Author Topic: US least effective against preventable deaths  (Read 4043 times)

Offline jtyangel

US least effective against preventable deaths
« on: January 09, 2008, 10:01:22 AM »
Tue Jan 8, 4:45 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - France is tops, and the United States dead last, in providing timely and effective healthcare to its citizens, according to a survey Tuesday of preventable deaths in 19 industrialized countries.
ADVERTISEMENT

The study by the Commonwealth Fund and published in the January/February issue of the journal Health Affairs measured developed countries' effectiveness at providing timely and effective healthcare.

The study, entitled "Measuring the Health of Nations: Updating an Earlier Analysis," was written by researchers from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. It looked at death rates in subjects younger than 75 that could have been prevented by timely and effective medical care.

The researchers found that while most countries surveyed saw preventable deaths decline by an average of 16 percent, the United States saw only a four percent dip.

The non-profit Commonwealth Fund, which financed the study, expressed alarm at the findings.

"It is startling to see the US falling even farther behind on this crucial indicator of health system performance," said Commonwealth Fund Senior Vice President Cathy Schoen, who noted that "other countries are reducing these preventable deaths more rapidly, yet spending far less."

The 19 countries, in order of best to worst, were: France, Japan, Australia, Austria, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom and the United States.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080108/lf_afp/ushealthfrancemortality_080108191353

For anyone who wants to peruse The Commonwealth Fund's site

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/

Claims are on the front page.

Have fun critiquing and commenting on this folks.  :naughty:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: US least effective against preventable deaths
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 10:13:21 AM »
I see that the U.K. is next to last. Hmm.....socialized medicine have anything to do with it? I just read somewhere yesterday that they are going to ask people to "treat themselves" under the NHS.  :mental: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/02/nhs102.xml That's going to go over well!  ::)

And people are dying to come to the U.S. Maybe we should hand out flyers with this info so they will be detered.  :hammer:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 10:15:58 AM »
The Commonwealth Fund is a private foundation that aims to promote a high performing health care system that achieves better access, improved quality, and greater efficiency, particularly for society's most vulnerable, including low-income people, the uninsured, minority Americans, young children, and elderly adults.

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/aboutus/

you don't have to go much farther than the mission statement from their website to figure
out what's going on here.  the headline story on their website extols the virtues of universal
health care.   before you can burn down the current system and replace it with socialized
medicine, you have to "prove" that it doesn't work

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 11:08:38 AM »
The Commonwealth Fund is a private foundation that aims to promote a high performing health care system that achieves better access, improved quality, and greater efficiency, particularly for society's most vulnerable, including low-income people, the uninsured, minority Americans, young children, and elderly adults.

you don't have to go much farther than the mission statement from their website to figure
out what's going on here.  the headline story on their website extols the virtues of universal
health care.   before you can burn down the current system and replace it with socialized

They have an AGENDA???

Color me shocked, SHOCKED!!!
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 12:24:18 PM »
I see that the U.K. is next to last. Hmm.....socialized medicine have anything to do with it? I just read somewhere yesterday that they are going to ask people to "treat themselves" under the NHS.  :mental: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/02/nhs102.xml That's going to go over well!  ::)

And people are dying to come to the U.S. Maybe we should hand out flyers with this info so they will be detered.  :hammer:

So that's what socialized medicine comes down too: gov keeps all those taxes and you still basically have no coverage except a pot of chicken noodle soup and some cough syrup that you foot the bill for yourself anyway. :lmao: It's pitiful, isn't it Dixie?

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:29:12 PM »

'

BINGO..I think that's why I wanted to post it more then its 'unbiased conclusions'( :bs:). As I was reading it and researching The Commonwealth Fund on my own it just occured to me how many people probably don't bother to go any further then reading one little article and forming a conclusion or bolstering their position. 'OMG, we are the bottom! THE BOTTOM! Socialized medicine, now, now, now' :whatever:

Offline lastparker

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 02:13:58 PM »
Here's what socialized medicine will get you:

'Professional hypochondriac' arrested in Austria

A 59-year-old Austrian man has been arrested for faking illnesses and injuries so that he could live rent-free in hospitals for the past two years, police announced on Tuesday.

The man, who has been unemployed for 21 years, faked so many injuries and illnesses that he was able to stay in a total of 93 different hospitals since 2005, local police in Muerzzuschlag in Styria said in a statement.

His scam was estimated to have cost the Austrian healthcare system as much as 100,000 euros (147,000 dollars) in bed and board during the period, the police said.

A doctor in the Muerzzuschlag hospital became suspicious when he could find nothing wrong with the man after he was brought in by the local services claiming to have suffered severe cranial damage in an alleged fall.

On closer questioning, the man admitted to having faked injuries and illnesses in the past so that he could have a bed and free meals in hospital, police said.

He has been arrested and charged with welfare fraud.

This was on my local radio station this morning, and they didn't post a link to their source on the web recap.

Someone needs to get this valuable info over to Ladyhawk at the DUmp.
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 02:20:20 PM »
Here's what socialized medicine will get you:

'Professional hypochondriac' arrested in Austria

A 59-year-old Austrian man has been arrested for faking illnesses and injuries so that he could live rent-free in hospitals for the past two years, police announced on Tuesday.

The man, who has been unemployed for 21 years, faked so many injuries and illnesses that he was able to stay in a total of 93 different hospitals since 2005, local police in Muerzzuschlag in Styria said in a statement.

His scam was estimated to have cost the Austrian healthcare system as much as 100,000 euros (147,000 dollars) in bed and board during the period, the police said.

A doctor in the Muerzzuschlag hospital became suspicious when he could find nothing wrong with the man after he was brought in by the local services claiming to have suffered severe cranial damage in an alleged fall.

On closer questioning, the man admitted to having faked injuries and illnesses in the past so that he could have a bed and free meals in hospital, police said.

He has been arrested and charged with welfare fraud.

This was on my local radio station this morning, and they didn't post a link to their source on the web recap.

Someone needs to get this valuable info over to Ladyhawk at the DUmp.

How is good ole Ladyhawk? I think she hides in the mental health forums now to stay out of the reach of conservative criticism. What a waste of a life.