Author Topic: Detroit Mayor Bing emphasizes need to shrink city  (Read 1452 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Detroit Mayor Bing emphasizes need to shrink city
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:09:13 AM »
-Mayor Dave Bing said Wednesday he "absolutely" intends to relocate residents from desolate neighborhoods and is bracing for inevitable legal challenges when he unveils his downsizing plan.

In his strongest statements about shrinking the city since taking office, Bing told WJR-760 AM the city is using internal and external data to decide "winners and losers." The city plans to save some neighborhoods and encourage residents to move from others, he said.

"If we don't do it, you know this whole city is going to go down. I'm hopeful people will understand that," Bing said. "If we can incentivize some of those folks that are in those desolate areas, they can get a better situation."

Advertisement

"If they stay where they are I absolutely cannot give them all the services they require."

He said there's no timeline, price tag or estimate on the number of people who would have to be moved, but said federal funding would be needed. Bing said he plans to focus on the neighborhoods in which Detroit Public Schools plans to build schools with $500.5 million in bonds voters approved last year.

"You can't support every neighborhood," Bing told WJR's Frank Beckmann. "You can't support every community across this city. Those communities that are stable, we can't allow them to go down the tubes. That's not a good business decision from my vantage point."...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100225/METRO01/2250391/Detroit-Mayor-Bing-emphasizes-need-to-shrink-city#ixzz0gZ43XRVu

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Detroit Mayor Bing emphasizes need to shrink city
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 10:31:05 AM »
Bulldoze the entire city and start over.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 11:26:26 AM »
I say we take off, and nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 12:38:45 PM »
Bulldoze the entire city and start over.

The shithole that Detroit has become defies description.

Bing hasn't quite figured out that the city isn't a basketball court; that a full-court press isn't going to save the championship.

Speaking of sports, the Lions, Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons really ought to seek new homes.

It's the only humane thing to do.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 08:48:08 PM »
The city sure needs help
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:57:38 PM »
I say we take off, and nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

+1.  I'll have Bishop prep the other drop ship for dust-off.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus