Author Topic: Gnostic Gospels  (Read 60267 times)

Offline ColonelCarrots

Re: Gnostic Gospels
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2013, 12:30:25 PM »
You say the life before Jesus  met John the Baptist is not relevant.   For goodness sake John was the son of Jesus mothers sister.  He Jesus and John must have known and grew up with each other. Small town and family must have gathered together quite often.   

Naturally this is relevant, family bond by blood of Jesus and John for many years. Both were raised together and worshiped together with both family's on High Holy days.

Very much like today's family's where two sisters visit often and the their kids play together. These two cousins had to have found a common bond, somewhere in the their adult formative lives that we have no record of.

Question is how John had the power to baptise the Son of God if he did not have the Power to do so if the Holy Spirit did not dwell in him ??

The more questions I have transcends faith, it becomes fact and brings this into  the realm of --- not faith but belief, a real thing that happend and the truth and not some old story from the past that has been fiddled with for 2000 years to benefit others.

The more I learn about Jesus the more I believe in Him, His life is very relevant to me, who he was raised by, who his teachers were, his parents Mary and Joseph and the family's on both sides of the family.   

All a huge influence on Jesus  to my mind , a someone not to have just faith but belief in that changed the world.   
Because the Gospel is the birth, burial, and resurrection of Christ. The Synoptic Gospels and John are really what you need. Jesus doesn't need a teacher. Why would Jesus the Son of God need a school teacher? Wouldn't Jesus' ministry be sufficient and not what he ate every Tuesday?

All Old Testament prophets, leaders, who spoke God's word had the Holy Spirit cover them in a sense for a period of time. John the Baptist died before Jesus says he would bring down a comforter which is the Holy Spirit and wouldn't leave them.

You can read the Gnostic Gospels all you want, but you need to read Romans. Don't put other rituals and other teachings before your faith. You don't need to worry about did Adam have a belly button, or if Jesus had long hair. Just worry about the fear of the Lord.

Its good to be educated, but you need to worry about learning too much because sometimes your lines begin to blur and you can distinguish what is true and what isn't. In the Gnostic Gospels it says that John the Baptist ate a root plant, but my KJV Bible says he ate honey and locusts, and people thought he was Elijah. Elijah ate honey and locusts.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2013, 12:33:14 PM »
or an adulterer but the Bible never actually states this. It is believed that elements with in the church spread this false assumption  in order to diminish her role (and the role of women in general) in Jesus' ministry.

I hear prostitute. Never heard adulterer. I am well aware the Bible never said that. Some say she was married to Jesus. I am not suggesting it in any way. I am going by what I have read in the past. She was a target of gossip/rumors as they did not want female priests.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:35:21 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
I hear prostitute. Never heard adulterer. I am well aware the Bible never said that. Some say she was married to Jesus. I am not suggesting it in any way. I am going by what I have read in the past. She was a target of gossip/rumors as they did not want female priests.

In some stories she has been linked to the woman in John 8 that was accused of adultery.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2013, 08:01:21 AM »
In some stories she has been linked to the woman in John 8 that was accused of adultery.

Is that the same one Jesus rid of several demons? I get the Mary's confused....
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2013, 08:29:49 AM »
Is that the same one Jesus rid of several demons? I get the Mary's confused....

The Bible states that Mary Magdalene had seven demons removed
and also some women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out,
Luke 8:2

It never really gives the name of the woman accused of adultery.

There are quite a few women named Mary in the four Gospels and it does get hard keeping track of them all
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2013, 01:52:46 PM »
Thanks!
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2013, 01:49:01 PM »
You say the life before Jesus  met John the Baptist is not relevant.   For goodness sake John was the son of Jesus mothers sister.
 Mary and Elisabeth were NOT sisters.  
Luk 1:36       And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.

He Jesus and John must have known and grew up with each other. Small town and family must have gathered together quite often.

Mary and Elisabeth didn't live in the same town.
Luk 1:39, 40  And Mary arose in those days, and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Juda;
And entered into the house of Zacharias, and saluted Elisabeth.

Naturally this is relevant, family bond by blood of Jesus and John for many years. Both were raised together and worshiped together with both family's on High Holy days.

Very much like today's family's where two sisters visit often and the their kids play together. These two cousins had to have found a common bond, somewhere in the their adult formative lives that we have no record of.

Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Jesus was born there.  They lived there until they fled to Egypt to preserve His life.  When they returned from Egypt, they lived in Nazareth.  Those moves all fulfilled prophecy, by the way.  But they mean that Jesus and John did not grow up together!!

Question is how John had the power to baptise the Son of God if he did not have the Power to do so if the Holy Spirit did not dwell in him ??

The more questions I have transcends faith, it becomes fact and brings this into  the realm of --- not faith but belief, a real thing that happend and the truth and not some old story from the past that has been fiddled with for 2000 years to benefit others.

Vesta, YOU are fiddling with this history, getting all the facts wrong and then calling it a "story" that has been fiddled with for 2000 years!  Read the New Testament.  It's 2000 years old!!!

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2013, 04:55:11 AM »
Another awesome and informative thread.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.