turn by turn system is what I'm looking for.

I don't need an Iphone, as I have a cellular phone that works just fine, and costs practically nothing, plus, reading a small screen while trying to drive kinda defeats the purpose.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.