Author Topic: "I've really never been afraid for my life at the Red Lobster"  (Read 9118 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
"I've really never been afraid for my life at the Red Lobster"
« on: February 17, 2010, 09:35:15 AM »
Living up to his/her/it's name, Brain Damaged talked about...gun control?

DainBramaged  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-16-10 06:08 PM
Original message http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=118x293139

The Democratically-controlled Virginia Senate has voted to allow concealed weapons permit holders to carry guns in restaurants that serve alcohol, as long as the person carrying the weapon does not drink. The gun bill passed on a 22 to 18 vote, after senators had a vigorous debate about whether or not people might have a reasonable reason to carry guns in restaurants.

The House has passed a similar bill; Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) has expressed support for the measure, and is expected to sign it into law. Both chambers also passed it last year, but Gov. Tim Kaine (D) vetoed it.

Sen. Emmett Hanger (R), who sponsored the measure, said he was doing so on behalf of those who now violate the law that prohibits guns in such establishments rather than leave their weapons in their cars when they go out to eat. He said this was a particular issue for women who carry guns in their purses to defend themselves when they go to, say, Red Lobster. (That was Hanger's example.)

Others argued guns have no place in eating establishments where alcohol is being served. Though the bill would prohibit a weapons carrier from drinking, the opponents said it would be impossible to tell if the law was being violated if the gun was concealed.

The debate was concluded by Sen. Mary Margaret Whipple (D). "As a final comment, let me just say this. I've really never been afraid for my life at the Red Lobster," she said.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/virginiapolitics/2010/...

When do those of us who don't need to or want to carry guns, or want to be exposed to them, get a crack at our right to life without guns?

::)

Pavulon (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-16-10 06:09 PM
Response to Original message
1. When you move to japan. A country with no 2nd amendment
 dont carry one. thats your right. exposure is pretty silly.

Of course, criminals still have guns in Japan.

K8-EEE  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-16-10 08:13 PM
Response to Reply #1
67. It's true, the way they've twisted the 2nd amendment we are 
 destined to live in a country with constant shootings, child gun accidents etc.

It's a shame but I've completely given up hope for it to ever change.

The best you can do (short of moving to another country) is to avoid gun nuts as much as possible and whatever you do don't date a "protective" guy who is into guns. Best way to get shot -- happened to my friend 20 years ago and it seems like not a week goes by without some kind of impuslive "passion" shooting in the paper/

In the making up facts out of our ass department...

K8-EEE  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-16-10 11:14 PM
Response to Reply #73
97. I don't think it's "well regulated militia" people doing the shoot em ups
 Nor do I think "well regulated" = "unregulated." Because the NRA and their ilk fight Every. Single. Regulation. EVERY ONE. They want GUNS to be the most unregulated product in the country and for this we have 30,000 gun deaths a year WE'RE NUMBER ONE! USA! USA!

X_Digger  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-16-10 11:54 PM
Response to Reply #102
103. I don't know how to make it clearer..
 .. you have to torture the english language to make it mean what you think it means.

Let's break this down grammatically.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Let's update the language a bit..

"Since a well regulated militia is necessary to the security of a free state, the people's right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

or if we rearrange the clauses, as we would normally do in modern English..

"The people's right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed because a well regulated militia is necessary to the security of a free state."

Does that make it any clearer for you?

Of course, the larger point that you seem to have missed is that the bill of rights isn't an exhaustive list of our rights (otherwise, the ninth and tenth amendments would make no sense whatsoever!) Rights aren't limited by the bill of rights; the bill of rights was a restriction on government, as demonstrated by the preamble-

"The Conventions of a number of the States having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best insure the beneficent ends of its institution"

Now, "abuse of it's powers" by whom? Certainly not the people.

Well written arguement. it won't last.

