Author Topic: Any photographers in here?  (Read 8815 times)

Offline Full-Auto

• Topic Moderator
Any photographers in here?
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:15:45 AM »
How many photographers do we have in here?  Show yourselves!

Are you a Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony, Fujifilm, other shooter?  Let me know!  I'm curious darn it.  :)

Feel free to post pics too.  

I shot this picture in California a couple of weeks ago (Newport Beach).  

Here's a larger picture (looks much better):  http://www.intempusphotography.com/Photography/Random-Pictures/Gull2/766209852_EY846-XL.jpg

Oh, and I'm a Canon kind of guy.  :)


Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Any photographers in here?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »
I do a little of it........old school, with film.

I use a Nikon, and a Hasselblad for larger format, and used to do my own processing, but haven't in a while.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 02:35:19 PM »
I used a Minolta aperture-priority film camera for years, but never did any processing except b&w. Shot a lot of slides back then.

Just recently went over to the dark side with a Nikon digital and two lenses.

Basically just a point-n-shoot picture taker these days.  :p
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 02:39:27 PM »
Another Minolta DSLR user here.  Too bad Konica-Minolta is no more... they were bought by Sony a few years ago.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Flame

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 03:00:21 PM »
I have a Canon Rebel XT...it's like 6 years old, and I'd love to upgrade, but alas, I have children.

Offline Full-Auto

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »
Sony has some cool new stuff coming out.  I think eventually Sony will breath new life into the Minolta brand (well, Sony brand now).


Offline Flame

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 06:31:43 PM »
BTW, my avatar is picture I took of a just before sunrise thunder storm in the Bahamas....I had just gotten my camera.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:35:10 PM »
Have a 35mm Minolta Maxxum 50 that just died on me last weekend and my new toy is a Nikon D3000 DSLR. I can't understand why I waited so long to go to digitial. Still like film though and I hope to have a place I can put my own darkroom in one of these days. Love to get an old Leica. Those things last forever.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Full-Auto

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 09:03:50 PM »
That's the nice thing about film cameras, they do last forever.  Digital bodies wear out eventually... and become horribly dated in 5-8 years.  It's kind of sad... I know guys shooting film cameras that are older than I am but if my son can still use one of my digital bodies in 20 years I'll be AMAZED.


Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 09:14:55 PM »
I'm a Nikon Fan - Have a D300 and collection of fairly routine lenses.

Mostly favor natural landscape environments.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 03:14:53 PM »
I used too......but I can't get the models FA gets........... :naughty:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Full-Auto

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 08:33:49 PM »
I used too......but I can't get the models FA gets........... :naughty:
Get on Model Mayhem, you'll get them.  :)  It the best dating modeling website out there.   :-)


Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 08:52:50 PM »
That's the nice thing about film cameras, they do last forever.  Digital bodies wear out eventually... and become horribly dated in 5-8 years.  It's kind of sad... I know guys shooting film cameras that are older than I am but if my son can still use one of my digital bodies in 20 years I'll be AMAZED.

It's why I'm not a fan of computers in cameras. I've had my Minolta since 2003, and it lasted about six and half years. But give me an old manual everything camera, and I'll keep it forever with proper care.

I was not keen on buying a digital, but it's kind growing on me. It's nice to see what you got when you take a picture. I didn't realize my 35mm had crapped out until I developed my photos for my BW photo class and nothing came out. At that point, it was too late to reshoot and I dropped it.

And at less than $800 for the body, two lenses and a case, if it lasts 5-10 years, I've got my money's worth, I think. I'll never be a professional, or even semi-pro, so as much as I drool over that $20,000 Hasselblad med-format digital, that's the kind of thing I'll never buy. Stick to film for things like that.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 11:07:19 AM »

True....My Nikon (FTN) dates to 1970, and the Hasselblad was manufactured in '75......interesting thing about both is that all of the current lenses still fit and work fine, and if I want to, I can buy a digital "back" to convert them if necessary.

Even with the limited availability of specialty film emulsions today, you can still do a hell of a lot more with film than digital, especially in large format enlargements.  The problem is good professional processing labs are hard to find......

I shot a 2-1/4" landscape frame years ago in Yellowstone Park (Kodacolor Professional, ASA 25) that my wife wanted in mural format......I had it enlarged to 8 X 8 FEET, without significant loss of image detail......you ain't gonna do that with a digital image, no matter how good the camera is......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Online Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 11:28:58 AM »
Yup, I take pictures all the time.  Heck, I'm even published;

:-)

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 12:23:58 PM »
Get on Model Mayhem, you'll get them.  :)  It the best dating modeling website out there.   :-)

It was easy to find Ieva, but Holly, I can't find. That girls got some curves.
My wife is the photog in the family. I'll see if she'll send me a couple pics of BBHC (Big Brother and the Holding Co). Sam Andrew loves the shots she gets.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 08:06:54 PM »
I have a Minolta DiMAGE Z1 I bought it on ebay 4 years ago. i have put it thru heck. I noticed the viewfinder does not work now, just the screen part. I take photos all the time of the wildlife up here. Chipmunks ect.  What  is a good camera now a days? :popcorn:

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 08:46:30 PM »
You can pick up a entry level dSLR with lens and probably a few other accessories for under a grand these days no problems. In some cases they're actually cheaper than a equivalent "all in one" type camera, and even do video in some models.

I'd suggest Nikon or Canon as places to start looking at what you can get.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 09:11:55 PM »
You can pick up a entry level dSLR with lens and probably a few other accessories for under a grand these days no problems. In some cases they're actually cheaper than a equivalent "all in one" type camera, and even do video in some models.

I'd suggest Nikon or Canon as places to start looking at what you can get.

Thanks.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline john5hopes

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 05:23:18 AM »
I am not a photographer but love to take pictures of nature.
I want to be a wildlife photographer, its my dream.
Yet I don't know much about it but I think in this field your creativity matters more than your knowledge.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 06:55:49 PM »
I want to start taking pictures again. i don't know much about cameras, before I just used a FujiFilm digital. It was a point and shoot, but it died. Cowboy got a Kodak but it's not a point and shoot so  any pic I try to take comes out weird(I don't think I hold it still long enough)
Anyonbe know of a cheap and easy point and shoot digital? I got some pretty good pics with the old Fuji. Here's some:

I don't know how good they are..but I like to take them
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »
very nice Ree!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 10:46:27 PM »
very nice Ree!
thank you...I used to take pics all the time...
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 03:03:36 AM »
I have a Sony A100. Bought it when they first came out.  I have a Minolta 70-300mm lens which is the reason I went with the A100.  Absolutely love it!  Use it in manual mode most of the time.  Here are some shots(I hope):

The rest are here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v492/md11hydmec/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 03:15:54 AM by md11hydmec »
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."-----John Galt, Atlas Shrugged