Cleita  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-16-10 06:19 PM
Response to Reply #7
10. So people, I guess I'm going to have to cook at home if we get a law like that 
 in my state. Restaurant owners take note. I don't want to go to any public place where civilians are carrying guns. At least police will be investigated if they shoot off theirs even if it's justified. A civilian can just disappear into the crowd. 

AndyA  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-16-10 06:20 PM
12. Haven't you heard?
 The right to bear arms trumps everyone else's right to live their life. Actions speak louder than words. The fact that you don't want to be around a bunch of drunk people packing heat doesn't matter.

To me, it all boils down to this: Would you allow a stranger on the street to leave with your 8 year old daughter in their car? You don't know the man, where he's going, or when he'll be back.

In order to let him leave with your child, you'd have to have trust in him, right? Well, trust is EARNED, it's not automatic.

So, if you can't trust that man to leave with your daughter, how can you trust him to carry a gun around her?

The bottom line is, you can't.

Andy has reading comprehention problems.

fasttense (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-16-10 06:20 PM
14. As if guns are going to make them safe.
 It didn't make the Iraqis safe.

they didn't make Jesus safe either.

farmout rightarm (554 posts)      Tue Feb-16-10 06:48 PM
30. Stay away from cops and soldiers.

:banghead:

mwrguy (12 posts)      Tue Feb-16-10 07:31 PM
Response to Reply #41
48. Can the government be held liable?
 They are facilitating another massacre. Who will be held responsible when it happens?

How about the person who does the shooting?

K8-EEE  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-16-10 11:18 PM
Response to Reply #75
100. OK I'll go with that.
 Lemme tell you these 'religious' freeper types give them a choice between the gunz and Jesus and Jesus goes DOWN.

:banghead:

DainBramaged  (1000+ posts)        Wed Feb-17-10 09:56 AM
Response to Reply #82
123. I see you got the replies you didn't like deleted, how ****ing Constitutional of you
 you gun lovers think freedom of speech only extends to you.......asshole.

K8-EEE  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-16-10 08:19 PM
Response to Reply #59
71. Because it's a paranoid mindset
 It's repuke all the way. The dumbest thing is when they act like their guns are protecting them from "the government." Yeah right like the government with an ARMY and NUCLEAR WEAPONS is soooo afraid of your gun!

Sounds like we the people need better weapons.

DainBramaged  (1000+ posts)        Wed Feb-17-10 04:11 AM
Response to Reply #117
118. "I also have a loaded revolver beside my bed."
 What horrible paranoia. I feel sorry for you. You are the one filled with fear.

Oh and if you think I'm a 'gun controller', fine. It's scarred people like yourself who wind up killing someone accidentally.

Yeah...like that crazy professor at HAAAA-vard....

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Re: "I've really never been afraid for my life at the Red Lobster"
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:42:57 AM »
Dunno about Red Lobster, but, I feel a hell of a lot more prepared to meet a frantic gunman at a Luby's now.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:41:24 AM »
I predict a huge drop in violent crime in Virgina.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:02:02 AM »
I would like to know the score. How many gun crimes committed by people legally packing heat, vs. the number of crimes prevented? I imagine it would be a score the DUmmies wouldn't appreciate. It's probably happened, but I personally cannot recall ever hearing of a crime committed by someone using legally concealed firearm. Lots of times it may be someone who legally owned the weapon, but concealed carry is a different story.

Offline djones520

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 11:05:26 AM »
I always enjoy watching the anti-gun and pro-gun DUmmies go at each other.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 11:17:47 AM »
Do these people understand that CCL holders have the lowest gun crime rate of any indentifiable segment of the population? With the exception of the blind and paraplegic

Offline Specbid

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 11:26:19 AM »

DainBramaged  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-16-10 06:08 PM
original message

Misses the point of carrying completely...ONE NEVER KNOWS when one might need a weapon. Ever hear the phrase "when you least expect it, expect it."?

Of course you'll be aware of your surroundings if you're in a dangerous part of town. You know, anywhere near Martin Luther King Blvd.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 11:40:08 AM »
Gun-Free Zones equal target areas for would be mass murderers.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 11:57:26 AM »
Wonder what those in the latest shooting that made headlines think. It was a frikkin' moonbat that went off the deep end and strted killin' people. They certainly had sympathy for that idiot! Of course she was a socialst that had been treated wrong though. That makes it okay, I suppose. If just one of those in the room had a CCL, it would have saved lives.

But that doesn't get discussed, does it? Asshole bandits, every one of them that disparages the Second.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Oh I don't know, have you seen the claws on one of those lobsters? It'd be just like one of those PETA moonbats to take the rubber bands off their claws and set them free. You'd have them running around everywhere pinching the customers. A couple of people with a conceal-carry permit could blow the little ****ers' heads off, thus saving many an injury and possible lawsuit.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 12:01:42 PM »

Misses the point of carrying completely...ONE NEVER KNOWS when one might need a weapon. Ever hear the phrase "when you least expect it, expect it."?

Of course you'll be aware of your surroundings if you're in a dangerous part of town. You know, anywhere near Martin Luther King Blvd.

That's racist! Never mind the fact that 12% of the population commit 60% of the crimes! We can't figure that 'cause according to Sharpton and Reggie, we're prejudiced and profiling!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 12:07:05 PM »
That's racist! Never mind the fact that 12% of the population commit 60% of the crimes! We can't figure that 'cause according to Sharpton and Reggie, we're prejudiced and profiling!

Actually closer to 6% (according to the FBI statistics).........black males......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »
Actually closer to 6% (according to the FBI statistics).........black males......
doc
Actually, closer to 3%.....those under age 30. And 60% is probably an understatement.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 12:27:23 PM »
Those same Libtards would be scared to death in Minnesota. Not only can one carry in a bar or restaurant, but one can also have an alcoholic beverage or two ( depends on body weight, the BAC limit is 0.04% while carrying). The prudent advice from the carry crowd there is, of course, don't drink while carrying due to the possible legal ramifications. The FACT is that nobody has been shot from anybody actually carrying in a bar. There was one drunk man that went to his car (or home, it's unclear), retrieved his carry weapon and returned to shoot and kill a drunk undercover cop. One bar incident in 6 years of shall issue isn't bad, IMO.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 12:29:48 PM »
Oh I don't know, have you seen the claws on one of those lobsters? It'd be just like one of those PETA moonbats to take the rubber bands off their claws and set them free.

Nah, they would leave the rubberbands on and set them free in a lake.... heh

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 12:41:05 PM »
Nah, they would leave the rubberbands on and set them free in a lake.... heh

Of course, you ask a DUmmie why the rubber bands are on in the first place, and they'll inevitably get the answer wrong.

Hint: It ain't so they won't pinch YOU, it's so they won't eat EACH OTHER.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 12:49:09 PM »
Those same Libtards would be scared to death in Minnesota. Not only can one carry in a bar or restaurant, but one can also have an alcoholic beverage or two ( depends on body weight, the BAC limit is 0.04% while carrying). The prudent advice from the carry crowd there is, of course, don't drink while carrying due to the possible legal ramifications. The FACT is that nobody has been shot from anybody actually carrying in a bar. There was one drunk man that went to his car (or home, it's unclear), retrieved his carry weapon and returned to shoot and kill a drunk undercover cop. One bar incident in 6 years of shall issue isn't bad, IMO.

Unfortunately, that is all the left needs. One circumstance! It's what they consider proof that we're all gun packin' sadists!

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 02:28:48 PM »
Why do the DUmpmonkies try to lie about something they know nothing about? They said that when Florida allowed CCW that the streets would run red with blood and repeted that same lie for each and every other state that follwed. Just like Glowbull Warming ,If you have to lie to state your case then you have no case. 
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 02:53:35 PM »
How about Rock Lobster? (Obscure B52's reference.) (There goes a dogfish.)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 02:56:54 PM »
How about Rock Lobster? (Obscure B52's reference.) (There goes a dogfish.)

Chased by a catfish.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 03:40:46 PM »
The debate was concluded by Sen. Mary Margaret Whipple (D). "As a final comment, let me just say this. I've really never been afraid for my life at the Red Lobster," she said.

Well, Ms. Einstein, have you ever been afraid for your life in a dark parking lot, or broken down by the side of the road, or gassing up your car at some prime-robbery-target C-store on the way home from a night of dining out?  Maybe not, it's likely you lack the foresight to realize the danger you could have been in during any of those typical events associated with a simple evening trip out to eat.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 03:45:30 PM »
I would like to know the score. How many gun crimes committed by people legally packing heat, vs. the number of crimes prevented? I imagine it would be a score the DUmmies wouldn't appreciate. It's probably happened, but I personally cannot recall ever hearing of a crime committed by someone using legally concealed firearm. Lots of times it may be someone who legally owned the weapon, but concealed carry is a different story.

There's just been a handfull of CCW crimes compared to millions....I'll let that sink into our DUmmie lurkers a second....M.I.L.L.I.O.N.S of crimes prevented. DUmbasses need to remember that just having a gun is as much a deterrent as using said gun.

Most criminals are just as big of pussies as your typical DUmmie/Democrat. Just the action of reaching for a concealed weapon causes a loosening of bladder and bowel and legs to start running. The "victim" not turning into a sniveling ball of snot when approached because they are armed and confidant also is a deterrent to criminal activities.

Remember DUmmies, you're only a victim because you allow it. If you are in charge of a situation then you have the upper hand, gun or no gun. The intended victim having a gun just allows the field to be leveled. Knowing how to use and being confident in your abilities to use the tool at your disposal tilts the field in your favor.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 03:47:05 PM »
Well, Ms. Einstein, have you ever been afraid for your life in a dark parking lot, or broken down by the side of the road, or gassing up your car at some prime-robbery-target C-store on the way home from a night of dining out?  Maybe not, it's likely you lack the foresight to realize the danger you could have been in during any of those typical events associated with a simple evening trip out to eat.

DUmmies are scared by the sound of their own breathing so shitting a brick going past a lobster tank isn't surprising in the least.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 05:24:32 PM »
There's just been a handfull of CCW crimes compared to millions....I'll let that sink into our DUmmie lurkers a second....M.I.L.L.I.O.N.S of crimes prevented. DUmbasses need to remember that just having a gun is as much a deterrent as using said gun.

Most criminals are just as big of pussies as your typical DUmmie/Democrat. Just the action of reaching for a concealed weapon causes a loosening of bladder and bowel and legs to start running. The "victim" not turning into a sniveling ball of snot when approached because they are armed and confidant also is a deterrent to criminal activities.

Remember DUmmies, you're only a victim because you allow it. If you are in charge of a situation then you have the upper hand, gun or no gun. The intended victim having a gun just allows the field to be leveled. Knowing how to use and being confident in your abilities to use the tool at your disposal tilts the field in your favor.

I think that you are missing the DUmmies basic motivation for their position......the criminal element is their constituency......more armed citizens simply means more dead (or severely injured) constituents........

Even though they do their best to make certain that the dead ones still vote......the ones in lockup are considerably less likely to do so.....yet......

dpc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 05:40:36 PM »
I think that you are missing the DUmmies basic motivation for their position......the criminal element is their constituency......more armed citizens simply means more dead (or severely injured) constituents........

Even though they do their best to make certain that the dead ones still vote......the ones in lockup are considerably less likely to do so.....yet......
dpc
You got that right. When I watch Cops or First 48, the douchebag who ends up in handcuffs is a democrat about 98% of the time. Not 60%. 98%. Of course, a very high percentage of their victims are democrat douchebags as well.